Three little Blackhawks

dwalt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DWalt
Not a great pic, but saw these guys when taxiing back to the ramp at PDK the other day. Was a cool sight in person.

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
"Tower, Skyhawk Tango Uniform requesting inverted flyby of Blackhawks on south ramp"

Special ops 160th Hawks. A rare sight for this area. Probably the guys out of Savannah.

Hell, I was there for two years and I don't think I ever saw them. Just heard them at night.

Sure those are SOAR guys?

Hell, I was there for two years and I don't think I ever saw them. Just heard them at night.

Sure those are SOAR guys?

Yep. Refueling probes, FLIR and radar on the nose. Big Army 60s don't have those toys.

Not grey enough to be USAF Pave Hawks. 3-160th has Black Hawks at Hunter AAF.

Ah yea, I see them now. Didn't notice them at first.

I've seen some of that equipment on the Air Force Hawks, but all of the AF ones I've seen had gray paint.

Careful! The new HH-60M medevac birds have FLIR and Wx radar...no AR probe, though.

Yeah seen some old Guard Q models with it as well. I'll take a slick Hawk with a good set of goggles and HUD over that extraneous nonsense any day. Too much drag and too much weight.

Any -60 will do just fine for me, thanks. :D

Rode in em. Flew the sim at Hunter. Beats a Robinson.

OOOPS...just realized the photo I posted from my iPhone was upside down...fixed it!

I was a crew chief from 88-93 in Wiesbaden, Germany then Ft. Hood, TX. Miss the -60A, but not the Army.

Cool. We have the SOAR guys on our ramp a lot, mostly the -47s and an occasional little bird. Only ever hear them, because it is dark out when they fly. Guessing it has something to do with DEVGRU being a couple miles down the road.

We did a lot more NVG training when fuel was limited. Nap of the earth (NOE) at 25-50' off the tree tops was a bunch of fun at 18-22 yrs old. Would not do it now.

Nap of the earth (NOE) at 25-50' off the tree tops was a bunch of fun at 18-22 yrs old. Would not do it now.

I'm 41 and I *still* do it! Not all the time, though, much more comfy up at 1000' AGL. And by "not all the time", I mean hardly ever. :yes:

67R '89-'95
Current Mi-17 crew chief

Back