Timeframe on receiving a Special Issuance

triton63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
triton63
I am trying to get back into flying after many years. I had a heart stint about 1 1/2 years ago. Everything is fine now and my doctor says he doesn't see any problem with getting the SI but that it could take anywhere from 1-6 months to get a reply from the FAA. What has been your experience with an SI? How long does it "normally" take? I realize there may not be anything normal about the timeline but trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Thanks!

I have almost exactly the same experience. I had a stent 2 1/2 yrs ago, Dr. says I'm doing fine, sent my stuff in in September. Got a reply last week and they require a stress test performed exactly to their standards and want the original print outs from the EKG. Good luck.

Jerry

The first one about 75 days. Each subsequent about 45 days. YMMV

My experience as an insulin dependant diabetic was around 5-6 months for the first one.

I started the process in March, knowing full well that they would request more info from me. I got the letter requesting more info/tests about 5 weeks later. They gave me 30 days to respond, but I couldn't get everything scheduled and returned that quickly. I asked for an extension and they gave me an additional thirty days. Finally, I got everything submitted. I received my SI the first week of September.

Since then, I have a nice system set up. I get all the required doctor's appts scheduled a year out and about 5 weeks before my medical runs out, I submit all the paperwork they ask for in my SI letter. I got my latest one back in around 3 weeks which was the fastest turn around to date for me.

One tip for you if I may...get a list of everything you need from whatever doctor ahead of time and give it to them to help them out. My endocrinologist and eye doctor have been fabulous about getting everything put together for me. I give them a copy of the letter with stuff highlighted for easy reference. They are busy people and I like to help them out since they are helping me out.

Good luck with everything! Hope to see you in air soon!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back