Time to spare, go by air... (LONNNGGGG)

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Well, my nice neat plans to go to Oshkosh were sent into disarray several weeks ago when my younger son wanted to attend a gaming tournament in Chicago from Friday to Sunday just before Oshkosh starts on Monday. The plan was to send my younger son and wife to Chicago via airline and my older son and I would take the 195 and all the camping gear to Dubuque. I would leave the camping gear at Dubuque and fly my older son and me to Chicago to pick up the other son and wife. My younger son is to stay with friends in Dubuque while the rest of us go to Oshkosh. That is the setup.

Friday morning dawns with thunderstorms in the air. No big deal as far as the airlines go, but not so hot for me. I have to take my wife and son to the airport for a 6:00 AM flight. That means getting up at 4 to get there in time. Well turns out the flight was full and no room for standbys. (Another airline employee benefit that isn't worth a crap) The rest of the day was worse, so it was decided to go ahead and buy tickets for them on Southwest. (I hate Southwest :D ) Finally got them off so I went back home and started researching the weather for my trip.

At about 10:30 AM it looked like the weather was going to break enough to get off, so off to the airport I went. One last check of the weather and I pull out the airplane, load us up, and go to start the airplane and the battery was dead. Or near dead. Crap. The battery is behind the baggage compartment and all the camping stuff has to come out. Not to mention, my jumper cables are at home a half hour away. I decided to just buy another set at Wal-Mart that was 10 minutes away. Got the airplane started, packed up and taxied out to do my runup. Taxiing away from the runup, the left main wheel drops into a small depression and won't budge. Shut down the engine, get the tractor out, and the grass was too wet to allow traction for the tractor. An aquaintance happened by, went and got a shovel, and we dug out. Got the airplane unstuck, got in, and guess what? Not enough charge in the battery to start it again. So out comes all the baggage again. :mad:

Finally on the way. Skirting the trailing edge of the weather all the way to Dubuque. We got about 25 or 30 miles northeast of Cedar Rapids and ran into a wall of clouds. So back to Cedar Rapids to wait it out. About an hour later, the weather moves out and off we go for the 40 minute flight to Dubuque.

Arrived in Dubuque without any further problems. The T-28 and T-6 crowd had gathered there to stage for Oshkosh. I have never seen so many in one place ever.

Well, it was decided that the weather had improved enough for me to head out to Dupage, which was my final destination. Loaded up, Master on, Starter engaged, not enough juice to spin the prop. Out comes the battery to the charger. 20 minutes later, we were off again. We got to Du Page at about 8:40 PM, just as it was getting dark.

A trip that should have taken about 5 hours had taken all day. With the weather and all, a little patience goes a long way. I could have decided that I needed to "Be there" and pressed on. Someone said that I was "brave" for doing the trip VFR. I said that I may be brave, but I am not stupid. I always had an out and I ended up using one.

Anyway, I was glad to get to Du Page. I had had enough of yesterday. :yes:

Greg Bockelman said:
A trip that should have taken about 5 hours had taken all day. With the weather and all, a little patience goes a long way. I could have decided that I needed to "Be there" and pressed on. Someone said that I was "brave" for doing the trip VFR. I said that I may be brave, but I am not stupid. I always had an out and I ended up using one.

Anyway, I was glad to get to Du Page. I had had enough of yesterday. :yes:

Ya just gotta love days like that.

bbchien said:
Greg, you need to keep your battery on a desulfator.

Probably so.

It is less than 6 months old. And at this point, I am not sure of the integrity of the charging system. It shows a good charge just after startup, but during cruise it does not show much more than 12 volts. I always thought it should show 13 to 14 volts.

Maybe it is time to invest in an alternator conversion.

If the voltmeter is showing only 12 volts, the battery is NOT charging.
If you inititally get a good charge rate immediately after starting, the alternator is probably working ok, but it sounds like you have corroded plate(s) in the battery and IT needs to be replaced. It could also mean that you have loose interplate connectors in the battery that tend to separate as it accepts charge and heats up -- again, replace the battery.
FWIW

And if there is any doubt, ANY local garage (Firestone, Sears, Kmart, Walmart, Joe's corner garage) can put the battery on a carbon pile tester to see if the symptoms re-occur.

OTOH, you did say that the system voltage = 12 (partially discharged and stressed battery. Unstressed and fully charged = 12.6) That would indicate a bad ACU -- but a bad ACU shouldn't allow a good initial charge rate (alternator voltage should be 14 +/- .5)

Last edited:
oh man greg! what time were you in cedar rapids? I was there until about 2 pm on friday. Diana was stuck in Kirksville MO most of the day due to the same weather and she was about ready to leave there as i was leaving Cedar Rapids. Glad you made it anyway. If you are coming back during the week, stop by in CR and say hello.

SteveW said:
If the voltmeter is showing only 12 volts, the battery is NOT charging.
If you inititally get a good charge rate immediately after starting, the alternator is probably working ok, but it sounds like you have corroded plate(s) in the battery and IT needs to be replaced. It could also mean that you have loose interplate connectors in the battery that tend to separate as it accepts charge and heats up -- again, replace the battery.

I doubt that the problem is the battery. If the alternator was belt driven, I'd look for a slipping belt but I think Greg's alternator is gear driven. That leaves something wrong with the drive coupling (unlikely) or a heat related problem with the alternator or battery. The simplest way to separate the two is to jumper the alternator field so it's getting full battery voltage and watch the voltage after running a while. Be careful not to crank up the RPM or you will get high voltage on the bus. If the alternator holds the voltage up above 13.5 for a long while, your regulator is faulty (or there's something wrong with the wiring).

bbchien said:
He's got a generator, Lance. No field coil.

Yup, Generator. I will be spending most of the week with a bunch of people that should be able to help me sort it out. In the mean time, I am starting out tomorrow with a fully charged battery and we will see where it goes from there.

tonycondon said:
oh man greg! what time were you in cedar rapids? I was there until about 2 pm on friday. Diana was stuck in Kirksville MO most of the day due to the same weather and she was about ready to leave there as i was leaving Cedar Rapids. Glad you made it anyway. If you are coming back during the week, stop by in CR and say hello.

I was there after 2. I will be coming back by on Thursday, I think. Stopping in Dubuque for gas and to pick up some stuff, maybe. My son will be spending the week there. I don't think I will be dropping in on CID unless I need gas. But hopefully I won't be so loaded up that I have to stop every hour for gas. :D

Greg Bockelman said:
Yup, Generator. I will be spending most of the week with a bunch of people that should be able to help me sort it out. In the mean time, I am starting out tomorrow with a fully charged battery and we will see where it goes from there.

Make sure you have an accurate voltmeter that you can read in flight. If the voltage drops below 13 start shedding loads. If it goes down to 12, you've got almost nothing left.

bbchien said:
He's got a generator, Lance. No field coil.

Gen's have field coils too. The biggest difference is that the output (armature) is routed through the regulator since the current must be sensed/controlled and a generator must be disconnected if the RPM is too low or it will act like a motor and drain the battery.

Doh! Thanks. I of course am thinkng of a modern design, ultralight with permanent mags on the rotor, no commutator....even they have a field coil...

Ok greg, well if you feel the urge, stop by CID or Marion Airport and say hello.

Back