Tiger vs Cessna panel, which do you like?

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I happen to have panel pictures of two modern light GA aircraft. Thought it would be interesting to get ya'lls thoughts on which you like best, just for fun. I think both are attractive and well organized. I don't know whether I like the dual Garmins or King KLN94/KMD550 combo best. I really, really like the KMD 550. I do not particularly like the digital tach on the Tiger, but think it's engine and systems instrumentation is much easier to use.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask it: Why do all the Grumman/American airplanes I see have the words "NO HOLD" posted on the dash?

Without even looking at the pictures, I would definitely opt for dual Garmins. You'll understand why as you begin your instrument training. Garmin . . . yum, yum!

HuskerMedic said:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask it: Why do all the Grumman/American airplanes I see have the words "NO HOLD" posted on the dash?

Don't pull on the dash, is what that sign means.

HuskerMedic said:
The Grummans have the sliding canopy. It's easy to look at that dashboard as a handhold for in/out assistance but the structure isn't designed to support someone.

I would pick the Tiger panel for several reasons but off the top of my head:
- Two of the same nav/com box to learn instead of two/three different avionics boxes to learn.
- All the important avionics are in the center stack and I don't have to look/reach farther to the left.
- I know where all the switches are in a Tiger without looking (well, maybe I'd have to look a little the first time back in one).

That said...I DO NO LIKE the throttle quadrant that on the 90's and newer Tigers. The push/pull controls from the 70's era Grumman aircraft are much more comfortable, easier to fine tune throttle setting and fall more easily to the hand.

Len

HuskerMedic said:

Because it's one of the first things I reached for when getting in the plane, it's one of the first things my wife and Mom grabbed for, and I'll bet it's something that lots of folks grab for while sitting down, but it is terribly flimsy. It's just a really thin piece of plastic designed to shade the panel, with no structural strength at all.

I haven't used the Garmin panels at all. I do like the big King displays, though. Using your pics, the Cessna panel seems a little 'neater' to me.

FYI, you can add a poll to this thread, Joe. Go to Thread Tools and select "Add Poll to this Thread". Quick and easy results!

Brian Austin said:
I haven't used the Garmin panels at all. I do like the big King displays, though. Using your pics, the Cessna panel seems a little 'neater' to me.

FYI, you can add a poll to this thread, Joe. Go to Thread Tools and select "Add Poll to this Thread". Quick and easy results!

I thought about a poll, but I thought reading other people's thought processes might be more interesting than just the numbers in this case.

The Garmins are easier to use, I think, but they do not contribute as much to my situational awareness as the KMD550, IMHO. With the KMD550, I'm comfortable leaving the charts folded, as long as I have notes of where I'm at in the event of an electrical failure and can find myself on the charts quickly. The Garmins do not communicate information such as roads, railroads, obstructions, etc. At least not the ones I used. We kept the charts out and open with the Garmins.

HuskerMedic said:

No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to airplanes, at worst what you don't know can kill you, at best it will just cost you money.

If you push/pull on the glareshield such as to get in and out of the plane the glareshield will loosen and come off over time.

The trick is (well was for the 70's and 90's era aircraft, I haven't been in the newest Tigers to know if this is still true) to to use your toe to lift up the seat cushion, step on the seat itself when entering. You can balance youself by putting a hand on the windshield frame or the canopy.

Len

HuskerMedic said:

Even with the "NO HOLD" placard, everyone wants to use it to hold in to especially when adjusting the seat. If you pull on the glareshield enough it will come right off in your hand. The proper way to get into the Tiger or adjust your seat, is to hold onto the canopy bow which is designed to take the stress. I flip up the seat cushion with my hand, step on the underlying seat pan, step down into the plane and put the seat cushion back down.

Please, please, please make sure the ejection seat pins aren't removed when doing this.

(just kidding) :)

Strictly from looks, I like the Cessna panel. Reserve the right to change my mind after a few hours of operating each!

Gary

HuskerMedic said:

There's spots to hold on up on the windshield bow.

Joe,

On the Garmins, how much detail you see depends upon your zoom level (map scale) and clutter setting. The 430s will show cities, highways, road, railroads, airspace, state lines, and bodies of water (probably a few more).

I've not used the KMD550 but I'm very happy with a dual Garmin setup like the Tiger. It uses far less real estate on the panel.

drhunt said:
Joe,

On the Garmins, how much detail you see depends upon your zoom level (map scale) and clutter setting. The 430s will show cities, highways, road, railroads, airspace, state lines, and bodies of water (probably a few more).

I've not used the KMD550 but I'm very happy with a dual Garmin setup like the Tiger. It uses far less real estate on the panel.

I will have to experiment with the Garmins more. I was using a 20 mile range setting, but I didn't mess with the declutter at all. Wonder if it was all turned off? I'll start up the Garmin simulator on my computer, and check it out in the real thing next time I'm up.

I've got a King panel with a KLN94 but no MFD. I have been researching and, although I would like to maintain my 25 year loyalty to King, I just can't do it. The reason? The KMD line of MFD's offer ground based weather graphics only. Not satellite. From my base I cannot get weather depiction in the cockpit until I reach 7000'.

I want a weather picture before I leave the ground.

Thus, my Cessna is getting a Garmin GNS480 mated to an MX20.

I'm not knocking King in any way. My KLN94 is very capable. I simply would not get the utility out of the wx product from King. Of course, a simple upgrade to the KMD 250 (which will talk to the 94, 550 not needed) is $22K less than my upgrade choice.

Good thing I'm not a cheapskate!

BB

Weather Picture Before Leaving the Ground

Big Bird said:

Did any one else get the four page color brochure from Anywhere Map. It is a very nicely done marketing piece. I was impressed and would consider it if I needed it (and didn't just buy an engine).

Len

Ditto to what Ken Said!

So Joe, are you giving up on the 172s and 150s at N10 and KLOM and going to reserve your hard earned $ for the trip to KPNE and the Tigers?

AdamZ said:
Ditto to what Ken Said!

So Joe, are you giving up on the 172s and 150s at N10 and KLOM and going to reserve your hard earned $ for the trip to KPNE and the Tigers?

I will continue to rent the 152s from N10. They are my friends, I want to continue spending some money with them, and economics means a sizable chunk of my flying will still be in that nice, cheap plane anyway. And I'm not driving an hour or more to fly a 152 for an hour or two. Cathy and I have been discussing whether or not we'll keep renting 172s from Wings, but frankly I see little need to do so unless I can't get a Tiger booked. I do like the new Skyhawks, and the operation at Wings. I won't mind renting a Skyhawk from them every three months or so just to keep my currency up with them.

I met Herb Monday evening when we got back into town. Seems like a very nice man. Apologized profusely for the time we spent waiting to get a plane Saturday after the one we were supposed to rent went down for MX. I didn't see the problem, since these things happen and his folks solved the problem quite nicely, but it was nice of him to speak up, I thought.

Big Bird said:
...my Cessna is getting a Garmin GNS480 mated to an MX20.

So is my Cheeger, along with an SL-30 backup nav/comm and a VM-1000 engine panel to replace all engine instruments including the tach. When it's all done, the panel will be extremely powerful yet very clean.

Big Bird said:
I've got a King panel with a KLN94 but no MFD. I have been researching and, although I would like to maintain my 25 year loyalty to King, I just can't do it. The reason? The KMD line of MFD's offer ground based weather graphics only. Not satellite. From my base I cannot get weather depiction in the cockpit until I reach 7000'.

Thus, my Cessna is getting a Garmin GNS480 mated to an MX20.

I'm not knocking King in any way. My KLN94 is very capable. I simply would not get the utility out of the wx product from King. Of course, a simple upgrade to the KMD 250 (which will talk to the 94, 550 not needed) is $22K less than my upgrade choice.

Good thing I'm not a cheapskate!

BB

The MX20 is even nicer than the KMD550, by a long shot IMHO. I've not flown behind one, yet, but I've seen them on display. Beautiful!

Joe Williams said:
The MX20 is even nicer than the KMD550, by a long shot IMHO. I've not flown behind one, yet, but I've seen them on display. Beautiful!
I sat right in front of one during a brief trip in a Seneca, pre-PPL (sat right seat as passenger). Watching us move on the taxiway diagrams was incredible! The pilot/owner said it's an incredible help for the bigger airports. The terrain avoidance package was installed, too. Wow!

Just a heads up Joe. If your not taking an extended XC you are very likely to get put in one of the older Tigers either 95D or 541. Both good planes and 541 is the fastest in the Tiger fleet but neither have GPS or those spiffy new interiors. They still are fun as all get out to fly though.

AdamZ said:
Just a heads up Joe. If your not taking an extended XC you are very likely to get put in one of the older Tigers either 95D or 541. Both good planes and 541 is the fastest in the Tiger fleet but neither have GPS or those spiffy new interiors. They still are fun as all get out to fly though.

I would imagine they rent for less than the new Tigers though. Correct?

AdamZ said:

That's OK. Most of my flights will be shorter ones, such as trips down to Delaware or MD to get crab cakes :) I do much prefer GPS on the longer trips. Actually, what I really want is that moving map on longer trips. I love those things.

No, Anthony, prices are the same for new or old Tigers, as well as the Archers and a Socata Tobago. I might want to check the Tobago out sooner or later, just for grins if nothing else.

Last edited:
Joe: Do you really want "Crap" Cakes? :rofl: Tobago is supposed to have good vis but I hear its Slooooooooooooow.

AdamZ said:
Joe: Do you really want "Crap" Cakes? :rofl: Tobago is supposed to have good vis but I hear its Slooooooooooooow.

Oops!!! :eek: . I hear the Tobago is about as fast as a 160 hp Skyhawk. I also hear it's nearly always available. Wonder if one is related to the other? LOL. Actually, the issue of speed really isn't that much of an issue on a 95 nm trip, is it?

Joe Williams said:
Oops!!! :eek: . I hear the Tobago is about as fast as a 160 hp Skyhawk. I also hear it's nearly always available. Wonder if one is related to the other? LOL. Actually, the issue of speed really isn't that much of an issue on a 95 nm trip, is it?

And it is a French plane.... (insert witty France comment here)

Re: Weather Picture Before Leaving the Ground

Len Lanetti said:
Did any one else get the four page color brochure from Anywhere Map. It is a very nicely done marketing piece. I was impressed and would consider it if I needed it (and didn't just buy an engine).

Len

Anywhere Map suits a lot of folks, but the slick marketing downplays what I consider a major shortcoming for pilots/owners. Or anyone who flys the same equipment everyday. That is; small screen, marginal sunlight readability, batteries, and wires in the cockpit.

I'll take my weather depiction mounted in the panel.

Who did your engine?

BB

I LOVE Anywhere Map! It's the best handheld solution out there. I'm going to end up with a Garmin 430 in my cockpit at some point (I am also getting a new engine - setting me back a bit earlier than I expected!) but I'll still always have AWM in there too. It can't be beat...

Bill

Back