Timebuilding in a Cherokee

ontheramp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ontheramp
I am working on my ATP minimums. I own a Piper Cherokee, I am very motivated to finish up. I am located in South Florida and hope to get through the final 400 hrs in the next few months. Let me know, I'm very motivated. seizeking@gmail.com

I'm guessing he is looking for an appropriately rated person who needs to log some hours as well. Split the cost of flying, take turns flying under the hood and being safety pilot so you can both log PIC. And boom, you're racking hours up for like $35/hr

If you're interested in splitting some time with him?

Frankly, for a pilot who communicates like that, the answer is a "hell, no."

There are all kinds of trouble that can lead to, some of it serious.

A commercial pilot should be able to do a lot better.

Frankly, for a pilot who communicates like that, the answer is a "hell, no."

There are all kinds of trouble that can lead to, some of it serious.

A commercial pilot should be able to do a lot better.

It's not uncommon or illegal for 2 pilots to get a plane and share operating expenses. Safety pilots can even log PIC for the time the PF is under the hood assuming it was properly briefed that the safety pilot will be the acting PIC for that time. This is a common way that people build time, so I'm curious to know what you're hinting at here...

I am working on my ATP minimums. I own a Piper Cherokee, I am very motivated to finish up. I am located in South Florida and hope to get through the final 400 hrs in the next few months. Let me know, I'm very motivated. seizeking@gmail.com

Can't you just build that time at work like the rest of the CPLs working towards their ATP?

Most folks GET paid to build the hours for their ATP...

It's not uncommon or illegal for 2 pilots to get a plane and share operating expenses. Safety pilots can even log PIC for the time the PF is under the hood assuming it was properly briefed that the safety pilot will be the acting PIC for that time. This is a common way that people build time, so I'm curious to know what you're hinting at here...

No hinting. The pilot can't express himself. No legal trouble, but safety is a concern in this particular case. I certainly wouldn't want to be under the hood with a safety pilot who leaves out what he wants me to do. Read the first post. It has no request, and that he might be looking to share expenses is supposition.

Use the search button. There was a guy posting that he is looking to dry lease a plane for use in the Orlando area. He wants to spend a month or so flying the heck out of it to build hours for his commercial.

You two need to get together and fly the heck out of your plane.

Edit: Found the thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65011

Jim

Last edited:
Well, I am in South Florida and I give you my permission to fly those 400 hours in your Cherokee. Won't bother me. Is that what you are asking about?

Well, I am in South Florida and I give you my permission to fly those 400 hours in your Cherokee. Won't bother me. Is that what you are asking about?

He's out of TMB and it's a $40hr hood/safety arrangement.

Not bad really, I'll probably end up doing some hood time with him.

$40 an hour in a plane the burns that much in gas is not a bad deal. Yes, I understand that they are splitting the costs and sharing the time following the legal route that the FAA has allowed.

Look at it this way, how much is it for two people to wet rent a Cherokee from an FBO in his area? I think you would be hard pressed to find one for $80 an hour. As an aircraft owner, $80 is a generous, but realistic, rate to operate my plane for an hour.

$1,000 annual
$1,000 a year for insurance
$1,800 a year for my t-hangar (Yes, I have it good.)
$19-$9.50 an hour ($3,800 divided by ? hours a year. 200-400)

$ 10 an hour for engine overhaul fund ($20,000/2,000 hours, yes I can field overhaul it for under $10K if I don't need a crank or too many other parts.)
$ ? an hour for misc. aircraft maintenance ($750 for a DG, $300 for transponder maintenance, etc.)
$1 an hour for oil & filter costs

$40 for owner costs
$40 in fuel
$80 an hour is realistic

Jim

Last edited:
$40 an hour in a plane the burns that much in gas is not a bad deal. Yes, I understand that they are splitting the costs and sharing the time following the legal route that the FAA has allowed.

Look at it this way, how much is it for two people to wet rent a Cherokee from an FBO in his area? I think you would be hard pressed to find one for $80 an hour. As an aircraft owner, $80 is a generous, but realistic, rate to operate my plane for an hour.

$1,000 annual
$1,000 a year for insurance
$1,800 a year for my t-hanger (Yes, I have it good.)
$19-$9.50 an hour ($3,800 divided by ? hours a year. 200-400)

$ 10 an hour for engine overhaul fund ($20,000/2,000 hours, yes I can field overhaul it for under $10K if I don't need a crank or too many other parts.)
$ ? an hour for misc. aircraft maintenance ($750 for a DG, $300 for transponder maintenance, etc.)
$1 an hour for oil & filter costs

$40 for owner costs
$40 in fuel
$80 an hour is realistic

Jim

For a decent Cherokee or 172 around here the price is $109 an hour wet.

I completely agree, I apologize for not completing my thoughts. I can also see the internet bravado that comes with not posting names and information. I am trying to complete the hours that HR 5900 now requires for a regional position. I am also trying to do this as economical as possible and working a fulltime job, upwards of 70 hrs a week. I own the aircraft, I fly the aircraft and I do all of this in the safest manner possible. Again I apologize to internet watchdogs for my gross error.

$109 is the best rate in the area (Richards). It goes up from there. Seems like $120ish is average.

There's also a nice 530 equipped Warrior II for the same price right down the row that you can also take to the Bahamas.

I completely agree, I apologize for not completing my thoughts. I can also see the internet bravado that comes with not posting names and information. I am trying to complete the hours that HR 5900 now requires for a regional position. I am also trying to do this as economical as possible and working a fulltime job, upwards of 70 hrs a week. I own the aircraft, I fly the aircraft and I do all of this in the safest manner possible. Again I apologize to internet watchdogs for my gross error.
Way to take the high road. :rolleyes:

There's also a nice 530 equipped Warrior II for the same price right down the row that you can also take to the Bahamas.

Really? Who owns that one? I looked at Richards planes and it seemed like a couple of 172s and a multi-engine in the hangar. Maybe I missed one.

Really? Who owns that one? I looked at Richards planes and it seemed like a couple of 172s and a multi-engine in the hangar. Maybe I missed one.

Not one of Richard's, this one lives in a Hangar opposite and about half way down from Richard's hangar.

Anonymous bravado, LOL. Hey, you want my name and number, just PM me. Protip - it helps to have a thick skin if you are going to post on the internet. That said, if I needed time, I would be happy to split the $80 with you. That is a very reasonable price. I rent the club 172 for about that and there is a decent 172 at an FBO for $100. Same FBO has a 162 for $95 wet.

Anonymous bravado, LOL. Hey, you want my name and number, just PM me. Protip - it helps to have a thick skin if you are going to post on the internet. That said, if I needed time, I would be happy to split the $80 with you. That is a very reasonable price. I rent the club 172 for about that and there is a decent 172 at an FBO for $100. Same FBO has a 162 for $95 wet.
Cool...you are among the few not hiding behind the screen...I like that. I'm just trying to get through this, I don't have the interest in bothering anyone. Ain't nobody got time for that! Happy flying!!!

Cool...you are among the few not hiding behind the screen...I like that. I'm just trying to get through this, I don't have the interest in bothering anyone. Ain't nobody got time for that! Happy flying!!!

I'm still curious why you are buying these 400hrs for the ATP?

A working pilot should do that in 6mo or so and get paid to do it.

Also not having working industry experience ain't going to look good when you're sitting next to another applicant with a ATP who has built all his hours post CPL WORKING in the industry.

YMMV

I'm still curious why you are buying these 400hrs for the ATP?

A working pilot should do that in 6mo or so and get paid to do it.

Also not having working industry experience ain't going to look good when you're sitting next to another applicant with a ATP who has built all his hours post CPL WORKING in the industry.

YMMV

He owns the plane, he has a real job that pays real money and can afford to fly on his own dime while eating real food and living in a real apartment, lol. The time building jobs around here don't provide that.

Not one of Richard's, this one lives in a Hangar opposite and about half way down from Richard's hangar.

Uhh, he's trying to meet mins for a REGIONAL airline job dude, seems like he wants to work for peanuts.

FYI there are jobs flying pt 91, 137, etc that pay rather well

I fly for a living, even before my ATP I was more then able to eat out most nights, have my own plane and a nice car.

Like I said, building all your hours for that job getting $100 burgers ain't going to look good.

They want professional pilots not wannabes, heck go fly pipeline, or 105 ops, or banner or Corp 91 or whatever, it defeats the spirit of the 1500hr requirement for the ATP by not having any WORKING experience.

Bulding hours like this for a CPL is one thing, ATP not so much.

This kinda sounds like something some of these Indian kids were trying to do back when I was in flight school, you wouldn't happen to be Indian would ya?

He owns the plane, he has a real job that pays real money and can afford to fly on his own dime while eating real food and living in a real apartment, lol. The time building jobs around here don't provide that.

^^^Zactly!^^^

I'm seriously considering a job that will "require" me to buy a faster plane to fly home in on the weekends. If I keep my slow mobile I could rack up 10-12 hours a week, 300-500 a year, without trying too hard. A couple of years of that and I could have enough for my ATP. :rofl: I'm too old to make a switch to the airlines without being independently wealthy. If only I had started this 20 years ago. Oh, wait, I was broke back then.

Jim

Uhh, he's trying to meet mins for a REGIONAL airline job dude, seems like he wants to work for peanuts.

I fly for a living, even before my ATP I was more then able to eat out most nights, have my own plane and a nice car.

Like I said, building all your hours for that job getting $100 burgers ain't going to look good.

They want professional pilots not wannabes, heck go fly pipeline, or 105 ops, or banner or Corp 91 or whatever, it defeats the spirit of the 1500hr requirement for the ATP by not having any WORKING experience.

This kinda sounds like something some of these Indian kids were trying to do back when I was in flight school, you wouldn't happen to be Indian would ya?

Lol, yep, but I guess he wants to be an airline pilot. The banner guys down here don't pay squat and you don't build time very quickly, and the pipeline jobs don't exist. What's a 105 op?

What I see of regional hiring is the only advantage to having been a working pilot is if it's ME time.

...it defeats the spirit of the 1500hr requirement for the ATP by not having any WORKING experience...
The SPIRIT of the 1500 hour requirement was for congress to "feel" like they had "done something". It is a pointless, useless requirement that would have made no difference.

Done correctly, building time like this could be just as valid as "paid" experience. Local, one hour hops? Not terribly useful. Serious cross country time with multi hour legs? Lots of night? Lots of instrument time? That SHOULD help.

On the other hand, showing up with 1500 hours of Cherokee time is not going to get you into the right seat.

Just MHO.

Jim

Last edited:
Henning is real familiar with ops in S Florida. I don't see folks down here building time with pipeline or banner. You make do with what you can.

I didn't know I was going to spark such a conversation. I am diligently working toward that 1500hr goal. I currently have a career that I will be leaving for the airlines as the opportunity arises. I chose this path to fulfill my goals, I didn't go the CFI (even though I have mine) and I didn't banner tow. I chose to purchase and fly as much as possible while maintaining my current career. I fly long legs, night and a lot of actual and simulated instrument as a safety pilot. I see nothing really wrong with any of these, I simulate to the best of my abilities the real world flying of the airlines....my ultimate goal. I'm sticking with it since in the recent months I have had a variety of conformations that others doing the same HAVE BEEN HIRED at a variety of regionals. Carry on with your conversation....:yes:

Back