Threading the needle (whew!)

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
The picture makes it look like this happened at night! I used to live in that area... lots of BIG evergreen trees = lucky pilot.

http://www.komotv.com/news/story_m.asp?ID=35604

March 8, 2005

By KOMO Staff

KING COUNTY - The pilot of a small plane was forced to make an emergency landing near Black Diamond late Monday evening after experiencing engine trouble.

John Gilman was flying his single engine Cessna back to Yakima after dropping off a relative at the Auburn airport when he lost oil pressure a short time after takeoff.

Gilman was unable to make it back to the Auburn airport and landed on a two-lane stretch of Auburn Black Diamond Road.

"I saw some headlights... and I just picked a road with a good straightaway, rounded the corner and went in between the trees," said Gilman. "I went over a wire and then went under a wire and then around the corner and then landed."

Cars on the road managed to swerve out of the way as the small plane touched down about 7 p.m.

Gilman was not injured and the plane was not damaged.

Sheriff's deputies shut down the road for about an hour while the plane was hooked up to a tow truck and taken to Crest Airpark in Kent.

Over a wire, under a wire. WOW

From the text it appears they did not even have to take the wings off to tow the aircraft to the airport.

One lucky dude.

I hope the plane checks out ok after being towed by the prop... :)

;) Theres a pilot that should say a thank you, say a prayer, be happy to be on the ground, and put oil in the engine before take off!

Looks like he did this at night, or at least twilight!

Back