Threat to Windows based avionics?

john smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
john smith
From Security Now #263, 25 August 2010...

Spanair’s 2008 crash which killed 154 of 172 people because take-off flaps and slats failed to extend as they should have, may have malware implications

Spanair’s Maintenance System was infected with malware, believed to have been spread through a Flash Drive, which might have prevented it from alarming about the problem which, had it done so, would have grounded the plane pending investigation. Internal Spanair documents pointed to “Trojans” causing its central computer — designed to monitor fault messages transmitted from the aircraft — to fail.

It was on the maintenance computers, not the avionics themselves. Still, us using tablets and sharing flash drives must still be careful. It's not that hard to stay away from bad websites/files.

Update: To clarify, the computer system in question is described as being on the ground—not on the plane itself—and used to monitor the state of critical systems prior to take off.

http://gizmodo.com/5618287/malware-blamed-for-disastrous-plane-crash

I'm throwing BS on this one, until I hear something which allows me to believe that something inhibited the pilots from knowing what was going on...

How many safety critical avionics applications are hosted on any flavor
of windows?

I'm aware of only one, and that's just a DO-178B level C box.

It's not that hard to stay away from bad websites/files.

It can be if you aren't a good typist. Many of the nasty sites are one letter different than a well used site. I've mis-typed website names only to have Windows Anti-Virus 2010 tell me my windows folder is damaged, and start scanning my C drive. I get a little chuckle from it when I'm using a Linux machine (no C drive and no Windows folder)

How many safety critical avionics applications are hosted on any flavor
of windows?

I'm aware of only one, and that's just a DO-178B level C box.
I'm pretty sure the Garmin Mx20, the 430/530 and the Avidyne MFD are all using some version embedded Windows.

Back