Tips, how to make smooth landings

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by motoadve, Jul 4, 2021.

1. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    I would say a lot of pilots early on just freeze in the flare, but most trainers manage to land themselves most times and the pilot gets away with it. I swear when I was a student it would almost seem like I blacked out in the flare with no memory of how I got the plane down, it just did it. It took many hours and landings before I really felt like I was actually landing the airplane.

I will echo the technique of having a student fly down the runway without touching down. It is especially helpful to demonstrate the use of crosswind controls and what you are actually doing. I will have the students fly from edge to edge of our 150 foot wide runway using just aileron while keeping the nose aligned with the runway.

Another thing I say to try to help students learn to land, is imagine you are playing a game where the airplane wants to land, but you don't want it to. You try to hold the plane a foot or two off, and keep fighting to keep it there instead of touching down. It helps visualize what we mean when we use the word "flare". Early on as an instructor I found students didn't quite understand what I was doing, and what I was asking them to do when we "flared".

2. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    Great exercise!

David Megginson likes this.
  3. EdFred

EdFred Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    Making it way too complicated. Keep nose up and descent rate to 100fpm or less. That's it.

4. David Megginson

David Megginson Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Canuck
    Ah, but we're taking note of where to aim if a midair is unavoidable.
    upload_2021-7-7_15-47-28.png

5. Ed Haywood

Ed Haywood Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Big Ed
    I do the opposite. No flaps, so I cut power to idle abeam the numbers, make a tight 180, cross the fence high and fast, then slip hard down to the runway. Probably looks terrible from the ground, but I know if I lose power at any point in the pattern I will make the runway. I've flown with a few fighter pilots and UPT instructors and apparently that's what they want to see, so if the military ever gets desperate for 56 year old wannabe fighter pilots, I'm in.

Huckster79 likes this.
  6. Huckster79

Huckster79 Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Huckster79
    Yea iv read about a procedure they do that’s not dissimilar to what you describe- and it helps them know know where they will be landing in an engine out scenario.

it’s kind of interesting to hear all the different angles on this… and what’s cool is there’s validity in all of Them. A million ways to skin a cat :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Ed Haywood likes this.
  7. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    Not a technique I came up with. I think I picked it up at Burnside-Ott at Opa Locka in the 1970’s.

Most student pilots have previously driven thousands of hours in cars, so looking over the nose and “down the road” on landing is a hard habit to break. Just telling them repeatedly to “look out the side when the nose comes up” often has no effect - they keep straining to see down a runway they can’t see at the end of the flare, or if they can see it its too far away for them to accurately judge height. Forcing them to change their focus may just lead them to better landings. Bizarre? Can’t say, but it was effective.

8. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    "There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." ;)

9. Captain Sweet T

Captain Sweet T Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Captain Sweet T
    Im not sure exactly my technique, however, my CFI told me to focus intensley when I was having a bout with some rough landings when learning and once I got my focus right, landings became easy

10. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    must-stay-focus.jpg

Captain Sweet T likes this.