Today's flying, kinda yucky :(

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Today's flight didn't go nearly as well as our others have :( I was a little worried about the weather, but the forecasts were acceptable, and what I could see looked good. Winds were a little challenging, but nothing wild. It was kind of shifty, and kept going from calm to around 14 knots or so. Not really gusty. It would blow for a little bit, the stop for a little bit. Unpredictable enough to make me work a bit on landing. My biggest worry was the reported chance of rain and thunderstorms after 5. We decided instead of playing on the beach, we'd just fly down, do a touch and go, and come back and enjoy the sight seeing.

I haven't flown for a bit more than a month, but wasn't feeling to rusty, until my last landing. Preflighted, and took off. I was a little worried about bumps because Sean hates them, it was an afternoon flight with a whole bunch of nice fluffy cummulous clouds and plenty of opportunity for thermals. There were a few little bumps, but nothing major at all. Philly approach cleared us direct through the Class B to Ocean City. Scenery was beautiful, flying was awesome, then things were great as we reached 3,000. Then I made the horrible mistake of asking Sean how he was doing. He said "I'm a little scared." I said that's ok, you alright? He said he wanted to go back and land. Sigh. I let Philly know we were going back to Wings, apologized for bugging him, and pulled the power. I could have just pressed on, but I wanted Sean to be secure in the knowledge that he had that control.

Approach and landing at Wings was pretty good. I had to work for it a little bit, which I enjoyed. First time in a few flights that I've really had to. It felt good to pull it off, so we talked about it with Sean, and decided we were going to do another landing. Thermals were kicking a bit, and wind was blowing around, but not much worse than the first time around. My approach that time, though, had me feeling the need for more practice. I couldn't get my speed right, couldn't get my glidepath settled down, but none of it bad enough to go around. I though I was set up for a good landing, and ended up making a horrible, horrible one. Hands down the worst one since I've gotten my license, and actually the worst for quite a while before that. Rats :( My landings have been a point of pride with me. Maybe the plane sensed that, and decided a serving of humble pie was in order. Worse, I don't really know how it ended up that bad. I didn't get a good flare in, the plane quit flying before I expected it too. I'm trying to convince Cathy the wind died on me, but I don't think she's really buying it.

To top everything off, we shut down, and before we can even push back into the parking spot, Sean throws this MASSIVE fit. Now he's p***ed because we came back and landed. We ended up talking about it for a long time, getting him calmed down. The joys of parenthood, I suppose. Cathy said he didn't look scared when we were flying. He was just looking around like usual. Frankly, I don't think I'm going to ask him if he's alright next time. We can tell when he's not. I think we'll just press on, and divert his attention if we think we need to. Meanwhile, I've had to reassure Sean that he is still my co-pilot, and that he will go flying with me next time when I go up to get some landing practice.

A tip of the hat to Ron Levy.. Sean was making sure I checked some of the things you were pointing out during your talk last weekend at Wings. You can teach them at all ages, it seems. :)

To top everything off, we shut down, and before we can even push back into the parking spot, Sean throws this MASSIVE fit. Now he's p***ed because we came back and landed. We ended up talking about it for a long time, getting him calmed down. The joys of parenthood, I suppose. Cathy said he didn't look scared when we were flying. He was just looking around like usual. Frankly, I don't think I'm going to ask him if he's alright next time. We can tell when he's not. I think we'll just press on, and divert his attention if we think we need to. Meanwhile, I've had to reassure Sean that he is still my co-pilot, and that he will go flying with me next time when I go up to get some landing practice.

Reply>
Joe,
Sounds like the first time my step-son(age 9)flew with me. He had been to see his dad and I picked him up about 70nm from home. I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and do a check out flight in the FBO's 172 at the same time. I had my CFII with me and on the way back he had me do stalls, slow flight and S- turns and so on. After the first stall I hear this little voice in the headset say "that's about enough of that ****" My instructor could not stop laughing. Then at the home airport the landing was a little hard, and again the voice speaks up " Think you could hit any harder?" He now has several flights with me and loves it. It is one of the most enjoyable things to do with a child, as long as they don't get sick.
Its like horse riding, get him back in the air as soon as possible.

QUOTE]

Whoa there big guy. I SAW your landing. I was at KLOM for the 75th B-day event( At least I think it was you.) 65PD? You can tell Cathy the wind Suc%ed today. The wind at times was var from 040-230. It was insane. The sock made me dizzy. A friend was on short and I mean short final for 24 and I was at the lower fence and saw the sock do a total 180. He landed long and hard. The wind would kick up to 15kts and then BAM! where'd it go. It would die just like that. or reverse direction. It was like that all day. Give your self a break and tell Cathy I'm backing you up on this one.

AdamZ said:
Whoa there big guy. I SAW your landing. I was at KLOM for the 75th B-day event( At least I think it was you.) 65PD? You can tell Cathy the wind Suc%ed today. The wind at times was var from 040-230. It was insane. The sock made me dizzy. A friend was on short and I mean short final for 24 and I was at the lower fence and saw the sock do a total 180. He landed long and hard. The wind would kick up to 15kts and then BAM! where'd it go. It would die just like that. or reverse direction. It was like that all day. Give your self a break and tell Cathy I'm backing you up on this one.

OH NO!!!! A witness.... the last thing I need LOL

Well, I won't argue with you. Wind was making me work a bit. I'd sure love to have an excuse, cause the landing was terrible! It just kinda fell out of the sky that last little bit. I was going to post the video, but it's too big. Of course, I was also going to post a video of good landing from the last time we went flying, just to prove I didn't always do that LOL

If you saw someone stress testing the landing gear on 655PD somewhere between 2 and 2:30, that sure was me :(

Joe,

You did the right thing with Sean. Better he thows a fit on the ground than in the air. And you don't want him getting scared to the point that he doesn't want to fly with you anymore.

I know you said you were having trouble maintaining airspeed, but did you add something to your target approach speed to compensate for the gusts? It sounds like the wind did drop out on you.

Joe Williams said:
To top everything off, we shut down, and before we can even push back into the parking spot, Sean throws this MASSIVE fit. Now he's p***ed because we came back and landed. We ended up talking about it for a long time, getting him calmed down. The joys of parenthood, I suppose.

Ah yes, the joys of parenthood, it only gets harder and more complicated! Then suddenly its over and you wonder where did the time go? Wait until those $1 Matchbook cars turn into real ones!

Would have though today would have been a great day to fly, but guess not. Wouldn't sweat the landings, sometimes it goes in streaks, hopefully more good ones than bad ones, but it is unerving when you are in a bad streak. Wasn't so bad, no bent metal, maybe a bruised ego?

Gary

Nav8tor said:
Joe,

You did the right thing with Sean. Better he thows a fit on the ground than in the air. And you don't want him getting scared to the point that he doesn't want to fly with you anymore.

I know you said you were having trouble maintaining airspeed, but did you add something to your target approach speed to compensate for the gusts? It sounds like the wind did drop out on you.

I thought I had, but guess not. I think it kind of dropped out as I flared, cause the plane just quit flying RIGHT NOW!! Ah well, I'll think about it a bit more, and me and the boy will take a 150 out one morning this week and work on landings, and getting him settled down a bit more. He loves flying, but gets a little scared sometimes. Says he wants to go with me, so we will.

Joe Williams said:
I thought I had, but guess not. I think it kind of dropped out as I flared, cause the plane just quit flying RIGHT NOW!! Ah well, I'll think about it a bit more, and me and the boy will take a 150 out one morning this week and work on landings, and getting him settled down a bit more. He loves flying, but gets a little scared sometimes. Says he wants to go with me, so we will.

I wonder what specific things are causing his fear. It may be difficult to determine as he might not really know himself.

WRT the landing problem, eventually you learn to recognize the feeling and look of excessive sink and react with a short burst of power which will arrest the sink. When the wind is that changeable, there is little other choice except to touch down with excess speed.

lancefisher said:
I wonder what specific things are causing his fear. It may be difficult to determine as he might not really know himself.

WRT the landing problem, eventually you learn to recognize the feeling and look of excessive sink and react with a short burst of power which will arrest the sink. When the wind is that changeable, there is little other choice except to touch down with excess speed.

I would love to figure out what he's afraid of. I don't think it's bumps, like he says. Today was actually pretty smooth. I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't afraid of heights like I am. He perked up when we were talking about it and I told him that I also got a little scared when we first took off and we started getting higher. He acted like he could relate to that. He's also got an awfully active imagination, and sometimes will play games with lots of things going wrong with his planes. Other kids crash cars, he crashes planes. I do wonder if he's still upset over the death of a friend on 2003. That was a couple years ago, which is quite a while for a five year old. He did panic when I started flying after that. In any case, this evening he wanted to go flying again.

As for the landing, I still not sure what went wrong. I keep watching the video, and it's looking OK until just before the flare. The approach wasn't my best. I did keep having to bump the power a bit, though I wasn't slow. I never did feel like it was a particularly stable approach. It's looking like I just didn't flare right, or on time. 7.13 megs, if anyone wants it in their email to anaylyze and laugh at.

Last edited:
We are all students when it comes to landings. I was out mid week in another 172SP at LNS myself, practicing flaring, which seems right now to be some sort of lost art to me. Some landings were good and some were bad. The wind was not as strong as for you yesterday, but was doing the same thing, squirrelling around all over the place. One landing, we would quit flying at 50 knots. The next one, I would have the flare set up just right and get a boost of headwind and balloon down the runway another 700 feet.

Don't get discouraged on that front. I figure some day, if I get old enough, I will really feel comfortable with my landings. :dunno:

Some days my 5 year old is just delighted to be up in the plane. Some days she is nervous and uncomfortable. One of the big things for Janet seems to be ear pressure. Last weekend, when we flew into LOM, she was complaining about pressure. She had new, more bulky headsets than before. I told her to lift them off, swallow and put them back on. After that, she was cool, and delighted to report the airport in sight as we came into downwind.

I figure that you and I are lucky, in that our kids are young enough to learn about flying while they still have that great sense of curiosity. It won't be long before "are we there yet?" will be ringing in our heads. And we will be thinking, "gee, if I got that multi, we could shave and hour off of this" :)

Jim G

Joe Williams said:
I would love to figure out what he's afraid of. I don't think it's bumps, like he says. Today was actually pretty smooth. I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't afraid of heights like I am. He perked up when we were talking about it and I told him that I also got a little scared when we first took off and we started getting higher. He acted like he could relate to that. He's also got an awfully active imagination, and sometimes will play games with lots of things going wrong with his planes. Other kids crash cars, he crashes planes. I do wonder if he's still upset over the death of a friend on 2003. That was a couple years ago, which is quite a while for a five year old. He did panic when I started flying after that. In any case, this evening he wanted to go flying again.

As for the landing, I still not sure what went wrong. I keep watching the video, and it's looking OK until just before the flare. The approach wasn't my best. I did keep having to bump the power a bit, though I wasn't slow. I never did feel like it was a particularly stable approach. It's looking like I just didn't flare right, or on time. 7.13 megs, if anyone wants it in their email to anaylyze and laugh at.

I'd like to see the video at email...

Like AdamZ said, if it was shearing to a full tailwind... good luck.

Most guys try to rush the LDGs. Adding power quickly & flying onto the runway under variable crosswind control usually works.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I'd like to see the video at email...

Like AdamZ said, if it was shearing to a full tailwind... good luck.

Most guys try to rush the LDGs. Adding power quickly & flying onto the runway under variable crosswind control usually works.

Dave, if you'll private message me with your email address, I'll get it out to you. The PofA system doesn't seem to let me include attachments.

Back