to buy or not to buy? that is my question!

Congratulations to your new plane! Where in the Detroit area was she based? And when do we see pictures from the flight home?! :):D

Time and short trips to Gatlinburg in the fall, the Keys in the winter. Just my wife and me!

Congrats but...you don't mean that little thing was actually based at DTW???

Congratulation, it appears to lean a little right from the panel picture, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Factor in the engine reserve, like you say of 10K which is a decent estimate for an 0-200. Always budget on the higher side of the margin. Sounds like a nice little airplane, any pics?
The cost of a real overhaul to new standards will run around $13-17k. If you want an overhaul with reground cam,lifters,crank,built cylinders over sized pistons and no accessories, it will be about $11k.
new crank and cam gears are $2500 each, new crank is $4500 (2 years ago) cylinders are over $1k each,(with a year back order) new mags are 3k. the mount rubbers are $20 each requires 8, add a grand to lap and line bore the case.
simply look in T-A-P to see what the selling prices are for overhauled engines by the major shops. average $17-22k

Congrats but...you don't mean that little thing was actually based at DTW???

Not at DTW but a few miles west at Y47. I had to fly into DTW commercially for the closest airport.

I would never buy a non standard 6 Pack if you ever plan on flying IFR.

The N6617G looks like a fun airplane. Have fun.:)

Very nice, Bucket List. Join the Cessna 150-152 Club. You won't be sorry. Lots of info there.

I would never buy a non standard 6 Pack if you ever plan on flying IFR.

The N6617G looks like a fun airplane. Have fun.:)

Whats not standard about it? Seems like everything is where its supposed to be?

It does look very clean. Enjoy flying it.

six-pack1.jpg
Whats not standard about it? Seems like everything is where its supposed to be?

It does look very clean. Enjoy flying it.

https://canucme4sho.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/six-pack1.jpg

This is a standard 6 pack.

That is a six pack.
That 150 has the instruments in the same place, just spread out a tad more with the yoke and clock in the way. But its not what i would call a 'shotgun' panel. Its close enough to a six pack for me.

Since I last posted the avionics bug has bit me. I want to upgrade to something like a Garmin 430; key word is like. I am wanting to keep my budget around 5k - 7k. New or close to it as possible. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for all your guidance in advance.

That is one of the cleanest looking C150 I have seen in a long while. Garmin 430 can be had on Ebay for around $4500, maybe less as people upgrade. Install at my avionics guy would be $3400=$7900 for a lot of

That is one of the cleanest looking C150 I have seen in a long while. Garmin 430 can be had on Ebay for around $4500, maybe less as people upgrade. Install at my avionics guy would be $3400=$7900 for a lot of

is it worth spending the money on avionics that are already discontinued? what would be an equivalent to the 430 on the market today?

More info for your consideration.
The compressions were 68/73/70/70 cold. Attached is the log book entry from the last OH.

View attachment 46520
Plus .015" cylinders is as far as you can go, next oval is new cylinders, .010" under is as far as you can go, next overhaul is a new crank.
Nice aircraft, might be worth a new "new" 0-200-D next overhaul.

is it worth spending the money on avionics that are already discontinued? what would be an equivalent to the 430 on the market today?
Probably not, But I read his budget. He might lose money on the 430 install, but he will definitely lose money on a 650 install. And I read his budget.

What is your thinking, Bucketlist, as far as avionics upgrade? You can spend quite a bit of money, and unless you are planning IFR flying, there may be better ways to go if you would like to consider them.

Back