Todays Texas Transit

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Todays flight was a little more unusual.

a) 8:30am (near) Marfa 165nm to (near) El Paso fl220
b) 10:00am El Paso 604nm Houston Hobby fl 330 +1 person
c) (plan was) 12:30pm Hobby 456nm Marfa fl 320 -1 person

Soon after leaving Hobby on leg 3, we got a light on the annunciator panel "Hydraulic Pressure" Usually when you operate the flaps, gear, thrust attenuators, speed brakes... the light comes on momentarily to indicate system operation; this time it stayed illuminated. We could feel thumping in the floor boards every few minutes too. We ran the checklist for abnormal procedures including cycling some of the items and and cycling the CBs. The first time, no change. We ran it again, and pulling the RH Thrust Atten CB extinguished the light. Then we completed the last items in the list, Land As Soon As Practicable and 'WARNING, if problem is Thrust Attenuator circuit, a/c may handle unpredicably if they deploy etc' I paraphrase, but it got our attention. I read the No Flaps procedure and Gear Malfunction lists later to be prepared for that too. All the while we were trying to complete the normal things on the DP and keep up with checklists, atc comm, traffic watching -it felt busy.
By the time we finished the Ab Proc checklist we were getting close to San Antone so I suggested our "A Soon As Practical" become ksat's Cessna Jet Center. Get rerouted from Houston Center - Marks 7 Arrival? whazzat? Oh, OK there it is "Marcs". We're past IND already, how to program this in? FMS wouldn't take the route so we tried and failed to enter each WP manually. Finally figured it out, while doing the descent chlist, taking new orders to lower altitudes - my kneeboard was a mess with progressively bigger & messier writing as we tried to stay on top of the changes! Search for the new IAP book, checkout the arrival depiction (to verify the wps) and find the atis, brief the approach. Thankfully it was vfr. Also thankfully the hydraulic problem was static. We got in OK, and soon the mech staff had us on our way again, after doing something with a switch in the system. Recompute, fuel, refile and rebrief and back on track we were! Another non-emergency in the citation... its pretty cool how they have worked out a backup plan for so many things in the system. Anyway, I am BEAT from all the travel and happenings, see ya.
Here are a few pictures from various places on the way in and out of the plane, on the ground, in shops we were near. :blueplane:

Great post, and great job, Dave. It's nice when the training we have kicks in and we can handle a non-normal "by the book" and have it all work out... I had to do that with a CO problem in the cockpit of a Mooney M20E about a year or so ago, IFR. It was a real confidence builder to me, that following the training made things work out.

Here's a screen shot of you enroute to Houston today in N204J (and the Angel Flights that were up in the area--you're all in my "filter").

Dave, were you at 5T6 today? If so one of these times you need to yell at me and I will run down and say hi.
Don

Good going Troy! !you not only caught me, but a BL-17 a Bellanca Viking (abi->sat)! hey I wonder if something is wrong with the time (is that the time? Maybe its the ETA)

Yes Don, I thought of you when I took this picture:

Let'sgoflying! said:
Good going Troy! !you not only caught me, but a BL-17 a Bellanca Viking (abi->sat)! hey I wonder if something is wrong with the time (is that the time? Maybe its the ETA)

Yes Don, I thought of you when I took this picture:

Hey that looks familiar, sure was hazy though. You are gonna make everyone think it looks like that all the time. We both know that is not the case. I would love a chance to check out the Citation up close.
Don

Send a ph number Don:
wtxvets@overland.net

The flights are last-minute notice and very sporadic (maybe not for a month now) and I am never on the ground for more than a half hour, but let's try.

Back