Tired of red lights <g>

riiiight...

Looks like really good way to get hit in an intersection (note the cars that blew through the instant red light when they used the remote)...

Can this be for real? :hairraise:

If so, I wouldn't use it change lights on the roll, but it could sure shorten the time spent sitting at long lights! :yes:

Who let the gremlins out...? :rofl:

I am throwin' down on it.

Can this be for real? :hairraise:

If so, I wouldn't use it change lights on the roll, but it could sure shorten the time spent sitting at long lights! :yes:

Who let the gremlins out...? :rofl:

Nope.

Preemption devices like the ones on emergency vehicles are much higher powered than your simple household remote, and upon seeing the signal, the preemption event would turn the lights on the intersection yellow, then red, THEN yours green. One of the reasons the MIRT systems work so well is that the high powered strobe is first seen by the traffic light at about 1800 feet, which gives the system enough time to lock down the intersection and a green light by the time the emergency vehicle arrives.

Fact is, had the remote ACTUALLY worked, the time between the button pressing and changing would've been quite a bit longer.

And seriously. 9-1-1 as the universal remote code? C'mon now.

(I'm only being serious because I hate when people make these stupid videos, just like that stupid video about the tennis ball unlocking a car door. These kids probably drove around for hours to get that one traffic light "proof".)

I tried it on base to final last night.....and it worked.....go figure

I'm sure not the technical expert, but there seem to be different sensor systems. One picks up when vehicles with flashing lights approach an intersection. One police chief on another board says this may work with those systems. DK the 911 code, but it does say to try other combinations.

Anyway, looked interesting!!

Best,

Dave

And seriously. 9-1-1 as the universal remote code? C'mon now.

My B.S. detector exploded to smithereens 11 seconds into that video.

Have you ever looked at the actual signal that's actually being transmitted? Each brand transmits a different signal. "1" on a Zenith is NOT the same as "1" on Technics. Even the signals between a CD player and receiver for the same brand are different for the same button number. That brings us to which code is correct..assuming any of the codes are correct in the first place which is doubtful.

Then there's the show stopper problem of a low power IR transmitter that's designed for short range in a shaded/low light environment trying to hit one of those sensors at 500-1500 ft during the day. Based on previous experiments working with IR transmitter/detectors, that's simply not going to work in the real world except over very short distances assuming the transmitter/receivers are aligned near perfectly...IF the sun isn't shining into the detector.

IMNSHO this whole idea is just another way to make all those lethally dangerous intersections even more dangerous.

Tired of running late? Leave earlier and quit being in such a hurry all the time.

Back