Timberon, NM (52NM)

Frogs97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frogs97
My grandparents had a place there when I was growing up, and we just absolutely loved going to visit. My grandmother had been trying to sell it for some time now, to no avail. She passed away a few weeks ago, and now it is a problem of the estate. As badly as I wanted to help take it off her hands, it was just too far from Fort Worth to justify doing it. I used to dream about flying into the strip up there, and now that I'm working on my own license with plans for my own plane, it could be feasible to buy it from the estate in the hopes of someday being able to fly up there.

It's about 4900' long and a 7000' elevation. Does that sound like something a NA 182 at gross could/should handle or is a turbo a necessity under those conditions? Does anyone have any experience flying in there and/or have any advice?

Thank you much!

My grandparents had a place there when I was growing up, and we just absolutely loved going to visit. My grandmother had been trying to sell it for some time now, to no avail. She passed away a few weeks ago, and now it is a problem of the estate. As badly as I wanted to help take it off her hands, it was just too far from Fort Worth to justify doing it. I used to dream about flying into the strip up there, and now that I'm working on my own license with plans for my own plane, it could be feasible to buy it from the estate in the hopes of someday being able to fly up there.

It's about 4900' long and a 7000' elevation. Does that sound like something a NA 182 at gross could/should handle or is a turbo a necessity under those conditions? Does anyone have any experience flying in there and/or have any advice?

Thank you much!

I don't know what a NA 182 is, but a stock 182 (especially the early ones) will haul lead bricks to heaven if you ask it to. It may be a little dicey on a very warm afternoon, but absent serious heat you should be just fine.

Jim

Small world, my wife's grandfather had/has a cabin in timberon. And I'm in fw.

Turbo is nice and makes life easier. It might be doable in an NA C-182 but very little room for error. Density altitudes will be over 9500 in summer. Check the POH for take off and landing distances. Plan on departing in the mornings as soon as you can see light, or earlier. I haven't been to Timberon, I usually fly in and around Albuquerque and northwest New Mexico. I fly a turbo charged twin and on hot days at max gross take off weight I sometimes get a pretty slow climb out.

I flew a NA C-210 out of Gallup a few times. Airport elevation is 6500 ft. Really slow climb out and have to watch the cylinder temperatures. But that area is fairly flat for mountainous terrain.

I don't know what a NA 182 is, but a stock 182 (especially the early ones) will haul lead bricks to heaven if you ask it to. It may be a little dicey on a very warm afternoon, but absent serious heat you should be just fine.

Jim

NA.... Naturaly Asperated, non turbocharged

I have plenty of time flying an NA 182 in and out of 0NM7 (Negrito, NM), which sits at 8100 MSL and has a 7500 foot runway. It did just fine if normal precautions were taken with respect to density altitude and performance planning. That being said, I'm not familiar with any obstructions that exist around the strip in Timberon, so I would need a little more info to give a certain answer, but given the limited info I have I am fairly certain a 182 could handle it given proper planning.

As a side note: I'm going to miss flying in NM-it really is some of the best in the country with plenty of challenges to keep it interesting. I took a new flying job in flat Tulsa, OK and will be re-locating in another week.:( You know what they say...money talks.

Last edited:
Then simply say it, non aspirated (note the spelling) and don't make us guess.

Thanks,

Jim

I would argue that NA is a fairly common and accepted acronym. Just because one doesn't know it doesn't mean it's time to raise a storm.

Like all high altitude takeoffs, you better lean for takeoff. Sometimes people from lower elevations don't know that.

I've taken a DA-20 and a C-210 into that strip. PM me if you have any questions.

I know what naturally aspirated means but what does "non aspirated" mean?

Back