Time since last overhaul

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by Blueangel, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Blueangel

Blueangel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    So I am looking at a nice Bonanza that had engine last overhauled 15 years ago. Should I be concerned if it checks out?

2. tawood

tawood Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    Not enough info...Hours? Climate? Hangar?

3. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    If you're planning to use it commercially? Absolutely. As a private? Condition is more important than age.

4. cowman

cowman En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    The only reason age of the overhaul should matter is if it was sitting for all that time... and even then it may start up and run just fine till TBO. The issue is if internal parts... mainly the cam/crank bearings but also other things have rusted and pitted? That can happen in a couple months in the wrong conditions or not happen for years in the right conditions.

If the airplane was flown often enough the parts would have been re-coated in oil and any moisture boiled off each flight. That's probably the only thing you can really use as an indicator... whether or not it was flown continually.

My airplane, an Archer II, has an engine rebuilt in 2001. When I bought it, it had been sitting for almost a year. My only issue in some 250-ish hours and 3 years in it has been a magneto failure on the ground. Good compression, normal oil consumption, good power. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another in the same condition and fly it based on my experience. I'm not afraid to take my airplane anywhere I'd feel safe taking a brand new one either.

Cliff notes: Age of overhaul isn't a huge deal, just check the overall condition/compressions/etc and don't worry too much about it.

Blueangel likes this.
  5. Blueangel

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    Sorry more info

tSMOH 889
    TT 4400
    Hangar Midwest plane

6. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    It wouldn't bother me.....but, I'd want to make sure it didn't sit for the last few years.

7. mondtster

mondtster En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    mondtster
    I wouldn't be terribly concerned on a Continental, they seem to tolerate sitting better than the Lycomings do.

Steven Untet likes this.
  8. simtech

simtech En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    Average of almost 60 hours a year, that's not that bad at all..How many hours does it have in the past year? Would I be concerned, personally, no as long as it checks good and at least borescope them cylinders.

9. Blueangel

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    I'll check the logs and get a prebuy done on it with a Beechcraft shop. I like that it has the bigger IO-550 engine as most Debbie's have smaller 225HP IO-470 engine so cruising 160-170 kts would make it a great cross country ship for me on the west coast. I'd like to fly fish in Idaho summers.