Time for an Eng. Overhaul?

It cost me around $9,500 to overhaul an 0-235 which would be very similar in price to an O-320/360. That is sending everything out to be inspected and returned to service. I can't figure out how people get 25k overhauls unless they are replacing things just for the heck of it.

It cost me around $9,500 to overhaul an 0-235 which would be very similar in price to an O-320/360. That is sending everything out to be inspected and returned to service. I can't figure out how people get 25k overhauls unless they are replacing things just for the heck of it.

Because people are talking apples and oranges.
An IO-360 A3B6 is $25900 from the same shop that quotes $17500 for O-235. Angle valve cylinders and fuel injection ups the price. Turbo would be even more. Price includes overhauling fuel system, ignition system (new plugs and harness), starter....and R&R included.
The devil in the details, I would like know exactly what you are getting for $9500.

Because people are talking apples and oranges.
An IO-360 A3B6 is $25900 from the same shop that quotes $17500 for O-235. Angle valve cylinders and fuel injection ups the price. Turbo would be even more. Price includes overhauling fuel system, ignition system (new plugs and harness), starter....and R&R included.
The devil in the details, I would like know exactly what you are getting for $9500.

New cylinders and everything else sent out for inspection and returned with yellow tags, gasket set. No fuel system or mag work.

There are a couple things most folks forget when pricing an engine overhaul.
Some shops insist on new accessories, thus the price goes up.
Some engines the main items won't pass inspection they are worn beyond limits, so the price goes up.
Shops that set a price for the overhaul, know the average costs and fix their price accordingly.

For those interested, I was quoted:

1) Repair of the cam shaft: $12,500. Does not include if they find anything worn when they split the case

2) Engine Overhaul cheapest $27,800, highest $31,500

3) Option I'm probably going with: $35,257 for a Lycoming IO-360 Factory Rebuild (2,200TBO). Down side is the wait is 10 weeks just for the engine to arrive

The engine was overhauled 1400 hours ago, but has over 5,000 hours on the actual engine.

For those interested, I was quoted:

1) Repair of the cam shaft: $12,500. Does not include if they find anything worn when they split the case

2) Engine Overhaul cheapest $27,800, highest $31,500

3) Option I'm probably going with: $35,257 for a Lycoming IO-360 Factory Rebuild (2,200TBO). Down side is the wait is 10 weeks just for the engine to arrive

The engine was overhauled 1400 hours ago, but has over 5,000 hours on the actual engine.

So this would be the 3rd overhaul? I’d probably go with #3 as well.

So this would be the 3rd overhaul? I’d probably go with #3 as well.

For the $10,000 spread between field overhaul and reman you can replace a couple of parts. What does the work order from the last overhaul say about the size of the crank and the height of the case-halves ?

That being said, when we had a 7000hr twice overhauled engine with some internal STCs from a now bankrupt shop, we decided on a factory reman. Also cut down on the timeframe for the swqp. The engine sat in a crate when the plane came into the shop for the annual.

Back