Today's flight

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Pilot: Mooney xxx88X, 4 miles east of Banning airport...flight following...would like to go to Boulder...........uh, that would be in Nevada.

ATC: Mooney xxx88X, what is the identifier for Boulder, is it BLD?

no response.......

ATC: xxx88X, say altitude and type.

no response....

ATC: Mooney 88X, beacon code is xxxx, what is aprt identifier for Boulder?

Pilot: Honestly, I have no idea....but it won't be a long flight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot: SoCal DEP, King Air xx 38A off KCNO, would like to pick up our IFR clearance....

ATC: King Air xx 38A, turn right 330 for traffic.

no response....

Citation xxx48A: ...was that for us?

ATC: King Air xx38A, how do you hear?

no response....

ATC: Cherokee 42W, turn right 330 for traffic.

Pilot: 42W, 330.

ATC: King Air 38A, how do you hear?

ATC: King Air 38A, you are entering KONT sfc area, remain clear KONT sfc area.

ATC: Cherokee 42W, King Air, 11 o'clock moving to 2 o'clock, 2 miles.

Pilot: 42W, in sight.

ATC: Cherokee 42W, thank you, at least someone is listening.

ATC: King Air xx38A, radar services terminated, squawk 1200.

Pilot: SoCal, King Air xx38A, was that for us?

ATC: alright everybody, listen up so I don't have to repeat myself 3 or four times....

From a point of pride I can say I knew exactly who I was, where I was, and where I was going. I didn't miss one call.

So why are these guys flying the fast movers while I'm in my put put Cherokee? Evidently, hours don't mean squat.

IOW, what the hell is going on??? I hear this **** most every flight. And mostly it is from the crews of multi-million dollar aircraft.

Last edited:
IOW, what the hell is going on??? I hear this **** most every flight. And mostly it is from the crews of multi-million dollar aircraft.
They are too busy drinking cocktails and watching the in flight movie to be bothered with ATC.
Or maybe they think that the auto-pilot is supposed to answer radio calls too.

Maybe it was just yesterday in SoCal. I heard something like this on 125.5 although I missed the type and call sign:

ATC: 42C Listen up please, I told you to turn 240 on reaching 6000. This is for traffic, it's important to you. You're flying too big a plane to be making these kinds of mistakes.

42C: Hey, I am heading 240.

ATC: Yes and you still haven't reached 6000, have you?

Pilot: SoCal, King Air xx38A, was that for us?

ATC: alright everybody, listen up so I don't have to repeat myself 3 or four times....

From a point of pride I can say I knew exactly who I was, where I was, and where I was going. I didn't miss one call.

So why are these guys flying the fast movers while I'm in my put put Cherokee? Evidently, hours don't mean squat.

Total flight hours often simply don't mean that much.
The PIC is either properly on top of things at a given moment, or is not.

I believe we pilots need to remember that when ATC gets testy or make minor mistakes that they have to put up with our mistakes much more often than we put up with theirs.

One time I was flying to North Las Vegas and I had to remind LV Approach that I needed to talk to tower. Tower said "did approach just tell you to contact us" and I replied "Affirmative, but maybe you should give them a break because I heard 3 people 180° off course"

We have to do better.

Joe

Today I heard a PC-12 say they must've overshot KBFL as they headed 090. APP turned them around to 270 but still the Pilatus couldn't find the aprt. What was worrisome to me was they decided to circle at my altitude. I was 7 south transiting the area. APP was too busy to provide the proper handholding of this turkey.

I imagine the guy in the Pilatus is sitting in front of the greatest panel ever made but he still can't find the aprt.

I imagine the guy in the Pilatus is sitting in front of the greatest panel ever made but he still can't find the aprt.
No. As I recall, it's a decent panel, but we're not talking G1000 here.

No. As I recall, it's a decent panel, but we're not talking G1000 here.
Good one, Grant. Just go ahead and obfusacate my point. I mean, please, be my guest. :D

They found the moon with the equalivalent of an Apple II but this guy can't find...oh, never mind. :dunno:

I wonder if this ----> :fcross: <---- is on the descent to landing checklist.

Today I heard a PC-12 say they must've overshot KBFL as they headed 090. APP turned them around to 270 but still the Pilatus couldn't find the aprt. What was worrisome to me was they decided to circle at my altitude. I was 7 south transiting the area. APP was too busy to provide the proper handholding of this turkey.

Hey, to be truthful sometimes I can't find the stoopid airport even with my 296, but at least I can talk on the radio in the class B or C without sounding like a n00b :p

Back