Today, first pattern practice solo...

Addicted2climbing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Addicted2climbing
Hello All,

Today after work I get to play in the pattern at KVNY on my own for the first time. That is if weather holds and conditions are under my restrictions. I have been ready to go for the last week, but we had rain last few days... Needless to say I cant wait for it to turn 5:00pm so I can get out of here to fly..

Marc

So while on the way to the field the weatehr changed enough that I had to call off the day of flying. Hopefully next time...

Marc

Good piloting not going up in bad weather.

I extend future congratulations toward your solo flight! It'll change you!

Argh, I tried again yesterday and all day the weather was below my solo restrictions and then on the way to the airport the winds go cross 90 degrees @ 15kts.. My instructor needs me to get a few days practice in the pattern on my own beofre we get into the XC portion and its driving me nuts to watch the weather all day and then have it shift on my drive there. :mad2:

I hope to try again today...

This is what makes me thankful for good weather / no clouds / no winds / no turbulence flights like the one I had on Sunday. I never forget all the days I showed up at the airport and canceled last minute due to weather. It sucks, I know, but that is VFR flying.

Argh, I tried again yesterday and all day the weather was below my solo restrictions and then on the way to the airport the winds go cross 90 degrees @ 15kts.. My instructor needs me to get a few days practice in the pattern on my own beofre we get into the XC portion and its driving me nuts to watch the weather all day and then have it shift on my drive there. :mad2:

Hang in there. Soon you will be like "cool, a crosswind." At least, that is how I am. :D

Crosswinds are hard to get across.

Derp.

I had to make that very bad joke. Anyway, you'll get the hang of it soon. Hell, I'm still gettin' the hang of it.

If it makes you feel better we overflew a windsock on Sunday, straight out full of wind, direct 90 degrees across from the runway, and he said to me "I don't think we should land if this is your first time here." (Small, 40ft wide runway, 2300 long) I agreed, so we went back to my home airport and did two landings. Barely any wind.

Hang in there. Soon you will be like "cool, a crosswind." At least, that is how I am. :D

Actualy Crosswinds dont bother me too much in the 172; so long as their within reason.. I come from sailplanes and its much more of a PIA in a sailplane. Now when I get to taildraggers, I am sure to worry a bit more.. Also try landing a hanglider in a crosswind where you have to crab due to limited landing runway and then you have to hold glider sideways as you run the landing.. Needless to say I trip often and Whack in crosswinds in the HG.

I just need to get the time in so my restrictions lesson.. Unfortunately, now with the tight restriction, its tough to find perfect weather.

Hopefully soon the weather will work out...

Marc

In all this you are getting one of the flying lessons that is not covered in the FAR/AIM, patience. Sounds like you are learning it well.

I look forward to reading your next report. I still enjoy an hour or so in the pattern after work, but it was PARTICULARLY fun and rewarding right after I solo'd. You are like a new born Colt shaking around on those skinny legs. This is flight time you'll never forget.

In fact if the weather holds for me, I am going to do some pattern time after work at a 3,000 X 60 runway to get ready for a grass strip Fly In this weekend. I look forward to the pattern work as much as the Fly In.

Hello all,

Today I was finally able to spend some time in the pattern solo. I showed up at the field 4 times in the past few weeks with each time blowing more then my solo restrictions. Actually today when I arrived it was really cross at 10kts but I decided to wait out the next Atis. Luckily it changed to 160 at 9kts which was right down the runway. I decided to go. First flight was fine but as I turned toward final it was cross again at 100 at 10. Which was outside my range. Also first flight solo jitters I was about half way on final when I looked again at the asi and i was thinking damn I'm fast. Then I realize I forgot to deeply the flaps. Omg I was so embarrassed with myself I had never done that before. Anyhow i lowed the flaps and slipped right in just fine. As I rolled out the tower cleared me to taxi back to 16L but part of me wanted to be good and say its above my minimums now. But since i was cleared already I figured I'd do one more. That went fine too and it was just as cross. I decided to continue and do 3 more. All went fine and no jitters or mistakes other than that one flap issue.

Tomorrow I have a flight with the instructor to work on some airport hopping to allow me the leeway to go between Kvny & kwhp solo.

It was great to finally be up their in the pattern on my own.

Marc

Last edited:

Marc

Way to go!

And don't worry about that flap thing. Planes land just fine without 'em (ask any owner of a Cessna 120 about that), and you should start learning about that, anyway.

I remember my first post-solo flight, going round-and-round the pattern at sleepy little East Troy, WI (57C). I, of course, was announcing every, single turn in the pattern, enunciating clearly and succinctly, when my instructor -- no doubt annoyed by my incessant chatter on the Unicom loudspeaker (remember when most FBOs had loudspeakers outside?) -- got on 122.8 and said "Having fun up there, Jay?"

Damned right, I was. I was a pilot! :thumbsup:

Be proud, and stick with it. Few ever get this far.

Hello all,

Today I was finally able to spend some time in the pattern solo. I showed up at the field 4 times in the past few weeks with each time blowing more then my solo restrictions. Actually today when I arrived it was really cross at 10kts but I decided to wait out the next Atis. Luckily it changed to 160 at 9kts which was right down the runway. I decided to go. First flight was fine but as I turned toward final it was cross again at 100 at 10. Which was outside my range. Also first flight solo jitters I was about half way on final when I looked again at the asi and i was thinking damn I'm fast. Then I realize I forgot to deeply the flaps. Omg I was so embarrassed with myself I had never done that before. Anyhow i lowed the flaps and slipped right in just fine. As I rolled out the tower cleared me to taxi back to 16L but part of me wanted to be good and say its above my minimums now. But since i was cleared already I figured I'd do one more. That went fine too and it was just as cross. I decided to continue and do 3 more. All went fine and no jitters or mistakes other than that one flap issue.

Tomorrow I have a flight with the instructor to work on some airport hopping to allow me the leeway to go between Kvny & kwhp solo.

Marc

Yes, practicing on your own after solo is a BIG milestone. Keep it up!

Yes, practicing on your own after solo is a BIG milestone. Keep it up!

Yes I am very excited to be at this point. It felt weird yet great at the same time to walk up to the plane get in and go without having to wait for my CFI.. Flying for once was on my schedule and I could decide how long I fly for the day. I cant wait to go again...

Congrats on your success. Don't let your foot off the gas, you have some work ahead of you but you can do it!

Bill D.

Way to go!

And don't worry about that flap thing. Planes land just fine without 'em (ask any owner of a Cessna 120 about that), and you should start learning about that, anyway.

I remember my first post-solo flight, going round-and-round the pattern at sleepy little East Troy, WI (57C). I, of course, was announcing every, single turn in the pattern, enunciating clearly and succinctly, when my instructor -- no doubt annoyed by my incessant chatter on the Unicom loudspeaker (remember when most FBOs had loudspeakers outside?) -- got on 122.8 and said "Having fun up there, Jay?"

Damned right, I was. I was a pilot! :thumbsup:

Be proud, and stick with it. Few ever get this far.

FLAPS! I don't need no STINK ING Flaps!:lol: In fact they built a version of my plane with no flaps at all.:dunno:

I don't use flaps very often. If I'm high, I'll usually slip it instead of using flaps. Several weeks ago I came into a controlled airport really high, pulled full flaps THEN slipped it. That was one time I was glad I had flaps to pull in. I really felt like a pilot after that experience.

Back