Tom, here's a place to get your Fairchild annuled!

Attachments

• Fairchild 012.jpg
    Fairchild 012.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Fairchild 013.jpg
    Fairchild 013.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Fairchild 014.jpg
    Fairchild 014.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Fairchild 015.jpg
    Fairchild 015.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 34
That's Alan Macon, here is the last time I saw his 24

I don't know if he has it repaired yet or not. that was a while ago.
What happened to that plane? Don't see any wing tip damage. Porpoise and gear collapse? I'd think with a ground loop and/or sideload on the gear, you'd strike a wing.

Nope!

He was trying to get it annulled.:goofy:

Wow...what state can you marry your airplane, then later have it annulled?

Prolly have to go to Canada for that.

We just aren't quite ready for that yet.:cryin:

What happened to that plane? Don't see any wing tip damage. Porpoise and gear collapse? I'd think with a ground loop and/or sideload on the gear, you'd strike a wing.[/QUOTE]

Don't think,,,,,,, it leads you to the wrong conclusion....... :)

This is a typical Cessna/Piper pilot not knowing their aircraft, (F-24) This aircraft has Expander tube brake assemblies, which run very close clearances between the pucks and the drum.

He left Idaho, in very cold weather, the brakes were set for that temp. and he arrived EAT, in much warmer weather, the puck assemblies had expanded enough that he landed on brakes that had set them selves much like a parking brake.

Right wheel touched first, turned right and left the runway tail high, and sheered the gear jumping a ditch.

First flight after buying the aircraft.

more pictures.

Attachments

• F-24-W-46.jpg
    F-24-W-46.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Fairchild 018.jpg
    Fairchild 018.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Fairchild 019.jpg
    Fairchild 019.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Fairchild 020.jpg
    Fairchild 020.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 15
Tom,

Ok you peaked my interest. I have a limited amout of time if Fairchilds. What could he have done to prevent the brakes from locking up?

Also had he just purchased it? It looks like one that was based in Nampa for a few years.

I picked a 24G up at Boeing feild a few years ago and flew it back to Nampa with the new owner, and then checked him out in it.

Thanks

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Tom,

Ok you peaked my interest. I have a limited amout of time if Fairchilds. What could he have done to prevent the brakes from locking up?

there is a little knurled knob on the brake assemblies, you back it off a wee bit it makes the brakes less sensitive. the expander tube system is way too much brakes for the 24

Also had he just purchased it? It looks like one that was based in Nampa for a few years.
I believe it was the one..,

I picked a 24G up at Boeing feild a few years ago and flew it back to Nampa with the new owner, and then checked him out in it.

Thanks

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I haven't talked to Allan in a couple years, I don't really know if the aircraft is flying again or not.

Don't think,,,,,,, it leads you to the wrong conclusion....... :)
Actually, I wasn't that far off - just couldn't see the left wingtip very well in the original photos. I looked up the accident report - it was a ground loop (brake induced as you said) and the left wingtip did strike.

I didn't realize the expander tubes had that little clearance - is that true for any expander tubes? My only experience with them is in the Gooney - very strong/effective brakes for big planes!

Actually, I wasn't that far off - just couldn't see the left wingtip very well in the original photos. I looked up the accident report - it was a ground loop (brake induced as you said) and the left wingtip did strike.

I didn't realize the expander tubes had that little clearance - is that true for any expander tubes? My only experience with them is in the Gooney - very strong/effective brakes for big planes!

The NTSB classified it as a ground loop but it really wasn't, he never did go around, the tip damage was when it went down on one gear first in the ditch, because he didn't hit it square. And some of the damage was from rescue crews trying to get it off the runway operating area.

The 24 will go all the way around with both brakes locked and never harm any thing. It's 9'6" between the tires on the 24, and those wings are way high. I've had 8 ground loops in my flying, 6 were in my 24, they are not user friendly.
But they are fun to fly, when you know what to do with your feet, There really wasn't any thing Alan could have done to stop the accident once he touched down.

From the pictures I figured he was doing something real dangerous like trying to land without an airspeed indicator. :goofy:

I just couldn't resist:wink2:

From the pictures I figured he was doing something real dangerous like trying to land without an airspeed indicator. :goofy:

Don't make me get up in yer grill!

Shall we see how many threads we can merge into one?

yer a funny guy.

Back