Tiger Moth

Sweet. A true classic.

Did you ask for a ride?

They were using it to take pics promoting a kid's scholarship program thru the Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham. Talked to the owner. He came over from S. Africa and said the plane was used for flight training there, I think he said military. Anyway, I now know what hangar he's in and maybe someday I'll catch a ride or get to do a FR with him. But it was just beautiful. Check out that big gray thing in the lower center of the panel. Compass!

Where does he mount his iPad?

Looks to be in excellent condition. Nice birdie!

Love the "panel":)

Got to fly a Gypsy Moth in the U.K. once. True stick and rudder flying.

Cheers

I was lucky enough to fly one of those a while back. I'm not sure I had it coordinated at any point in the flight. Poor yaw stability plus adverse yaw turned it into a clown show by me...

Last edited:
Nostalgia! I learned to fly in a Tiger Moth over sixty years ago in the UK. Stalls and spins were second and third lessons back then. Also to do aerobatics one had first to be able to restart a stopped engine, no electric starter. That involved a near vertical dive to near Vne before the stationary prop would kick over. I love that airplane! Google the dh moth club if you would like more information.

By the way, that oversized compass was a joy to fly with compared to the items we have in modern aircraft. I installed on in my single place homebuilt aircraft many years ago, sitting on the floor between my legs!

15 replies and no one mentioned that there is no AOA on that thing...scary!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

15 replies and no one mentioned that there is no AOA on that thing...scary!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Didn't need that shet back in the day, used their ass.

Back