Tinnitus (Ringing In The Ears)

I don't, and I've been wearing them for 20 years.
On the other hand, maybe it would be worse with the HAs.

I know many that get relief when wearing their aids, but some don't. There's no guarantee, which is why ear-level maskers (white noise generators) never really worked for most people.

I make it a point to tell young people about the dangers of loud noises on their hearing, and that the effects may not be noticeable for years. I tell construction workers using power tools, lawn care people riding loud mowers and using blowers. I tell kids that brag about the ringing in their ears after a concert. I show them that I have two hearing aids because of my past actions (concerts, construction, gunfire) and explain how I never wore hearing protection. They ALL just sort of roll their eyes and go on about their business. I don't think one of them has ever taken my advice.

At the yard, I have a hearing protection program going that follows the OSHA guidelines. Strongly suggested the dismantle team have foam plugs in all the time. Mandatory they have plugs and earmuffs in/on when doing any task that involves using the sawzall or cut off grinder.

I know many that get relief when wearing their aids, but some don't. There's no guarantee, which is why ear-level maskers (white noise generators) never really worked for most people.

White noise, talk radio, music, TV all help me. The hearings aids help me keep the volume down so the wife doesn't complain. :lol:

Next week they are going to have a "show & tell" of the latest and greatest things to help. Pillows with Bluetooth, head bands with speakers, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. After 6000+ hours of flying loud helicopters and 21 years L.E. experience, I have it bad. Keeps me up at night and wakes me up in the morning, despite a white noise unit in the room. And it never goes away, just gets masked by other noises. My doc just shrugs and tells me there is no cure. Currently I am in the middle of a 45 day trial period for the Serenade Sound Cure machine ($2000). The audiologist told me it works for about 50% of people. I must be on the wrong side of 50%, no helpful effect at all for me at least. And interesting comment about the person hearing some sort of music. Before my elderly mother died, she told me she had Tinnitus in the form of hearing the same music over and over again. To this day I thought she was going crazy, but maybe not. If you are a young guy (or gal), better take notice, or this will some day drive you crazy too.

Interesting thread. After 6000+ hours of flying loud helicopters and 21 years L.E. experience, I have it bad. Keeps me up at night and wakes me up in the morning, despite a white noise unit in the room. And it never goes away, just gets masked by other noises. My doc just shrugs and tells me there is no cure. Currently I am in the middle of a 45 day trial period for the Serenade Sound Cure machine ($2000). The audiologist told me it works for about 50% of people. I must be on the wrong side of 50%, no helpful effect at all for me at least. And interesting comment about the person hearing some sort of music. Before my elderly mother died, she told me she had Tinnitus in the form of hearing the same music over and over again. To this day I thought she was going crazy, but maybe not. If you are a young guy (or gal), better take notice, or this will some day drive you crazy too.

Let me know how your trial turns out.

I have it. I did not have it until I did my first 90 hours in a 140, no headset.

Now it drives me crazy.

They say alcohol aggravates it. I am trying to find out for sure

They say alcohol aggravates it. I am trying to find out for sure

Can't say why/how/when but everyone is different. Etoh is generally good for my tinnitus. Cigars are bad, very bad. Sudden loud noises are worse. Someday I may snap and kill because someone let a loud noise trigger my tinnitus...

Tinnitus in one ear for me. Not real bad. I deal with it by not thinking about it. So that I don't notice it.

The worst thing is when someone mentions the word. Then I start to notice it, and I can't quit. I'm now wishing I hadn't noticed this thread.

I've got it.
I grew up mowing lawns with no ear plugs, loud radios, no head phones.
My first lessons in a C-150 was with no headset, flew a lot of years in small aircraft with no headset.
Flew B-52 and B1 for a few years, even with helmet, headphones and ear plugs, made no difference.

AF noted a hearing loss at retirement, very high freq, higher than they cared about to keep passing the flight physical.

The tones come and go, seem loudest in the evening. Don't really notice if I'm busy with something.

Tinnitus in one ear for me. Not real bad. I deal with it by not thinking about it. So that I don't notice it.

The worst thing is when someone mentions the word. Then I start to notice it, and I can't quit. I'm now wishing I hadn't noticed this thread.

Have you had your checked out? I read somewhere that tinnitus in one ear could be a symptom of a medical condition. That is the first thing my doc asked me when I first got it, even though I have it in both ears, they sent me out for a scan.

I've noticed it in the last year or so. Luckily mine is fairly transitory and hasn't really gotten past the stage of being annoying. I use ear plugs pretty regularly, even when riding on the motorcycle now, but it seems the damage is already done (audiograms show some hearing loss).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High pitched tone in my left ear all the time. Like someone previously said, I can remember the exact day and place it turned on. I was in a hospital checking on my Dad who had colon cancer. Very stressful time.

It's like one of those old TV tubes whining. Very annoying.

Zyrtec-D antihistamine does help as per my doctor's orders (he thinks my tinnitus is allergy based), but I can't use it when I fly ... :sad:

Last edited:
Nuke a cap full of hydrogen peroxide until it's warm and clean your ears with it Geico.

That helps too.

Careful! It only takes a few seconds to get hot!

OIC for the firing of 100,000 rounds of 105 and 155mm howitzer rounds over 16 years. Despite wearing fitted ear plugs during firing, I have tinnitus. Also fired thousands of small arms ammo as a kid with no hearing protection. Top it all off with a couple hundred hours in a Cub with no headset and doors open. Oddly enough, after four years away from the gun line during my retirement physical, the audiologist noted a slight improvement in my overall hearing with only limited hearing loss, yet the ringing rarely stops. Fortunately, mine isn't so bad as to be disruptive. The quieter it is, the more I notice it though. Still, it doesn't effect my sleep.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

re-reading this thread.
Are their hearing aids that reduce the ringing???

re-reading this thread.

Some wearers get temporary relief, but it's not guaranteed for everyone. Certain aids have random noise/tone generators that can help in quiet, mainly by filling in the void of environmental sound.

It's best to make friends as tinnitus is typically a lifelong partner. It is almost always benign. Mostly a nuisance, although debilitating for some.

Can't say why/how/when but everyone is different. Etoh is generally good for my tinnitus. Cigars are bad, very bad. Sudden loud noises are worse. Someday I may snap and kill because someone let a loud noise trigger my tinnitus...

This is where bio feedback and meditation can help. You are experiencing "fight or flight" the tinnitus can cause stress in your brain because your brain thinks you cannot get away from it. The meditation and bio feedback training really helps the brain "put the sound in perspective" as a simply annoyance rather than a huge deal.

Please check out meditation classes, yoga, bio feedback training. It really does help if you let it. :yes:

I've noticed it in the last year or so. Luckily mine is fairly transitory and hasn't really gotten past the stage of being annoying. I use ear plugs pretty regularly, even when riding on the motorcycle now, but it seems the damage is already done (audiograms show some hearing loss).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is progressive. It started out low and now is moderately high without further exposure. Unfortunately, what I am saying is your tinnitus may get worse, but everyone is different.

Last edited:
re-reading this thread.

For some people yes. Mine didn't touch the ringing at all.

I don't know how that can really. The sound is in my brain not my ears.

Some say smoking pot helps. Certainly, would reduce the stress! :lol: :dunno:

I took good care of my hearing until one day I marshalled a ParisJet start and departure without hearing protection. I've had mild constant ringing at about 8 KHz ever since.

I've been dealing with tinnitus since 2008 and can definitely relate. I found this link several years ago that seems to provide some temporary relief once you find the appropriate mix of sounds and volume level. Only provides temporary relief, but it's something.

http://gomix.it/

Also my ear doctor referred me to this site for an app that might provide some relief.

http://promedicalaudio.com/

Very interesting Over50! Thanks!

There is a sound on the first link called "Chicadas" I cannot hear it at all without hearing aids. The first time in 30 years I heard that sound was today by listening to it with my new hearing aids! THANK YOU!

I took good care of my hearing until one day I marshalled a ParisJet start and departure without hearing protection. I've had mild constant ringing at about 8 KHz ever since.

Wow, one exposure is all it took.

When you think about it our hearing was never built for today's loud noises.

We really should be teaching young people the perils of loud noise exposure and how it can be life altering.

HOLY LORD!!!

I put an android version of that app on my phone and listened to the tone in the background for ~30 min.

Turned it off and the ringing is gone!
UN FREAKING REAL

I know it is temporary but I can't hear the ringing right now and that is incredible.
Didn't know therapy for this was even a thing.

Thank you for starting this thread. I owe you a house.

HOLY LORD!!!

I put an android version of that app on my phone and listened to the tone in the background for ~30 min.

Turned it off and the ringing is gone!
UN FREAKING REAL

I know it is temporary but I can't hear the ringing right now and that is incredible.
Didn't know therapy for this was even a thing.

Thank you for starting this thread. I owe you a house.
Which one?

I have to sleep with a white noise generator app on, even in a crowded restaurant or store I can still "hear" it. I have no idea how in the world I got it, either.

Which one?

I just got the "stop tinnitus" one and dialed in until I hit my frequencies which seems to be ~3990-4020

I listened to the opposite wave for a bit and take the ear phones off and silence. The silence lasts about 30 minutes it seems. Good enough.

I have it. I have it really bad. Mine is heavy metal induced. I am a huge advocate of not wearing headphones, get the noise cancelling headphones for your plane. Don't listen to music too loud in your car. It is hell I cannot stand it I sleep with sound machines and I have to have noise around me all the time otherwise I just hear the GD ringing​

It is nothing but a thought, thoughts can be turned off by ignoring them. There are a few tricks of meditation to this, but it's doable. Nothing is real until you perceive it, if you blank that perception, the tinnitus no longer exists. Most things in the 'reality' of human existence are nothing but imaginings that we make true with thought.

I just got the "stop tinnitus" one and dialed in until I hit my frequencies which seems to be ~3990-4020

I listened to the opposite wave for a bit and take the ear phones off and silence. The silence lasts about 30 minutes it seems. Good enough.

Don't mean to sound stupid, but one is called Go Mix It, the other Pro Music, can you be more specific which one?

ok, so how to "you" pronounce it? ti-NIGHT-us or TIN-i-tus

WAYco, WAHco or WHACKo?

No those are not available on Android. It was one I found on google play store.
I am sure they all work the same. You find your tone, and listen to the opposing wave in the same freq.

Seems to offer brief moments of relief. I dig it.

No those are not available on Android. It was one I found on google play store.
I am sure they all work the same. You find your tone, and listen to the opposing wave in the same freq.

Seems to offer brief moments of relief. I dig it.

Basically ANR for your brain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back