Time zone issue

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Weird problem

Just a few minutes ago I hit the new post link like I usually do and got this error message

This forum requires that you wait 3 seconds between searches. Please try again in 3571 seconds.

Tried hitting new posts again and got the same sort of message. I have not seen anything like this since Jesse took over the servers.

Posts out of order

It is likely that you might see some posts out of order. There was a timezone issue that I fixed--I have yet to identify the root cause.

Re: Weird problem

Got it again just after posting
This forum requires that you wait 3 seconds between searches. Please try again in 3486 seconds.

Started happening soon after Jesse got chat up and running again. I am not sure that there is any causation, just noting it.

Me too!! you've got me beat on the wait however.

Attachments

• search time.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Troubleshooting the problem......Server lost power (for an instant) and came back up under a different timezone...

What time is it?

I just tried the "New Posts button and it says I have to wait 2442 seconds, then I backed up a thread and it looks like there are some posts below mine that were there when I wrote the response, but are actually written in the future according to the post time.

At least you don't have wait a full hour..as in 3600 seconds. :rofl:

At least you don't have wait a full hour..as in 3600 seconds. :rofl:
I think that we do.

When Jesse reset the timezone problem something got fouled up with the new search delay timer and it is now counting down from 3600 seconds.

My first attempt at new posts was something like 3583 and it happened right after Jesse reset the timezone.

The primary PoA server lost power and came back up under a different timezone. I corrected this but now there are entries in the database that are in the future which is messing with the applications logic.

I'm moving all the threads related to this here..

The primary PoA server lost power and came back up under a different timezone. I corrected this but now there are entries in the database that are in the future which is messing with the applications logic.

BTW I did try logging off and back on to see if I could clear this problem but it did not work. Since I have no clue as to what the architecture is like on this software it was just a shot in the dark.

So basically, at the top of the hour, everything should be back to good.

I have a post up last in the thread because I posted it 25 minutes from now. :D

I've looked at the database some--and honestly--we would be better off just to let the time run out. Let me know if there are any more problems in 20 minutes.

I'm more concerned about trying to figure out how the time jumped a hour then invest any more time in fixing something that'll fix itself in 20 minutes.

Heck, it's better than what I got on the BankOfAmerica site last night. (Typed from memory)
Welcome, Grant Prellwitz!
You last logged in Wednesday, December 3 at 12:38 AM EST.
It is now Tuesday, December 2.

I've looked at the database some--and honestly--we would be better off just to let the time run out. Let me know if there are any more problems in 20 minutes.

I'm more concerned about trying to figure out how the time jumped a hour then invest any more time in fixing something that'll fix itself in 20 minutes.

Don't sweat it. We'll just have a few out of order posts.

We will survive that. :p

Works now, a few posts out of order, no big deal.

"A dollar tomorrow for a hamburger today"
wimpy-slogan.jpg

-harry

For those that are curious—there was a power failure in the data center, which houses the primary Pilots of America server. At approximately 11:45 am CST yesterday all power was lost during a failed attempt to transfer from utility power to generator power. The transfer was necessary to accommodate scheduled maintenance.

The facility is equipped like most data centers. There are backup generators on-site along with a large UPS system. The UPS system provides temporary power if there is a loss in utility power. The diesel generators then automatically start and provide power to the UPS system until utility power is restored.

The above system didn’t work properly yesterday. The server was only offline for a couple of minutes and was then brought back online. The outage was so short that my monitoring systems didn’t alert me that the server was offline. Almost all the services on the server manually start themselves with the exception of our Livechat system.

I was informed yesterday afternoon that the LiveChat system was off-line. I started troubleshooting and fixed the chat system. I then noticed that the server was in the correct time zone (CST) but was set to EST time. For those that are familiar, it is setup to synchronize time via ntp. The problem was that the power outage caused such a dramatic change in time (1 hour) that the ntp system didn’t correct the time for fear that it was receiving incorrect information. I corrected the time manually and knew there would be problems.

The vBulletin application is fairly complicated and is of course database driven. Almost every action on this website that you do is inserted into the database with a time stamp. Once I rolled time back by one hour there were users that had actions in the future. This really screws with the applications logic.

I started digging through the Pilots of America database with the intention of fixing the new posts problem. The database is fairly difficult to interpret sometimes and eventually I decided that it was safer to just let people wait the 20 minutes before they could click new posts.
The other problem was that vBulletin sorts posts by time. This caused a small number of posts to get out of order in threads. It would make more sense if they sorted posts by the post id—but that would make too much sense. :)

All services are restored. No data was loss. A few posts got out of order and Scott couldn’t click ‘New Posts’ for 20 minutes. Overall, not that big of an event.

Scott couldn’t click ‘New Posts’ for 20 minutes. Overall, not that big of an event.
3600 seconds (60 minutes) to be exact. Hard to believe, but I did survive.

Jesse thanks for staying on top of this stuff. Since you have taken over server oversight things have really been running smoothly. I am not try to diss those that had been running it, only that much of the server was inaccessible to them and we were at the mercy of the server provider.

Jesse, shouldn't the system get the time at boot from the CMOS clock?
Was the TZ set wrong, or maybe the CMOS clock?

Jesse, shouldn't the system get the time at boot from the CMOS clock?
Was the TZ set wrong, or maybe the CMOS clock?
Both were set correctly. I have no idea how it jumped a hour. Still trying to figure out how that was possible.

The other major thread... said:
Now, does anybody know of a Bahamas vacation package deal for six people including air fare (from six different locations around the US) plus hotel and meals (and, of course, full bar -- we're big-time directors, after all) for $75 each?
I know why the time jump happened.

The servers want to relocate to the Bahamas too - and were just getting their swimming time zones on. ;)

I know why the time jump happened.

The servers want to relocate to the Bahamas too - and were just getting their swimming time zones on. ;)
See--there is always a logical reason.

Back