"too risky"

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Took a short flight today to Marshfield, MA (very nice airport, by the way... turn base right over the beach, and the FBO folks will give you a ride to the beach or a restaurant in their van and then pick you up!)

My passenger was quite stunned at the quantity (and unintelligibility, to him) of the all the radio chatter. "It all sounds like just numbers!" he said. "But I was surprised at how everyone was saying things are too risky all the time."

"Huh?" I said, "What do you mean 'too risky'?" I didn't remember hearing any such thing.

"I heard it several times," said my passenger, "They'd say "turn left" or whatever, and the pilot would say "too risky". I didn't realize things were so risky up here..."

I finally figured it out. There was another plane with call sign "xxx2W" out there somewhere. "Two whiskey". :):)

Hee hee hee! Just thought I'd share, I thought it was hilarious....

--Kath

I'm glad to hear they treated you well at Marshfield; my home base. They are all fine people but you need to meet the dogs - Tashmo and Subee. Check back at last years AOPA Pilot. Both appeared in Alton Marsh's story on airport pets. Rumor has it that one appears on a TSA [internal] webpage as 'airport security'. They were also made famous on one of the airports Tee-shirts - a doctored up approach plate.
There are a number of aircraft based there - from a pair of Citations to 3 Ercoupes. Once a year, Air Combat USA flies out of there for two weeks.
A great little airport.

I saw the approach-plate tee-shirts (but didn't realize they were doctored). Wish I'd had more time to spend there. Didn't get to meet the dogs. Met a whole variety of runway wildlife though. If you were there today, you'd have heard this endless bit of rambling on the CTAF:

"Marshfield traffic, there's a fox in the grass, headed for the runway. Approach end of 24, Marshfield"
"Marshfield traffic, the fox is on the runway."
"Marshfield traffic, the fox is off the runway. Cessna 944 taking the active for departure, 24 Marshfield"
"Marshfield traffic, there's a turkey on the runway. Aborting takeoff, I'm taxiing down the runway, will take the first exit...."
(That was all me.)

--Kath

kath said:
"Marshfield traffic, there's a turkey on the runway. Aborting takeoff, I'm taxiing down the runway, will take the first exit...."
(That was all me.)

--Kath

A turkey or a "turkey"? :)

We have a problem with deer on the runway here at UUV. I have of a picture of what a deer looks like after it runs in front of a KingAir and makes contact with the prop, killed and field dressed at one time. If I find it I will post it, but its not for those will a weak stomach.

Dean said:
We have a problem with deer on the runway here at UUV. I have of a picture of what a deer looks like after it runs in front of a KingAir and makes contact with the prop, killed and field dressed at one time. If I find it I will post it, but its not for those will a weak stomach.
Sadly, sometimes killed, dressed and cooked at the same time, too.

Last edited:
Dean said:

Is that where $100 hamburger comes from ?

While I was in the Air Force we had a deer become part of an F-16 on take off. It became several million dollars worth of hamburger. Good part no one but the deer got hurt out of that deal.

Dean said:

Ugh. I remember having to clean up the King Air after it scared up a flock of pigeons (or something) at Burbank one evening. Not only did I have to climb up the ladder to clean the top of the T-tail (I'm terrified of being up that high), the stench of cooked, filleted, and mashed bird made me want to barf. (shudder, dry heave, dry heave). If we ever hit a bird, Pete's gonna have to clean it up. BLECH.

Back