Tinnitus (Ringing In The Ears)

If it were that simple everyone would be doing it and there would be a lot of doctors saying "Here are the steps"

Very few shrinks even understand how to do it, but you can learn through meditation; it helps to be on an EEG, but not necessary. PET scan may be very helpful, but I never got to play on one of those. I never said it was simple, I said it was doable, it's up to you alone.

Last edited:
Cool, I tried 6PC's suggestion and it did seem to work.

I got mine on my left ear when I drove cars on a dyno for 5 years. then I moved to the UK, did the same thing but sat on the opposite side in the car, and got it on my right... 180mph stationary on a set of 2000lbs rollers is not quiet... I used cheap ear protection which just wasn't up to task.

Thankfully it's not very loud, so not a QOL issue.

Very interesting reading. All the time I spent on the ramp did its damage. (Plus working across the airport from Rockwell's Commander plant. They were painfully loud even with hearing protection) Nowadays, it is my gauge for needing to relax, or when to take a break at work. Horribly loud when I am stressed out, or extremely tired. Manageable the rest of the time.

Mine is progressive. It started out low and now is moderately high without further exposure. Unfortunately, what I am saying is your tinnitus may get worse, but everyone is different.

Just found out this week that I have a rather large thyroid nodule. Actually, it's ginormous. During my consult with the ENT, he said my tinnitus may be related to the nodule.

I'm having a biopsy done this week and a follow up the week after that. Most likely they will remove either a portion of, or the entire thyroid. The ENT said if that happens, the tinnitus may stop altogether.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't stand loud music or noises or anything, I did do basically all of my flying with some cheaper Sigtronics but I don't have any recognizable tinnitus. I did end up going to an Avenged Sevenfold concert with my girlfriend (bought the tickets for her and her friend to go, friend couldn't go) and spent the whole time doubled over plugging my ears until my fingers were tired.

I do hear a lot of sounds though, a ton of electronics making the high pitched noises. One of the brightness settings on my laptop drives me crazy.

Just found out this week that I have a rather large thyroid nodule. Actually, it's ginormous. During my consult with the ENT, he said my tinnitus may be related to the nodule.

I'm having a biopsy done this week and a follow up the week after that. Most likely they will remove either a portion of, or the entire thyroid. The ENT said if that happens, the tinnitus may stop altogether.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Thyroids have lots of nodules and strange growths that are innocuous. Don't be alarmed unless told it is important.

Thyroids have lots of nodules and strange growths that are innocuous. Don't be alarmed unless told it is important.

I'm not too worried; I've had melanoma and open heart surgery, this is nothing (so far).

Thank you for the concern, though. I appreciate it.

!

Week #3 Tinnitus Update :happydance:

This week we reviewed and talked about stress relieving techniques and how meditation and doing activities that bring you pleasure help. It wont stop the ringing, but you wont care as much. The point is management of stress either caused by outside sources, the SZ, or tinnitus. :lol: :yes:

Then we moved onto products designed for tinnitus that can help.

1. Blue Tooth hearing aids! WOW! You can stream radio, TV, music, radio, to your hearing aids and help with the distraction. You can listen to it all the time! You can turn down the TV & radio so you don't bother others. Driving shopping, reading, sleeping, etc.

2. Speaker Products. Several products with speakers in them so you can play what ever you want. Pillows, headbands (that can be used with hearing aids), head phones, ear buds, etc.

3. Sound Machines. Several "white noise" machines that have pre-recorded music and sounds in them that can play in your office or at night when you are sleeping. The choice of sounds are endless and take some experimenting and patience to check out.

The key here? Be your own best scientist, doctor, psychologist, when treating tinnitus. Keep trying new things and find things that work. Embrace the "project" as you would anything in your life. Attack it!

Veterans! All of the products I mentioned here are free. Just ask for them! If you are not currently in the VA Medical system you need to be!

Last edited:
Re: !

Week #3 Tinnitus Update :happydance:

This week we reviewed and talked about stress relieving techniques and how meditation and doing activities that bring you pleasure help. It wont stop the ringing, but you wont care as much. The point is management of stress either caused by outside sources, the SZ, or tinnitus. :lol: :yes:

Then we moved onto products designed for tinnitus that can help.

1. Blue Tooth hearing aids! WOW! You can stream radio, TV, music, radio, to your hearing aids and help with the distraction. You can listen to it all the time! Driving shopping, reading, sleeping, etc.

2. Speaker Products Several products with speakers in them so you can play what ever you want. Pillows, headbands (that can be used with hearing aids), head phones, ear buds, etc.

3. Sound Machines. Several "white noise" machines that have pre-recorded music and sounds in them that can play in your office or at night when you are sleeping. The choice of sounds are endless and take some experimenting and patience to check out.

The key here? Be your own best scientist, doctor, psychologist, when treating tinnitus. Keep trying new things and find things that work. Embrace the "project" as you would anything in your life. Attack it!

Veterans! All of the products I mentioned here are free. Just ask for them! If you are not currently in the VA Medical system you need to be!

Not caring is the first step in ignoring, once you can ignore it, you can turn it off; keep working at it.

Re: !

Not caring is the first step in ignoring, once you can ignore it, you can turn it off; keep working at it.

Yes, but lots of patients have trouble concentrating, sleeping, reading, studying, etc. These products give you tools to try so that ignoring it becomes easier.

I must admit I have noticed the ringing more this week since I started the classes. :rolleyes2:

Ignoring it is the ultimate goal, finding a masking sound help get your there. :yes:

I find that while I can here it distinctly right now it blends with the hum of computers around me so it vanishes as background noise at work unless I think about it. Then it is all I hear

Being in large versus small rooms helps too as rooms have their own ambiance.
The "sound" becomes a part of that for me in larger rooms.

FWIW, I am loving this app. I find it very helpful

attachment.php

Attachments

• app.jpg
    app.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 375
What's interesting is I would have thought since the ringing is all in your mind, playing this app in just one ear should have the same effect but I tried that and it only stopped the ringing on one side.

I need to think about that some more and see if I can figure out why.

Is that an IOS app, I couldn't find it in the app store on my iPhone. Thanks.

Final Week Update

The 5 weeks course ended today. I must say it certainly was worth while. Didn't change the tinnitus, I still have it, but I have "put it in a different place" in my head and daily living. We worked on skills to minimize the stress and perception of tinnitus. Basically, don't let it control your thoughts. Replace the thoughts of worrying about it with pleasant thoughts, and actions to take your mind off it.

1. Acceptance is the key to living with tinnitus.

2. Learn to control your thoughts about tinnitus. Instead of thinking "I am always going to have live with it.", replace "always" with "accept". It is a part of your you are. It doesn't define who you are, you do. Just accept it.

3. Stress relief is key factor in dealing with tinnitus Do things to relax. Do activities you enjoy. Replace thoughts of tinnitus controlling your day and sleep with acceptance. Don't become stressed over little stuff.

4. Become your own "scientist" and try things to relieve the tinnitus and its effect on you. Meds, caffeine, foods, aspirin, stress, noise, all can contribute to making it worse.

5. It's kind of like developing a sore elbow. At one time your elbow was fine, not it hurts. It hurts and gets worse with certain movements so we learn not to do those movements. "If it hurts to do that, don't do that." Learn what makes tinnitus worse in your life, and don't do that. Stressing over it, worrying about it, allowing it to control your thoughts is worth changing.

Last edited:
I've heard rumors that ginger root, St. John's wort, and cat's claw can reduce tinnitus a bit.

Rich

My mother swore that garlic cloves kept tinnitus manageable for her. I always thought it was to keep my Dad the vampire at bay.

What's interesting is I would have thought since the ringing is all in your mind, playing this app in just one ear should have the same effect but I tried that and it only stopped the ringing on one side.

I need to think about that some more and see if I can figure out why.

Do both of your ears handle signal processing in series or parallel?

Hookers and blow keep my ears from ringing, you think Obamacare will cover it? The noise gives me debilitating mental anguish, maybe disability will pay for the hotel.

I've heard rumors that ginger root, St. John's wort, and cat's claw can reduce tinnitus a bit.

Rich
I'm thinking blood pressure affects tinnitus as well....maybe those help lower the blood pressure....or thin the blood and effectively lowering it?

I'm thinking blood pressure affects tinnitus as well....maybe those help lower the blood pressure....or thin the blood and effectively lowering it?

I question it being blood pressure related, I have never had any blood pressure issues and have always had it.

so....maybe yours is different? ;)

There is always that potential for sure. Considering we are clueless as to the specific cause, it could be a neurological overload effect that could be caused through multiple issues, a general relief valve if you will. All it is is the manifestation of non specific energy in a specific region of the brain. The neurological overload could come from anything.:dunno:

St. John's wort affects the levels of about half a dozen neurotransmitters and is a potent anti-inflammatory. It's commonly prescribed for tinnitus by alternative health care practitioners and has several clinical studies strongly suggesting its efficacy.

Cat's claw is also a potent anti-inflammatory that also seems to have a balancing effect on the autoimmune system. At least some cases of tinnitus are believed to have an autoimmune component, so rumor has it.

Ginger root is rumored to have some neurological effects (although I forget what they are offhand), but it also seems to be helpful in alleviating congestion or inflammation of the Eustachian tubes (or so rumor has it).

Rich

St. John's wort affects the levels of about half a dozen neurotransmitters and is a potent anti-inflammatory. It's commonly prescribed for tinnitus by alternative health care practitioners and has several clinical studies strongly suggesting its efficacy.

Cat's claw is also a potent anti-inflammatory that also seems to have a balancing effect on the autoimmune system. At least some cases of tinnitus are believed to have an autoimmune component, so rumor has it.

Ginger root is rumored to have some neurological effects (although I forget what they are offhand), but it also seems to be helpful in alleviating congestion or inflammation of the Eustachian tubes (or so rumor has it).

Rich

Soooo... Blend them all into a hooka and smoke them?

... suggesting its efficacy.

... seems to have ...
...believed to have...
...rumor has it.

...rumored to have ...
... seems to be helpful ...
... so rumor has it).
Based on that collection of statements, I don't see that as a powerful recommendation.

Based on that collection of statements, I don't see that as a powerful recommendation.

Based on the fact that I don't know you, I don't really care.

Rich

EDIT: Okay, that was harsh. My apologies.

I used to have a girlfriend who was a D.O. and was also into alternative medicine. She got me into it, as well. In the years since then, I've done a lot of research into herbs and I've found quite a bit of evidence for efficacy in many cases -- none of which will convince 95% of medical professionals in the U.S.

I, however, don't care because I am not under any delusions that the U.S. medical establishment holds a monopoly on wisdom. The people our medical establishment calls "witch doctors" have been keeping people healthy for just as long as they have.

Last edited:

It didn't appear to be a recommendation, it appeared to be data weighted accurately for value. What you do with that data is up to you. Some people are desperate enough that it could cure it through placebo effect. If you have the faith and belief it will work, it will.

It didn't appear to be a recommendation, it appeared to be data weighted accurately for value. What you do with that data is up to you. Some people are desperate enough that it could cure it through placebo effect. If you have the faith and belief it will work, it will.

It was weighted more for flame-resistance. I have no license and no credentials, so I can't make recommendations. But I can throw something out there to give others a starting point for their own research and DD, if they like.

For my part, I run every herb I use past my M.D. I bring the research with me, and he reads it over and gets back to me with his opinions. My previous doctor refused to do so, which is one reason I found a new one.

Rich

Widely reported last month was the NYS Attorney General action against multiple outlets of herbal supplements. Their tests showed that many supplements had little or no active ingredient. Read about it across the full spectrum of news outlets, from Fox, to NYT, to NPR.

This is a major problem with the supplement industry in the US. Oversight for quality is insufficient. Without laboratory testing, it borders on impossible to known what is in the bottle, regardless of the label.

It was weighted more for flame-resistance. I have no license and no credentials, so I can't make recommendations. But I can throw something out there to give others a starting point for their own research and DD, if they like.

It would be more effective if anyone could cite any replicated, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover studies published in peer-reviewed journals. There are many such journals outside of the U.S. and, under today's academic paradigm, almost any researcher will leap at the chance to publish positive findings.
What we usually find instead is reference to someone's personal blog or an article in Mother Earth News ... along with claims that the herb in question will "detoxify the liver" and "cleanse the blood."
There *are* valid uses for herbs in medicine. St. John's Wort has a good record regarding the treatment of depression, for example. Those studies are easy to find at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/. PubMed indexes multiple journals from China which often present findings on herbal medicine, along with the more-focused journal, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

It would be more effective if anyone could cite any replicated, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover studies published in peer-reviewed journals. There are many such journals outside of the U.S. and, under today's academic paradigm, almost any researcher will leap at the chance to publish positive findings.
What we usually find instead is reference to someone's personal blog or an article in Mother Earth News ... along with claims that the herb in question will "detoxify the liver" and "cleanse the blood."
There *are* valid uses for herbs in medicine. St. John's Wort has a good record regarding the treatment of depression, for example. Those studies are easy to find at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/. PubMed indexes multiple journals from China which often present findings on herbal medicine, along with the more-focused journal, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

http://ata.org/sites/ata.org/files/pdf/March_2002_Tinnitus_Today.pdf Check out page 6.

As you well know, the kind of studies demanded by most American allopaths cost a great deal of money; and obviously Big Pharma is not going to pay for research into something that they can't patent. If they can't isolate a single compound whose structure they can manipulate enough to make it patentable, they're not interested. In many cases, none of the compounds in a plant seem to be effective when isolated from the whole. In other cases, laboratory-synthesized analogues simply don't have the same efficacy as Mother Nature's variety, and no one knows why.

As for academia, consider where most of their funding comes from. Do you seriously think universities are going to jeopardize the gravy train to carry out research that may find that an inexpensive plant that grows like a weed in South American or Asia works as well as or better than their benefactors' proprietary products? Don't hold your breath. Other than Cornell, the colleges don't care, either.

I use herbs after allopathic medicine has run out of options, by the way. I'm not anti-medicine. When I have a medical problem I call a doctor first, not an herbalist. Most times they have something that works. Sometimes they don't, but nature does. That's when I give nature a try.

The reason I know something about the tinnitus is because I had it all my life, but it never really bothered me, so I did nothing about it. But I had some serious, sudden, unilateral hearing loss about 15 years ago (before I met my D.O. lady friend) and spent many months and dollars on conventional remedies that did nothing. An MRI had ruled out acoustic neuroma, and the tests he did in the office had rules out neurological issues, Meniere's, etc.

So he started throwing pills at the problem. Diuretics, antihistamines, decongestants, tranquilizers, sedatives, steroids, even quinine. No joy. The hearing loss was getting neither any better nor any worse.

After several months, my pharmacist, who had been a physician in China, took me aside and advised me to take the three herbs I mentioned above, along with others that I've since stopped taking. The others included capsicum and licorice root. Two or three weeks later, my hearing in the affected ear was close to normal; and as an added bonus, the tinnitus was gone.

The capsicum and licorice root actually had some immediate effect in terms of opening the Eustachian tubes. I could actually feel it and hear it. But the relief was short-lived and there were gastric side effects, so I stopped taking them.

In any case, a few weeks later I went back to the ENT and told him my hearing was back. He didn't believe it. So he set up another hearing test with the audiologist: but even after that showed that my hearing was within normal limits again, he still didn't believe it. So he did it two more times, two weeks apart. Finally the insurance company balked at paying for any more hearing tests for a patient whose hearing was WNL.

At that point, the ENT came close to accusing me of faking the whole thing -- as if I had nothing better to do with my time and money for all those months. The possibility that some herbs from a Chinese pharmacist were effective when nothing he'd tried had been was outside of his framework of reference, I suppose: but he needed some way to explain away that pesky little detail that I could hear out of my right ear again.

That's when I told the ENT that his services were no longer required. A couple of years later I started dating a D.O. and happened to mention the experience to her, and she said it made perfect sense that those particular herbs would be helpful, and explained the reasons to me. The information's out there and easy to find if you search for it. It may not meet the FDA's requirements for an NDA, but I'm not the FDA.

Rich

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back