Took my private check ride today!!!

Boss1714

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boss1714
Like the title says, I took my private check ride today. Got grilled like a piece of meat, but needless to say I passed! 5 hours later the DPE was printing out my temp certificate from IACRA.

I was wondering where'd you take it to.

Oh, Congats Pilot. and welcome to PoA

Congratulations! This is an accomplishment that very few of us in the human race ever have the privilege to do.

Congratulations. Do you mind expanding on how the DE "grilled you"?

The DPE was very thorough on aircraft systems and current inspection records. He always asked a follow up question like "oh I was unaware that worked that way, can you elaborate on that" or "when does that inspection come due again". In all it wasn't too bad given hindsight, but it definitely exposed my weaker areas, so I'm definitely gonna do some studying. In all, it was a very positive experience, but stressful.

Congratulations!

And there are tons of people that have flown planes before you. But very few in the past have paid $10,000 for it! Consider yourself an elitist now.

Congratulations! This is an accomplishment that very few of us in the human race ever have the privilege to do.

Congratulaions! Welcome to a group that represents less than two tenths precent of the US population.

I strongly suspect I would not pass the oral today...
Been flying too long to have any respect for the idiocy of reciting meaningless minutiae - and I likely have an attitude issue that would grate on official sensibilities...

I strongly suspect I would not pass the oral today...
Been flying too long to have any respect for the idiocy of reciting meaningless minutiae - and I likely have an attitude issue that would grate on official sensibilities...

How do you pass bi-annuals?

The DPE was very thorough on aircraft systems and current inspection records. He always asked a follow up question like "oh I was unaware that worked that way, can you elaborate on that" or "when does that inspection come due again". In all it wasn't too bad given hindsight, but it definitely exposed my weaker areas, so I'm definitely gonna do some studying. In all, it was a very positive experience, but stressful.

It is meant to be a learning experience, buy after 5 hours the human mind is reaching it's limit to learn effectively. Take about burn out.

You made it in any event! Well Done! :cheers:

Like the title says, I took my private check ride today. Got grilled like a piece of meat, but needless to say I passed! 5 hours later the DPE was printing out my temp certificate from IACRA.

Congrats! (I guess no one has told you yet, we require writeups on your checkride.) :) Ok, maybe when your cheeks quit hurting from the perma-grin.

Last edited:
Geico - Well, my biennial check pilot is an ATP CFII who is related directly to Genghis Khan and loves to see you sweat and squirm as he slides burning splinters under your finger nails...

I do my biennial annually - just for the sheer pleasure...
He asks no trivia and what he does ask - well lets just say you had better know your airplane AND your physics...

As far as the OP, Ya did good!

Congratulations!

I had a similar experience with my recent checkride and know how long those hours felt. My oral alone was 5 hours. I was so tired I didn't even feel like flying the next day.

My gosh you guys have long orals!

Congratulations to you, where will you fly on your very first Private Pilot flight? Will you have passengers?

Good for you. Welcome to the community of pilots.

Back