Thousand Islands Vacation

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Have been banging my head trying to put together a summer vacation and figuring out where to go that both my wife and 16yo daughter will enjoy. We thought of including some college tours. Thought about NY State. Does anyone know anything about the Thousand Islands' area at the NY / Canada border its just north of Watertown NY.

Last edited:
Supposed to be pretty. Always wanted to check it out, heard the water is cold. Adirondacks are one of my favorite places and in the same general area(airplane scale.)

Great destination. Take a boat tour to get an overview of the area. Visit Bolt Castle. Alexandria Bay and Clayton have lots of places to eat and stay. Water is cold, but swim-able amd there's some good dive sites too (if you scuba). Some islands have campsites if you're into that. There used to be places to rent boats and explore on your own. Don't know if they're still available. Drive out to Cape Vincent where Lake Ontario drains into the St. Lawrence.

You could stop by Cooperstown and see the Baseball Hall of Fame.

BTDT several times and to be honest while I like baseball I was never a huge fan of the hall.

Great destination. Take a boat tour to get an overview of the area. Visit Bolt Castle. Alexandria Bay and Clayton have lots of places to eat and stay. Water is cold, but swim-able amd there's some good dive sites too (if you scuba). Some islands have campsites if you're into that. There used to be places to rent boats and explore on your own. Don't know if they're still available. Drive out to Cape Vincent where Lake Ontario drains into the St. Lawrence.

Thanks for the info. While I'm into camping the Spouse is definitly not. Any recommendations of good places to stay?

"How do you hide an island?" "You've head of the thousand islands?" "Yes." "Count them next time." "You don't mean-" "Yes! A thousand and one!"

Thanks for the info. While I'm into camping the Spouse is definitly not. Any recommendations of good places to stay?

Clayton
http://www.1000islands-clayton.com/visitorinfo/

Alexandria Bay
http://www.visitalexbay.org/

We prefer a place on the river for the view of the ships running up and down the Seaway. Good places to stay in both towns. Clayton is smaller than Alex Bay, but still has good hotels/motels. Also has an antique motorboat museum. The bridge to Wellesley Island and Canada is between the two towns.

Have been banging my head trying to put together a summer vacation and figuring out where to go that both my wife and 16yo daughter will enjoy. We thought of including some college tours. Thought about NY State. Does anyone know anything about the Thousand Islands' area at the NY / Canada border its just north of Watertown NY.

UpState NY is very rich in American Revolution history, Fort Ticonderoga in the north to West Point in the south. and yes the Thousand Island area is beautiful. The area around Cooperstown has James Fenimore Cooper's Homestead known as the farmers museum and one of Our favorite places to spend a couple days.

Picturea are of the farmers museum (typical village of 1700) and the Hudson Valley.

Attachments

• Trip 2010 NY DC 228.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 228.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Entrance.jpg
    Entrance.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BLOOMVI3.jpg
    BLOOMVI3.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 16
  • READOUT.jpg
    READOUT.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Picturea are of the farmers museum (typical village of 1700) and the Hudson Valley.

Tom, in your photo #4 of the Hudson River, is that West Point sticking out right to left about 2/3 up the photo from the bottom? If it is, you can see why West Point was such an important military fort back in the day. West Point has a commanding field of artillery fire for a long stretch of river as it wrapped around the point.

-Skip

UpState NY is very rich in American Revolution history, Fort Ticonderoga in the north to West Point in the south. and yes the Thousand Island area is beautiful. The area around Cooperstown has James Fenimore Cooper's Homestead known as the farmers museum and one of Our favorite places to spend a couple days.

Those are all beautiful areas but are a bit further east than our planned trip. Then again who knows we may end up in a totally different area of the country.

I would second seeing the Boldt Castle. The story and the grounds are both pretty cool. A boat ride through the islands is beautiful and you can see the shortest international bridge between two of the islands. Kingston, ON is a neat town. It is a prison town with about 5 prisons, some with some major history and I think they may have tours. Also Fort Henry is there. They have an impressive reenactment drill. It was originally built to protect Canada from a US invasion but never fired a shot in anger.

Attachments

• 050Boldt Castle.jpg
    050Boldt Castle.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 11
  • 160Shortest Int. Bridge.jpg
    160Shortest Int. Bridge.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 124Fort Henry.jpg
    124Fort Henry.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 11
Tom, in your photo #4 of the Hudson River, is that West Point sticking out right to left about 2/3 up the photo from the bottom? If it is, you can see why West Point was such an important military fort back in the day. West Point has a commanding field of artillery fire for a long stretch of river as it wrapped around the point.

-Skip

The third pic was taken from the Delancy VOR looking NNE.
Little town of Bloomville on Route 10, home sweet home :) for my older sister.

The 4th would be very close to West Point, But I can't make out any West Point reference points. there should be a couple prominent buildings, but I don't see them.

We were headed into Stewart AFB. for fuel.

Last edited:
Back