Today's run-up

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
I'm standing in the run-up area area today getting ready to test my ECUs (bring up the power to 40%, 2 ECUs per engine so this test has to be done 4 times) and then do an available power check as I see a 172 taxi in. I was the only one in the run-up area (there was one more 172 but he was holding short so he does not count) and the run-up area can fit 10+ planes. Of all the places he decided to park right behind me. So I'm looking back and thinking "is this guy an idiot?", he had to try to fit in there because there was not much room left and there is no way he accidentally ended up being there.
I figured he was the one who parked there so I should just continue doing what I'm doing. Do my ECU tests, look back at him he still did not realize that he should not be there. After that I figured fine I'll move, get right next to him and finish all the stuff then leave.

So I'm thinking, should I have moved before doing any tests or should I have just finished everything there and ignored him completely?

I'm standing in the run-up area area today getting ready to test my ECUs (bring up the power to 40%, 2 ECUs per engine so this test has to be done 4 times) and then do an available power check as I see a 172 taxi in. I was the only one in the run-up area (there was one more 172 but he was holding short so he does not count) and the run-up area can fit 10+ planes. Of all the places he decided to park right behind me. So I'm looking back and thinking "is this guy an idiot?", he had to try to fit in there because there was not much room left and there is no way he accidentally ended up being there.
I figured he was the one who parked there so I should just continue doing what I'm doing. Do my ECU tests, look back at him he still did not realize that he should not be there. After that I figured fine I'll move, get right next to him and finish all the stuff then leave.

So I'm thinking, should I have moved before doing any tests or should I have just finished everything there and ignored him completely?

Maybe he wanted a new aircraft and wanted your insurance company to buy it, You are responsible for any damage caused by your prop blast. same like a boat wake.

I don't know who was flying it but I know for a fact that it was a rental airplane.

So I'm sitting on a park bench after just eating 4 chili burritos and I'm juuust starting to raise my cheek to blow a big fat grumpy when this old doddering fool ambles up and sits down on the park bench right next to me.

Should I blow him off - or just move? Whaddayou guys think? :rolleyes:

So I'm sitting on a park bench after just eating 4 chili burritos and I'm juuust starting to raise my cheek to blow a big fat grumpy when this old doddering fool ambles up and sits down on the park bench right next to me.

leterrip..

Well I don't want to damage his aircraft, but he's the one who should be making safety decisions for himself.

I try to stay away from behind a jet plane. The Jet fuel vapors makes my wife sick. Some jet pilots have no consideration and rev up engines at the hold line with planes behind them.

José

Maybe he wanted a new aircraft and wanted your insurance company to buy it, You are responsible for any damage caused by your prop blast. same like a boat wake.
You can be held responsible for damage caused by your boat wake but not if the damaged party deliberately put himself in harms way. I'd think the same would apply for prop blasts. Pull up in front of an airplane sitting on the ramp and proceed to blow it over and you or your insurer will likely be on the hook. But if that same airplane decides to park right behind you while you are doing maintenance runups and it would be hard to prosecute a damage claim.

You can be held responsible for damage caused by your boat wake but not if the damaged party deliberately put himself in harms way. I'd think the same would apply for prop blasts. Pull up in front of an airplane sitting on the ramp and proceed to blow it over and you or your insurer will likely be on the hook. But if that same airplane decides to park right behind you while you are doing maintenance runups and it would be hard to prosecute a damage claim.

There is no evidence of him putting himself there, at least none that I know of. I had two people in my plane (including me) and he had two in his, just my word against his.

If a kid is jumping your wake and gets hurt that's on him.. you go roaring thru the marina you get to pay.. I guess we are saying the same thing.

You are setting doing run ups in plane view, and he crosses behind its on him.. you blow my hangar out your going to pay the damages to the contents.

you are always responsible for your actions, no matter what industry.

Yep - I wouldn't move in that case unless his position caused a safety issue to ME. The other pilot is responsible for the safety of his aircraft. He put himself there, he's responsible.

I try to stay away from behind a jet plane. The Jet fuel vapors makes my wife sick. Some jet pilots have no consideration and rev up engines at the hold line with planes behind them.

José

It takes considerable thrust to get jets moving. I try not to, but sometimes ya gotta advance the power. Never as a small plane get in the thrust plane of a jet.

I fly a columbia and own a 150, so i know what its like to be on both sides of the fence.

It takes considerable thrust to get jets moving. I try not to, but sometimes ya gotta advance the power. Never as a small plane get in the thrust plane of a jet.

I fly a columbia and own a 150, so i know what its like to be on both sides of the fence.

Some jet pilots park at an angle at the hold line to avoid blasting planes behind while waiting for clearance.

José

If a kid is jumping your wake and gets hurt that's on him.. you go roaring thru the marina you get to pay.. I guess we are saying the same thing.
I guess so also.

You are setting doing run ups in plane view, and he crosses behind its on him.. you blow my hangar out your going to pay the damages to the contents.
+1
you are always responsible for your actions, no matter what industry.
ditto again. Unless, of course, you are killed in an airplane accident that was entirely your fault and the manufacturer has deep pockets.:mad2:

Giving clearance behind jets is basic ground school stuff. I'm not a jet pilot, so I don't know how feasible it would have been to just shut down, get out and walk back to that "pilot" and give him a class on how to drive an airplane.

Perhaps insisting that he also shut down, get out, turn his plane around, and move it to a safer location. Get his tail number and send the owner a bill for the time and fuel that class you gave cost you.

John

Just wanted to clarify that in the OP I was on the DA42.

Giving clearance behind jets is basic ground school stuff. I'm not a jet pilot, so I don't know how feasible it would have been to just shut down, get out and walk back to that "pilot" and give him a class on how to drive an airplane.

Perhaps insisting that he also shut down, get out, turn his plane around, and move it to a safer location. Get his tail number and send the owner a bill for the time and fuel that class you gave cost you.

John

:lol:

Last edited:
Some jet pilots park at an angle at the hold line to avoid blasting planes behind while waiting for clearance.

José
Or at an angle to see any traffic coming down final.

The jet probably needs to straighten out to turn on the runway- still best to leave them plenty of room or this might happen:

Just wanted to clarify that in the OP I was on the DA42.:lol:

Seems to me, if I recall correctly, they might have mentioned prop blast as well. I am pretty sure it is up to the PIC to keep a safe distance behind all aircraft that are under power. :nono:

John

Seems to me, if I recall correctly, they might have mentioned prop blast as well. I am pretty sure it is up to the PIC to keep a safe distance behind all aircraft that are under power. :nono:

John

I think your right.

I wasn't correcting you or anything, just wanted to clarify for everyone. If I was on a jet at that time I would really hope the 172 pilot wouldn't have put himself there, but then again I never expected him to do what he did either.

I think your right.

I wasn't correcting you or anything, just wanted to clarify for everyone. If I was on a jet at that time I would really hope the 172 pilot wouldn't have put himself there, but then again I never expected him to do what he did either.

It's OK to correct me, compared to most on this board, I don't know squat. If you have an opportunity to teach me, please do. If I learn just one new thing, it will be well worth any ruffled feathers I might get.

Actually, that's the real reason I signed up with this club, so I can drain your brains. :D

John

Back