tinnitus with no hearing loss

uae96

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
uae96
hey guys i am what so ever not related to USA but wanted to ask some people with flying experience who have a condition called ' tinnitis'

more about me
i am a 19 year old student , i live in UAE , DUBAI i have been listening to some loud music and i have other jaw issues so one night i noticed slight ring in my right ear which is currently in both but its mild only heard in quite enviroments i have no hearing loss what so ever

so my question us
i want to apply for PPL here and i am wondering if anyone with tinnitus still continues to fly with no problems in worsening , because i assume a good pair of noise cancelling headsets will cover alot of noise
so will it be wise not to go further or i am just being too paranoid?
thanks for anyone who replies on theyre opinion even if you do not have tinnitus :)

1. turn down the music. If attending a live event where the volume is set to 11, wearing hearing protection. Hearing damage is permanent. So you're stuck with what you have now. But don't make it worse.

2. Tinnitus can be part of a worse problem like Meniere's disease. Have your doc do an examination to rule that out.

3. Most of us can only speak about the US FAA and our experience with medical certification under their rules. You will need to speak with the proper authority in the UAE to see what their certification standards.

1. turn down the music. If attending a live event where the volume is set to 11, wearing hearing protection. Hearing damage is permanent. So you're stuck with what you have now. But don't make it worse.

2. Tinnitus can be part of a worse problem like Meniere's disease. Have your doc do an examination to rule that out.

3. Most of us can only speak about the US FAA and our experience with medical certification under their rules. You will need to speak with the proper authority in the UAE to see what their certification standards.
i am cleared for the medicals i have passed it , i went to the doctor with no diseases or problems what so ever , i am only worried about further worseing ifi i fly , do you suffer with tinnitus as well ?

I have it pretty bad.
Spring for noise cancelling headphones.

Also if you have it, you do have hearing loss.
It may just be that the loss is at very specific frequencies that are not normally in your day to day life.

I can hear normal stuff perfectly. My tinnitus is the result of drum cymbals. Somewhere in those high frequency ranges, I have near 50% hearing loss. Your brain fills in the void with ringing.

I told my doctor my ear was ringing, he said "answer it, or get an unlisted ear."

But yah, tinitus is something to be aware of and not make worse. I've not seen anything on lessening it.

Best to get in a good practice of wearing hearing protection for any high volume times, including mowing the lawn.

I'm not a doctor and do not work with or for FAA:

The FAA hearing test is:

"The applicant must demonstrate an ability to hear an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears, at a distance of 6 feet from the Examiner, with the back turned to the Examiner."

If you fail this, there are other tests that are acceptable.

I don't know if your tinnitis is bad enough to affect your hearing to fail this test. I don't know if tinnitis is a symptom of another medical problem that would cause you to fail other parts of the FAA exam.

I have tinnitus and normal hearing in one ear and some loss in the other. It's not a problem on the FAA medical. All you need to hear is the spoken word.

I have undiagnosed tinnitus. AF physical found hearing loss after many years of flying jets, but it was above the range they cared about. I think it was 6000Hz? AF conducts their test in a sound proof booth with headphones.

I have no problems passing FAA hearing test. Verbal conversation with the examiner, sometimes with his back turned. He's doing that portion of the test during the whole exam and you don't realize it.

' tinnitis'

more about me
i am a 19 year old student ... so one night i noticed slight ring in my right ear which is currently in both but its mild only heard in quite environments i have no hearing loss what so ever

pilot or not ... if a patient presents with unilateral tinnitus of recent onset i usually recommend a complete physical, complete labs etc ... and in your case would give strong consideration to include a chest xray and a scan of your cranium & an eval by a ENT.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back