Time in Forums

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Diana's asking questions around the red zone about how long folks have been participating in aviation forums (fora?), and the AOPA-related bunch in particular. She is working on the nuevo Gaston's fly-in page.

Me? Basically participating since late 2002-ish, IIRC.

SCCutler said:
Diana's asking questions around the red zone about how long folks have been participating in aviation forums (fora?), and the AOPA-related bunch in particular. She is working on the nuevo Gaston's fly-in page.

If you count Usenet/Arpanet, long time.

SCCutler said:

AOPA was the first forum I logged onto. That was springish, 1997.

AOPA since oh, mid 2002 maybe?

Computer based discussion groups? Since 1985 or so. Too many varieties to list. Ran my first computer bulletin board in oh, 1986 I think... on an Atari.

Aviation forums...about a year.

I started at AOPA and then came over here....... Been on forums about 2 years now.

1999 for me(specifically referencing AOPA), way up heah in the Northeast. So far, I've met CarolT, Dr. Bruce, Andrew Stanley, Jim Pappas and Mrs. Pappas, Warren McIlvoy, and the late John Lawrence. We had a BABES regional meeting in Massachusetts several years back; some were probably AOPA members in addition to BABES, but I can only remember screen names at the moment. Photo #1 from that meeting: Andrew Stanley is "Impy;" Jim Pappas is the tall guy; "Razor" (Carolyn) came in from Michigan(I think). "19881"(Rachel) lives on Islesboro, Maine and knows John Travolta. "Workman" (Ron) is from Noo Hampster. There ya go, Andrew -- edited. It's true: Pilots are the nicest people.

HR

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
1999 for me(specifically referencing AOPA), way up heah in the Northeast. So far, I've met CarolT, Dr. Bruce, Warren McIlvoy, and the late John Lawrence. It's true: Pilots are the nicest people.

HR

Hey Harley, whattami, chopped liver? ;)

Hope all is well Jerry.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I guess I started on the AOPA board around 2002-2003. Couple of years now.

Jim G

astanley said:
Hey Harley, whattami, chopped liver? ;)

Hope all is well Jerry.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Whoops! Need to go back and edit(and see if I can remember all who were at the meeting in Massachusetts).

:dunno:

Aviation related - AOPA in '99 or '00; this board on it's inception (birthday)?

Others - I participated in newsgroups and bboards with 300 baud dial up on DOS and then really hit the big time with TIN and PINE on Unix and 1200 baud dialups. How soon we forget where we came from when we complain about the access times when the cable, DSL or other broadband connections "slow down"

SCCutler said:

I found the AOPA forums in September, 2001.

AOPA/POA forums: April, 2004

Netizen in general (USENET, etc.) since 1989...

Back