Tight Pattern Video

Re: Tight Patter Video

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In a world where most aviation-related video articles and tutorials are awkward, rambling, and scrupulously inoffensive, these Paul B. things are a breath of fresh air.

And it's all so true- the "45-degree thing", for example, works so reliably in most cases that it's almost scary. When I was told about that, i felt like I'd been endowed with super-powers. :D I'm lucky that all my primary instructors were big on that: "look over you shoulder... look...wait for it... OK, what's the angle now... look again... etc".

The only thing missing in this little tute is a word on what is, IMHO,probably the leading cause of wide downwinds (at least when doing pattern work, not when arriving from somewhere else): the overly-long crosswind after takeoff. Two common causes seem to be: worrying too much about nailing TPA as one turns downwind, rather than nailing the spacing, and not taking the appropriate crosswind heading while climbing to the downwind turn point, then wasting time and distance trying to fix that, instead of just making sure you nail the parallel spacing as you get onto the downwind leg.

These used to be habits of mine, until I started focusing on turning crosswind no higher than 300 feet below TPA and looking downwind, as I climb on crosswind, to make sure I turn at the correct distance from the runway whether I have reached TPA or not (eventually I was able to be high enough fairly consistently). If you're a hair low at that point, a little more climbing as you turn downwind will fix that. It's real easy to avoid rising up into the pattern at midfield or some other undesired point.

As far as the xwind turn goes, as you take off, if you don't already know what you'll aim for visually when you turn xwind, you need to look for something. (which is also the key to turning downwind at the best spot). You have to think about the next leg, always: "when should I turn to maintain the best spacing on the next leg?"
If the initial xwind heading is no good, forget the damn DG or compass (and for God's sake, put the "pattern whiz wheel" away!) and just look at what you're doing... forget making a perfect, 90 angle, straight-leg crosswind, and make sure you just roll out downwind at the appropriate distance from the runway. Repeat for base and final.

I haven't made a power landing in a long time, but flying a glider has really driven home the importance thinking ahead and using visual cues to maintain the most efficient spacing, regardless of wind... these little "tricks" come even more vividly to life when you have one shot to make a good landing from any given approach. :D

Last edited:

Why do I picture Ron as angry Hitler right about now?

hahahaha! Love the ever-expanding epaulettes! Might have to fire up my old avatar.

I liked the legal disclaimers too :)...reminds me of Monty Python...

OK, Dave, what is your current Avatar?? Can't figure it out...

Think real airplane engines, Jeanie.......ones that are round and don't whine. :D

I liked the legal disclaimers too :)...reminds me of Monty Python...

OK, Dave, what is your current Avatar?? Can't figure it out...

Why would Ron be angry?

Because this video advocates the idea that power is not necessarily the best way to control glidepath.

I happen to be half way between Ron and the video guy's opinion.

My approach: Do what you have to do to get the plane on the runway. If that means power, use it. If that means power off, do that. If that means sticking your arm out the window, do that.

I always come in high. Makes getting it spot on a bit trickier, but I think I've said before that your engine only has to konck out once for you to die. If I have to add power anytime after I turn base I get pretty mad at myself.

<snip>

I haven't made a power landing in a long time, but flying a glider has really driven home the importance thinking ahead and using visual cues to maintain the most efficient spacing, regardless of wind... these little "tricks" come even more vividly to life when you have one shot to make a good landing from any given approach. :D

since I was practicing this a lot in power is probably one of the reasons I was able to solo the glider in only 5 flights.

Brian

I like my patterns like I like my women.

heh

Hmmmmmm.... At 17, I suppose one has alot more experience with patterns than women, but who knows about that stuff these days..I have 2 daughters, so keep your hands to yourself!:nono:

Best thing is that you fly a 172N....you're redeemed!:yesnod:

Guys, guys. I was talking about left handed women, what were YOU talking about? hmmm?

:skeptical:

kids these days...

I like my women like I like my mixture, rich and lean, and not in between.

What can we expect from a thread titled "Tight Pattern" Video sounds absolutely ummmm....oh boy

So, how do you like YOUR patterns? Huh?

[Devil's advocate]

Perhaps most flight instructors teach tight patterns (all mine have), but as a pilot becomes further removed from the artificial constraints of training, he tends to fly an ever- wider pattern (more time), increase the final speed, and uses up more runway.

[/end]

That said, I was once in the pattern at an airfield that was home base for a now-defunct flight training program.

We flew a pattern so large to fit into the flow that it was easy to lose sight of the runway.

:eek:

Had some fun last night...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I decided to try some truly tight patterns at my home base of KWAY (see Google Earth in Terrain mode and you'll see the nice hill immediately south of the airfield: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...896172,-80.132217&spn=0.0134,0.04931&t=p&z=15)

It took an immediate 180 after reaching about 200' AGL off the end of the runway to stay inside the hill (on the north side). It was warm last night -- 70 F -- and performance of the 65-LA was a bit, shall we say, lacking. :redface:

Downwind was over route 21, with a tight slipping left turn to make it to the grass (pulled the slip out about 50' AGL).

That sure was fun. :yesnod:
[/FONT]

Had some fun last night...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I decided to try some truly tight patterns at my home base of KWAY (see Google Earth in Terrain mode and you'll see the nice hill immediately south of the airfield: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...896172,-80.132217&spn=0.0134,0.04931&t=p&z=15)

It took an immediate 180 after reaching about 200' AGL off the end of the runway to stay inside the hill (on the north side). It was warm last night -- 70 F -- and performance of the 65-LA was a bit, shall we say, lacking. :redface:

Downwind was over route 21, with a tight slipping left turn to make it to the grass (pulled the slip out about 50' AGL).

That sure was fun. :yesnod:
[/FONT]
I once asked the tower if it would be ok for me to do tight patterns, they happily approved it. About 10 minutes later some dope got on tower frequency and asked the tower what I was doing. The tower controller was less than pleased with the guy.

I guess the guy wasn't used to whatever portion of the pattern I was on being over his hangar. *******.

I once asked the tower if it would be ok for me to do tight patterns, they happily approved it. About 10 minutes later some dope got on tower frequency and asked the tower what I was doing. The tower controller was less than pleased with the guy.

I guess the guy wasn't used to whatever portion of the pattern I was on being over his hangar. *******.

One day I thought I'd try flying an overhead approach in the Porterfield at a private strip near my home airport. As is typical for this airport there were no other airplanes in the air or on the runway but apparently one of the locals decided my lack of a "normal" pattern was too unnerving and he decided I needed a good chewing out when he came across me washing the plane the next week. Some folks just can't any deviations from what they believe to be SOP.

Because this video advocates the idea that power is not necessarily the best way to control glidepath.

I happen to be half way between Ron and the video guy's opinion.

My approach: Do what you have to do to get the plane on the runway. If that means power, use it. If that means power off, do that. If that means sticking your arm out the window, do that.

I've flown with Paul in his Mooney and at least in that airplane he carried some power on base and final. I don't thing he's advocating chopping all power abeam the numbers but rather suggesting that a shallow approach angle like 3 degrees (or less) isn't necessary and flying a more reasonable 4-5 degree approach is better. Typically that doesn't mean no power, just less power i.e. not "dragging it in".

I'm waiting to hear from a Wal mart customer about "that crazy guy flying low..."

Of course the airport was there, long, long before they built a Wal mart on top of the hill.

:skeptical:

Back