To Bruce: re: ritalin

Amelia, your child sounds different than, say, my cousin's son who receives no discipline and has a major attitude problem. They feed him ritalin, doesn't help. It's a misdaignosis of ADD in his case. He doesn't need a pill, he needs to be smacked. He's not my kid, but I've still had to deal with him for the past 16 years. All of these new age parenting philosophies were done on him. No discipline, pills solve everything, gets a trophy for coming in last. Hasn't worked too well for him, so he finally get sent off to boarding school.

Nobody said anything about a proper diagnosis, only about the large number of improper ones.

I know a couple of people that can no longer fly because of medications that they are no on. However, they are more balanced and clear thinking because of the medications. It is a shame that the FAA is still stuck in the dark ages about things like this. There has to be a way to get a vetting program going that will let some of these folks get back into the air again.

Ameila, I mistakenly posted, then deleted, a comment earlier because it was intended to be a PM.

You would be wrong to assume that people posting here have had no experience with this sort of thing. I suspect that many have. In my case, I didn't think it appropriate to post someone else's confidential medical information on a public message board.

But I will say this much, and only identify the person as a family member whose case I am intimately familiar with.

The process began when a second-grade teacher noticed that the child didn't seem to be paying attention, was fidgeting all the time, and was distracted. The teacher referred her to the school guidance counselor (whose qualifications consisted of a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and a Master's in Theatre Arts), who "diagnosed" ADHD.

The counselor signed a mimeographed form and sent the child to a drug pusher psychiatrist contracted by the school district, who had an office on the second floor of a dilapidated warehouse across town, which he shared with several other practitioners. The "psychiatric evaluation" consisted of one question: "Do you have trouble concentrating in school?" The child nodded, and that was that. Signed, sealed, and delivered.

At the time, the child had been living with her mother and three sisters in a makeshift basement apartment because their mother had recently left her abusive ex-husband, and a certain family member was in the process of helping them find them a real place. The child's distraction could be explained by the stressful situation, and her fidgeting she attributed to a rash; the makeshift apartment had no shower or bath, so the kids took "sponge baths" every few days.

This situation lasted about a week and a half. That was all the time it took to diagnose the child and medicate her. Getting her off the meds took 18 months. Her mother was threatened with the child being taken away from her if she didn't give her the meds. But the child stayed for the summer with a certain family member who was under no such threat, and who flushed the pills down the crapper on the first day of summer. That family member never told the child's mother until much later, so she could not be held responsible.

That family member also retained a licensed teacher to privately tutor the child during the summer, to prove to all concerned (including the child) that she didn't need Ritalin in order to learn and to behave herself. The child advanced more than a year in grade level during that summer, with thrice-weekly tutoring, an accomplishment that was verified when the school, not believing the tutor, re-tested her academic skills.

The psychiatrist had since been replaced with a new one who expressed extreme displeasure at the family member's methods, but who ultimately agreed that the child should be taken off the medication as it appeared she might not need it. Total time on the meds was about 18 months, during which the child advanced about three months in academic skills. In the two months off the meds, with the tutoring, she advanced more than a year.

One would think that would be the end of it. But one would be wrong. The school persisted in pressuring the mother to get the child back on meds, despite the psychiatrist's having taken her off. They still threatened her and harassed her, calling her several times a week at work. The aforementioned family member recently threatened to retain a lawyer to take legal action against the school staff if they don't cease and desist from practicing medicine without a license. We'll see if that works.

So what's my point? ADHD / ADD are real conditions, and for those who have it, stimulant drugs are a blessing that enable them to live normal lives. But I'd wager that for every legitimate diagnosis of ADD or ADHD, there probably are ten or more bogus ones. Some are made by well-meaning but unqualified school staff members, while others are made for financial reasons, as noted earlier in the thread. Schools get big bucks for each kid diagnosed with ADHD, plus they're exempt from standardized tests.

No one here, least of all myself, is opposed to children who legitimately have these conditions being treated. What I reject is the outright coercion of parents to blindly accept dubious diagnoses, and acquiesce to the administration of powerful medications to treat the alleged conditions, without (1) being absolutely certain that the diagnoses are correct, and (2) attempting to try other types of treatment before medicating these kids.

-Rich

Last edited:
Einstein's insanity definition comes to mind, Ted. If your young cousin the PITA doesn't respond to Ritalin - or any of its more modern versions- then a different tack would obviously be in order. At least with boarding school, the problem- and the discipline- devolves to adults other than the kid's parents. Might help.

Diagnosis, even back then, involved a long conversation with the kid, a lengthy questionnaire which is standard among pediatricians, and a trial on the medication to see if it helps. It, in its several forms, doesn't help everybody, not even with documented ADHD.

Interestingly, back when we were deciding on dosage, the advice from our spectacularly well-trained kiddie-shrink was to up the dose bit by bit until we could actually read the boy's handwriting. It was a surprisingly high dose, but oh, my, the difference in his outlook on life, on his ability to put up with public school BS, his ability to get his stuff together and remember where he left it, was remarkable. We very rarely found it to be necessary during the summer or on weekends.

Despite excellent performance during his senior year in high school, which he spent as a full-time student at the local junior college, he chose not to take the stuff when he went off to college for his sophomore year-- any of the four of them. Oh, well. Only the first was on our nickel.

Last edited:
Heck just look at other web boards. Of every color.
I just looked at the thread on the Purple Board and it didn't seem so negative. I don't read the red board except on rare occasions, and the other blue board which is mostly comprised of working pilots seems positive about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back