TiVo Digital Video Recorder

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
Can you use a TiVo DVR without using TiVo? I hate buying another subscription to watch tv and TiVo DVRs seem to be the only ones you can buy with the increased disk sizes.
Oh, and since I do not have a landline, I wouldn't be able to connect to TiVo service unless it went WiFi.

It is possible to use a TiVO DVR without a subscription. You would need to manually schedule programs to record, as with an old VCR, though.

TiVO can use WiFi; that's how mine is connected. I don't think it matters, though, unless you're subscribing.

You can also buy a computer and use its hard disk to record programs. Many of them have a built-in tuner and software to download schedules from the Internet. I think all Windows Media Center PCs have that capability.

Can you use a TiVo DVR without using TiVo? I hate buying another subscription to watch tv and TiVo DVRs seem to be the only ones you can buy with the increased disk sizes.
Oh, and since I do not have a landline, I wouldn't be able to connect to TiVo service unless it went WiFi.

The benefits of subscribing and connecting your TiVo to the net outweigh the costs.

You should be able to get lifetime for $299. I've paid like $699(!) for my lifetime sub and transfer and I'm still ahead. I've gotten use for going on 8 years, the last year for two units.

Call TiVo and argue for the $299 deal vs. the normal $399. They're offering that to new subs.

Also check eBay for Lifetime subscription cards.

Like you, I'd hate having another nickel and dime charge. Lifetime fixes that.

With the connectivity, besides TiVo service you get online programming like YouTube and web video and podcast, now (some) Netfilx and Amazon Unbox. Amazon has free some content.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-parts-bin-2.php#network
You can also transfer to and from your PC with TiVo2Go.

I've been thinking about how I can extend to another room and it looks like I'll likely be getting a second TiVo XL with CableCARD and lifetime in a year or two.

Enuf! :D

Last edited:
Back