Too Cold for Flight

Flying in the Alaskan interior, most Part 121/135 operators will quite flying when it hits about (-45*F). Turbo-probs keep going until about -50*F, Most single-engine recipercating aircraft quite at about (-30).. At that point, any temperature below 32*, you start to caution about super cooling your engine.. and at those extreme temperatures, you have to go nice and easy on the throttles!! Keep an eye on the EGT's and if it's a carburated engine, then carb heat is on for the entire flight at -30*.

Flying in the Alaskan interior, most Part 121/135 operators will quite flying when it hits about (-45*F). Turbo-probs keep going until about -50*F, Most single-engine recipercating aircraft quite at about (-30).. At that point, any temperature below 32*, you start to caution about super cooling your engine.. and at those extreme temperatures, you have to go nice and easy on the throttles!! Keep an eye on the EGT's and if it's a carburated engine, then carb heat is on for the entire flight at -30*.
Why would you want carb heat when the temp is -30???

So I am not sure its probably a stupid question but why not ask. This Sunday is looking to be Sunny but around 25-28 degree I know cold is good flying conditions however, is too cold like that too cold

When I did my long XC solo, I went to Winnemucca, NV.

It was bitterly cold out that morning preflighting the plane in Reno... below zero (F) But it was very dry. The field elevation at KWMC is 4308'. The AWOS (which I called before departing Reno) was reporting density altitude to be "-1600"... yes minus 1600 feet. It warmed up by the time I got there... I think it might have been 5°F or so.

Last edited:
I know there are restrictions about flying to the South Pole in winter related to engine oil pour points and fuel gelling, but I though the big risk in stupid-cold temperatures was altimeter error and terrain clearance, especially in poor visibility.

Last edited:
I know there are restrictions about flying to the South Pole in winter related to engine oil pour points and fuel gelling, but I though the big risk in stupid-cold temperatures was altimeter error and terrain clearance, especially in poor visibility.

When it's "stupid cold", you typically have super clear air, however in the polar regions you will have little to no light unless you have moonlight.

When it's "stupid cold", you typically have super clear air, however in the polar regions you will have little to no light unless you have moonlight.

Yep, most of the folks who winter at the South Pole do it specifically for the darkness (and the cold). It's the one place on Earth you can train a telescope on a target for months.

Coldest I've personally flown at was -13 F.

We had so many clothes on that cabin comfort was impossible. We weren't too terribly cold, thanks to being dressed properly, but our breath froze on the inside of the windows, making visibility poor. And we were virtually immobile, once the door was closed.

The landing gear had zero compliance, so taxiing on the rutted ice was like someone kicking you in the ass. The tires were like iron. The controls moved like they were in putty.

But, oh, that climb. Our 150 HP Warrior felt like an elevator. And you could see a thousand miles.

It wasn't worth it.

Got to -20F at altitude, 0F at ground. The heater was working hard to keep the cabin liveable.
The heater blows out by the feet. Trying to keep the cabin cool without burning my toes was a challenge.

Got to -20F at altitude, 0F at ground. The heater was working hard to keep the cabin liveable.
The heater blows out by the feet. Trying to keep the cabin cool without burning my toes was a challenge.

Sounds like our new -8A. Hell, I didn't even know the plane HAD a heater until we flew into "Frostkosh" last month. Mary was freezing, so I turned it on...

...and promptly raises the temperature to 160 degrees on my sandaled feet -- with ZERO heat making it to the back cockpit.

She shivered through the FISK approach, while I broiled.

Luckily, we won't need much heat on the island... :D

I fly the winter Rockies every year, with ground temps sometimes in the -10F range. At altitude I see -40. One point, I wanted to make is that for turbocharged aircraft you have to be very careful of over boost. I believe the rule is 1% additional power for every 10 degrees less than standard. So you could see roughly an extra 10% in extreme cold conditions. In my bird winter takeoffs are always at less than full throttle, one for marginal oil temps, and two for over boost.

Have flown at -5 and did not like it.either did the airplane,long pre heat long time to get oil temp up.almost impossible to get cabin temp comfortable.cant think of a reason to fly when it gets down in the single numbers now that I'm retired.

Back