Tony... You OK??

Why would they close all the runways at an airport a couple of miles away?

Anyhew, glad to see the occupants emerge somewhat intact, whoever they might be. (Better not be Tony!)

Just called Tony, it wasn't him.

Looking at flight aware, seems like Cedar Rapids was closed from around 7:30 to 8:30. Glad Tony's OK.

yea im still kicking. i think i was up in the citabria at green castle trying to figure out how to land it. now i need to go read the article.

yes the landings were much better today. and they were even on the pavement! takeoffs were also much better. im used to 150 hp super cub which is much quicker on takeoff than the 115 hp citabria, so a little patience went a long way.

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/NEWS/70629002/1001/NEWS

Edgewood Rd runs from the west edge of the airport to the north. sounds like they were in the pattern. Ill be interested to see pictures. We usually avoid landing out in soybeans when the plants are bushy as the vines tend to flip you over. I wonder if thats what happened here or if they just screwed the pooch. I didnt think the beans were big enough yet, still can see the dirt between the rows.

Good looking field, from the picture. Still can't understand why it closed the airport for an hour. ??? Did they leave debris on the runway during departure?

yea looks like a nice field troy. get much further to the south and the ground gets really swampy. perhaps they were in low lying wet areas and thats why they flipped.

the airport may have closed because the wreckage was on final approach course to the runway. 9/27 is the only open runway at CR and the wind was out of the east. I suspect they didnt want planes flying over while trying to get people out of the airplane and to the hospital, also had to get a medevac in and out of there. :dunno:

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 123JA Make/Model: EXP Description: GLASAIR FT II
Date: 06/28/2007 Time: 1913

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
PILOT LANDED IN FIELD AFTER REPORTING A ROUGH RUNNING ENGINE 1 MILE NNW OF
THE AIRPORT AT CEDAR RAPIDS, IA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 1
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 1
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: