Tomahawk for sale. $9k

Lotta traumahawk for 9 AMUs.

Impossible to tell. The article is completely missing the engine time.
It certainly hasn't flown or been serviced in nearly three years.
You're within 1800 hours of a $3000 wing repair and who knows what the status of all the other life limited components that exist in the PA-38 are due.

For slightly more than that you can get a known quantity mid-engine-time 150.

You're within 1800 hours of a $3000 wing repair and who knows what the status of all the other life limited components that exist in the PA-38 are due.

At the rate most privately owned aircraft fly, that's 18 years... whoop dee doo.

Not arguing the overall case for the aircraft (there's plenty of other questions and problems to be solved to even think about acquiring it at that price), but that's a silly one to worry about.

$3K / 18 years is a whopping $166/year that needs to go into the maintenance budget. Lets say the new owner flies twice that... 200 hours a year... it's still a pittance compared to the other MX costs (including an engine) that will come up in 9 years of ownership.

Impossible to tell. The article is completely missing the engine time.
It certainly hasn't flown or been serviced in nearly three years.

For slightly more than that you can get a known quantity mid-engine-time 150.

Yep, that serious wing repair is due in 2030, (for most pilots) that would scare the hell out of me. :)

$3K / 18 years is a whopping $166/year that needs to go into the maintenance budget.

We all know it won't cost $3K when it comes time to comply with it.

We all know it won't cost $3K when it comes time to comply with it.

For a $9K airplane, it probably won't cost anything other than however much it costs to take the airframe to the aluminum scrapyard in a trailer.

You still don't know what the engine time is. Other than the wing there are a dozen other life limited components with less than 11,000 hours that you don't know when/if they are do. All we know is someone replaced the tach 2500 hours ago. An engine that's been rusting away in the pacific northwest for three years, is highly suspect.

Runout engine probably still worth 9 AMUs to somebody. Make cash parting it out if'n it can't fly.

I have got to stop clicking on threads that only make me frustrated. :rofl:

I'd love to go take a look at this plane. Seriously.

You still don't know what the engine time is. Other than the wing there are a dozen other life limited components with less than 11,000 hours that you don't know when/if they are do. All we know is someone replaced the tach 2500 hours ago. An engine that's been rusting away in the pacific northwest for three years, is highly suspect.

So you IRAN it...

I have always wanted to meet sone one with telepathic abilities to be able from great distances to tell the condition of engines they have never seen.

Hmmm. I'm still trying to get the financing for that other aircraft... and it's harder than I thought.

Ryan

Looking at that cover, the controls being locked, and the finish on the plane, I guessing it's not too much of a basket case and a steal for 9k, betting 7500 cash would take her home though!

Looking at that cover, the controls being locked, and the finish on the plane, I guessing it's not too much of a basket case and a steal for 9k, betting 7500 cash would take her home though!

I was thinking 5k cash, and hire me to deliver. :)

Last edited:
Anyone willing to partner up for this? Must live in north-east Vermont. Must be willing to oversee the pre-purchase inspection, transport, etc. You would have exclusive access to the plane for the first year. I would need exclusive access next Fall for full-time PPL training.

Only slightly joking. :yesnod:

Anyone willing to partner up for this? Must live in north-east Vermont. Must be willing to oversee the pre-purchase inspection, transport, etc. You would have exclusive access to the plane for the first year. I would need exclusive access next Fall for full-time PPL training.

Isn't that what you would hire me to do? it is in my back yard. :)

Actually, that sounds like it would work (Live right next to White River Junction).

However never owned a plane before, and my goal is to buy one with very little work needed. This does not seem like it fits in that category :)

Isn't that what you would hire me to do? it is in my back yard. :)
There would be a little something extra in the deal if you could find me a qualified partner in my back yard. :)

Actually, that sounds like it would work (Live right next to White River Junction).

However never owned a plane before, and my goal is to buy one with very little work needed. This does not seem like it fits in that category :)
Wonder what it would take to make this one into a "very little work needed" aircraft? And wonder what kinds of hanger space we could find between WRJ and St Johnsbury? The possibilities are so there.

Back to complete seriousness - in about two months I'll be home for a 30 day vacation. If you're serious about a partner, and you don't mind working with someone that will be doing a lot of training in about a year, I am seriously looking for someone to partner with.

Things that make you go "hmmmm..." :wink2:

Very true. Just shy of 3 years since it last logged any hours. Wonder how much a quick "sanity check" inspection would cost... and if that money could be rolled in to a pre-purchase/annual if November 2506 Golf turns out to be sane.

My wife would be so shocked if I gave me an airplane for our anniversary.

Very true. Just shy of 3 years since it last logged any hours. Wonder how much a quick "sanity check" inspection would cost... .

$400.00 that's 1 day and a tank of gas.

To place this aircraft back in the air, I would be required to replace the aircraft battery, ELT battery, change the oil, get it started, work off any airworthiness issues, complete the annual.
after the preliminary look see I'd have a much better idea of total costs.

To place this aircraft back in the air, I would be required to replace the aircraft battery, ELT battery, change the oil, get it started, work off any airworthiness issues, complete the annual.
after the preliminary look see I'd have a much better idea of total costs.

what do you think would be the best case/worst case costs wise, to get it air worthy?

what do you think would be the best case/worst case costs wise, to get it air worthy?

From the cost of an annual, to more than it is worth.

I could only guess after I have a look at it.

From the cost of an annual, to more than it is worth.

I could only guess after I have a look at it.

ok, so $400 to find out...

Let's say you find out it needs an Annual, and 3 K worth of work for something. What then?

I live on the other side of the US. How would I get that work done, and get it here?

New to all this, so not sure what my options are. :)

Oh, and being you know a lot about all this stuff, are you a licensed mechanic or something, or just someone who knows a lot more then me?

Yep pretty much.

Let's say you find out it needs an Annual, and 3 K worth of work for something. What then?
We know it needs an annual, that's $350, as for the 3k you decide to walk or not.

I live on the other side of the US. How would I get that work done, and get it here?

I'd do the inspections and required airworthiness discrepancies, and fly it to you when you tell me to.

Oh, and being you know a lot about all this stuff, are you a licensed mechanic or something, or just someone who knows a lot more then me?

I am an A&P-IA with a bit of experience in the field.

I can ferry the airplane for you and Tom can do the inspection. Problem solved.

I can ferry the airplane for you and Tom can do the inspection. Problem solved.
From what I've read since finding PoA, that's about the time the problems START! :rofl:

Man, I am so tempted to do this. My only reservation, is I don't know if I want that plane.

Just not what I saw myself owning. Gah. What to do. Hmm. I mean in the best case senario, when all is said and done it cost $12,000. If Rigged4Flight and I go in together, that's next to nothing.

I am worried about what I might be stepping into :p

Man, I am so tempted to do this. My only reservation, is I don't know if I want that plane.

Just not what I saw myself owning. Gah. What to do. Hmm. I mean in the best case senario, when all is said and done it cost $12,000. If Rigged4Flight and I go in together, that's next to nothing.

I am worried about what I might be stepping into :p
My personal view on deals like this: don't do it if you have any doubts.

Right now I'm looking at this as a training event. I'm going through the motions until/unless I get a red light from Tom, the owner, my gut or my wife. And I'm going to take a day to sleep/think about it. I've heard many times that you shouldn't buy an interim plane. And to be honest, this plane has interim written all over it. But it also appears to be very inexpensive and tailor made for the training I will need ...so I'm still thinking about it. Seriously. :wink2:

I know barnstormer/trade-a-plane prices are always inflated, but I did some comparing here: http://www.barnstormers.com/Piper, PA-38+Tomahawk Classifieds.html

Back