Today's fun...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Originally my buddy Doug Hindman had invited me along in his rental 172 for a breakfast flight from KAPA to KGXY, but instead he took his high-school buddy Scott, and Karen and I launched at the same time in our 182 to meet up.

We talked about doing it as a true flight of two with Doug in the lead but he said he didn't feel ready to talk on the radio for both of us (even after I pointed out that it shuts me up real well, since "Two's up" is all I'd ever say on the air-to-air unless there was a need to say "Lead's on fire." Ha!) so we planned to launch separately.

60F+ and CAVU and calm in DEN today. Absolutely gorgeous.

I beat Doug through pre-heat and pre-flight and he said they watched us depart runway 10 at KAPA at the same time as they were turning the key on the Jeppesen Flying Club's Skyhawk...

Some photos:

Karen loves her pink ANR headphones. She approved of the completely still air and smooth flight too, other than exactly one bump which Doug later said he also hit, apparently a down-valley wind coming out of the Poudre Canyon out into the plains. Lasted about two seconds, just long enough for me to tighten my lap belt just in case it got worse. It didn't.

4b94241c-fd41-335d.jpg

The world is brown. Must be winter on the high-plains.

4b94241c-fd89-b214.jpg

The gratuitous airport sign shot.

4b94241c-fdc9-ffe7.jpg

Waiting on Doug doing full-rental-power somewhere behind us in his Skyhawk at the Barnstormer Grill. We beat him by only about 20 minutes.

4b94241c-fe24-6e4e.jpg

Doug and Scott cranked up to leave KGXY after the appropriate hand signals and salute. Ha.

4b94241c-fe5d-e748.jpg

And then the best of the day. My buddy Paul Gordon of Bluedharma Photography was out at KAPA fighting off a cold by shooting aircraft in the sunshine, and he caught 79M me and Karen turning base-to-final (sorry no overhead breaks, RV guys but there were two gorgeous RV-10s at KGXY)!

4b94241c-fed7-3e5d.jpg

4b94241c-fee2-3405.jpg

4b94241c-feeb-714f.jpg

Then I decided, no more Scrooge McDuck. After ten years in this house I finally put up Christmas lights! I hate getting up on the ladder two stories up to do it, but decided not to wimp out this year. Plus with temp still above 50F, why not?!

4b94241c-ff1c-e6c2.jpg

It doesn't often get any better than today. Broncos won two plays after I walked in and washed up from hanging the lights and the Mrs. suggested TGI Fridays for dinner where the Asian appetizer platter makes for an excellent little meal with a Blue Moon to cap the perfect day...

Now watching this interesting Chiefs/Steelers game and I think I'm going to bed with the iPad to read some more PoA.

Happy flying all!

Greasy belly, shame on you. :D

Saturday and today is was 80F by 1000. Severe clear, zero surface winds. Perfect painting wx.

And you didn't let me know? I would've met you at GXY if someone gave me an hour's head start.

Greasy belly, shame on you. :D

Saturday and today is was 80F by 1000. Severe clear, zero surface winds. Perfect painting wx.

Nice WX.

Oil change yesterday and little drips still working their way down... and aft. If the WX stays nice she does need a belly bath.

No wash rack at our home 'drome so we have to pack her full of towels and all the accoutrements of dirt destruction and go up to KBJC or out to KFTG and find nice locals who'll let us use their garden hoses...

And you didn't let me know? I would've met you at GXY if someone gave me an hour's head start.

See! It looks like I ticked off one of the KFTG locals by not telling her we were going today, though. Oops! ;)

You've been sans-airplane for so long I keep forgetting you're back in the air full-time. Crud. :)

Hey it was originally Doug's idea to go. I'm going to officially blame him now. Haha. He's not even here to defend himself but you can beat him up the next time you see him. :)

Original launch plan was 0800 or so. Then we both realized as he pulled up to my hangar to say hi with Scott, that this was going to be the first pre-heat day of the year. Argh. Start adding an hour of fussing with pre-hear to the checklists...

See, I know your bird is plugged in so you're officially dubbed "table getter" if we do this again! Haha.

P.S. If you look at the port side cowl flap you can see where we, Um... Extra lubricated it when the hose popped off the quick drain. Heh. It's uhh... gonna take a couple more flights for the oil caught in the nooks and crannies to work their way out there. Sigh.

I also managed to miss catching the #~{*=*! oil filter in the grocery bag. First time I've completely missed.

It'd be a lot easier if we took the bottom cowl off but that's a huge pain in the butt.

I want to get one of those form-a-funnel things to stuff in there under the oil filter, I just can't find a dealer for the big "aviation sized" one that's a couple of feet long.

We're also having a heck of a time with our filter cutter. Anyone know where to pick up the style that attaches to the center not all the way around the outside of the can? Seen lots of photos of 'em, but haven't figured out where to get one.

No wash rack at our home 'drome so we have to pack her full of towels and all the accoutrements of dirt destruction and go up to KBJC or out to KFTG and find nice locals who'll let us use their garden hoses...

Bring yer own hose if'n ya ain't gonna let folks know yer plannin' a breakfast flight...

(Okay, the Frankenkota is in for annual but I coulda rode in back and offered gratuitous and pointless criticism, er, I mean paid my share of the gas...)

On a more practical note, a weed sprayer and soapy water works pretty good for cleaning after the oil change.

I use the Wash Wax All Red or Belly Degreaser to clean the belly. Water hasn't touched my plane in years, unless I get caught in the rain somewhere.

I used to meet up with people at KGXY for lunch. Nice little place, although Greeley, in general SMELLS really badly. :D

Nice pics. Brings back a lot of memories.

I use the Wash Wax All Red or Belly Degreaser to clean the belly. Water hasn't touched my plane in years, unless I get caught in the rain somewhere.

I used to meet up with people at KGXY for lunch. Nice little place, although Greeley, in general SMELLS really badly. :D

Nice pics. Brings back a lot of memories.

Indeed it do, too many cows too close to the airport. I think the hood emblem on the loner truck says it all:lol:

only when you're downwind of Monfort/ConAgra/Monsanto/Swift/Capitol/nom de jour...

My uncle was a cattle rancher. His response to "that stinks" was always "smells like money"

only when you're downwind of Monfort/ConAgra/Monsanto/Swift/Capitol/nom de jour...

Hey, they have to be somewhere, right? However, you're always downwind of one or more of them.

My uncle was a cattle rancher. His response to "that stinks" was always "smells like money"

Yep. :)

Nice WX.

Oil change yesterday and little drips still working their way down... and aft. If the WX stays nice she does need a belly bath.

You're always welcome to use the Birdbath at FTG - just let me know ahead of time and we'll do mine, too.

but but but...the stockyards are a reporting point!

KAPA was busy yesterday morning when we left but there was no one around at about 4:30 pm when we landed and the evening was beautiful.

P.S. If you look at the port side cowl flap you can see where we, Um... Extra lubricated it when the hose popped off the quick drain. Heh. It's uhh... gonna take a couple more flights for the oil caught in the nooks and crannies to work their way out there. Sigh.

I also managed to miss catching the #~{*=*! oil filter in the grocery bag. First time I've completely missed.

It'd be a lot easier if we took the bottom cowl off but that's a huge pain in the butt.

I want to get one of those form-a-funnel things to stuff in there under the oil filter, I just can't find a dealer for the big "aviation sized" one that's a couple of feet long.
Cut an empty oil quart to fit under the filter & engine mount point but leave the neck in place. Attach 3 ft of hose (big box hardware store) to the neck then use a hose clamp to make it leak proof.

Amazing what you can learn hanging out with the EAA chapter on saturday mornings...

Nope... we have one of those in the form of a much cheaper "race car" filter cutter (put "aviation on it, and a $25 racing oil filter cutter jumps to $150... ha!) and it doesn't work at all on the Champion CH48110-1.

The filter has a very long threaded tube sticking out of it that requires a big hole dead-center in the filter cutter.

See photo:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/stylespilotshop_2182_530257510

Bring yer own hose if'n ya ain't gonna let folks know yer plannin' a breakfast flight...

(Okay, the Frankenkota is in for annual but I coulda rode in back and offered gratuitous and pointless criticism, er, I mean paid my share of the gas...)

On a more practical note, a weed sprayer and soapy water works pretty good for cleaning after the oil change.

I've just been getting under there with a bucket and a scrubby pad and a million towels and just getting messy. OD green military mechanic's jumpsuit helps, but the stuff running up your arm makes the sleeve wet after a while. At least it doesn't run all the way 'round to the back of your back and/or neck. :lol:

Indeed it do, too many cows too close to the airport. I think the hood emblem on the loner truck says it all:lol:

The black airport truck was parked out front with a notice on it that it was up for closed bid. 1995, black... looked like it'd been rode hard and put away wet... someone will certainly over-bid on it. :)

Monfort needs cash to buy baseball players... the Rockies are all-hat, no-cattle most of the time. :)

You're always welcome to use the Birdbath at FTG - just let me know ahead of time and we'll do mine, too.

Hmmm... double the labor for access to a hose. Sadly, that might be the best offer out there, with no good access to a bird bath at KAPA. Why they don't put one in somewhere during all the construction over the years, I don't know...

Cut an empty oil quart to fit under the filter & engine mount point but leave the neck in place. Attach 3 ft of hose (big box hardware store) to the neck then use a hose clamp to make it leak proof.

That wouldn't help me not drop the stupid thing, but it would at least keep the oil that comes out when you take it off from going everywhere... I'm sure I'd figure out a way to screw that up too, though... drop the filter, knock the homemade funnel and tube straight down, watch the end of the hose flip up out of the bucket and splatter something nearby with oil... heh heh...

It's just messy...

even when under the hood! "bump bump - ewwwwww! Over the stockyards"

Yup. You can smell the missed approach point at KGXY on a hot day. :)

It's right in front my new hangar :)
Not far to go to wash her and put her back.

I have a heavy duty hose and a pressure washer, too.

It's right in front my new hangar :)
Not far to go to wash her and put her back.

I have a heavy duty hose and a pressure washer, too.

You're all too kind... maybe if this great weather keeps up, but I'm guessing it's going to eventually get cold sometime soon. :)

I often see people washing their airplanes in back of the octagonal DJC hangar which is just west of us. I don't know how you would go about getting permission to do this, though.

Either Marty misspoke on his weather guessin' prognosti-guess-timification last night or I mis-heard it (since I usually sleep thru the weather and sports, it's probably me) but that cold front's not here yet. Stepped out for lunch and had to shed my coat in the first 10 steps out the door.

Either Marty misspoke on his weather guessin' prognosti-guess-timification last night or I mis-heard it (since I usually sleep thru the weather and sports, it's probably me) but that cold front's not here yet. Stepped out for lunch and had to shed my coat in the first 10 steps out the door.

Yup. In the sunshine, sweatshirt & jeans. Just took the dog to the park and needed the jacket because the sun's going down. I'm hoping the weather will hold off on Wednesday - planning on La Junta to take a look at the new dinosaur tracks that were discovered a few weeks ago. And lunch at the golf course, of course.

Back