Thoughts on Zenith?

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience or input on or about Zenith aircraft. From what I've read and heard, they seem to be a great option for budget first-time build, since it doesn't require any specialized tools and such.

While I would like an CH801HD, that's a bit more pricey, and in reality, I'd never really use the additional seats and such, so I'm thinking a CH701. The way I see it, I could save up for 10 years and buy a cheap certified aircraft, or I can buy one of these kits in pieces as I progress, and have a plane in a couple of years.

Are there any other kits out there that can get you a decent plane for putting around for that kind of money and ease-of-build that would be worth looking in to? (Keep in mind, supporting Missouri's economy by going Zenith weights pretty high for me.)

Also, what would you expect to be paying to put an engine on one? I've looked around at some, and new Rotaxes were close to $20K. I'd assume similar engines could be found for less, especially factory overhauled ones?

Any input, thoughts, suggestions, mocking, etc, would be appreciated!

http://www.zenithair.com/

Paging Ben Haas (N801BH)!

I believe Ben can give you first-hand information on the 801.

One item to keep in mind when looking at the 701, 750, and 801 is that while the 750 is generally listed with an LSA MTOW (1320 lbs) the design gross weight is really 1440 lbs (see http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/750-performance.html) if you don't need or want LSA limitations.

If you are willing to consider it, there are less expensive alternates to Rotax for the 701 and 750 models; for example the Viking engine built around the Honda Fit engine block and selling for $13,500:
http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/Airplanes/ZENITH.html

What the heck is a Zenith 801 :dunno::dunno: :D...;););)

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has any experience or input on or about Zenith aircraft. From what I've read and heard, they seem to be a great option for budget first-time build, since it doesn't require any specialized tools and such.

While I would like an CH801HD, that's a bit more pricey, and in reality, I'd never really use the additional seats and such, so I'm thinking a CH701. The way I see it, I could save up for 10 years and buy a cheap certified aircraft, or I can buy one of these kits in pieces as I progress, and have a plane in a couple of years.

Are there any other kits out there that can get you a decent plane for putting around for that kind of money and ease-of-build that would be worth looking in to? (Keep in mind, supporting Missouri's economy by going Zenith weights pretty high for me.)

Also, what would you expect to be paying to put an engine on one? I've looked around at some, and new Rotaxes were close to $20K. I'd assume similar engines could be found for less, especially factory overhauled ones?

Any input, thoughts, suggestions, mocking, etc, would be appreciated!

http://www.zenithair.com/

If you are looking for only 2 seats ,then IMHO the 750 wins.... Hands down. If you are not a hard core builder who wants to spend some time putting one together I think they have a quick build option that speeds up the process ALOT. They " suggested" about 750 hours when I built my 801 10 years ago.. my gut feeling is I had about 800 for the basic airframe.. motor, panel, paint, interior are additional hours for a total of around 1000 hours.... Making my firewall forward creation fit and work took me an additional 2000 hours....... Yeah , I know, but I am anal and had to make it perfect.. After all, if it didn't work, I would be 6 feet under by now. Taking a plane that is designed for 180 or HP and putting in an almost 400 HP motor pretty much shows how well designed their airframes are.;)

The Zenith folks are the BEST to deal with... I can't stress enough how friendly, helpful and honest they are.:wink2::wink2::wink2:..

I LOVE my 801....:yes:

Ben Haas

They photo guides are great, large builder base, kits available as plans only, kit (not quick build), kit (quick build), and ready to fly S-LSA (but not at the Mexico, Missouri factory). Ordinary tools required to put it together.

The regular kit can be bought in sections (wings, fuselage, elevator, etc.,) which allows you to spread the cost out over a couple of years. They have a rudder class at the Mexico factory several times a year. You can take a test flight during the class or schedule a time.

And the people there are great to deal with. Very helpful.

The CH high wings were my second choice. Great, highly proven designs and I may still get one (already built) based on what I've seen of N801BH.

I wanted fast build with folding wings so went with the Highlander. ~500 hours to flyable on wheels, plus another 300 for amphib floats and all the other extensive custom stuff.

Never flown one, but the people that I have met that have them really swear up and down by them, seen some really impressive landings too.

I recently did the rudder workshop at the Zenith factory and was very impressed with the Company and the 650 B that I flew on a demo flight.

If you make a small investment of $375 plus travel to Mexico MO, it is a great way to get your feet wet on airplane building. They run the workshop once a month and you can choose the airplane rudder to build.

As far as engines, lots of choices from Continentas to Corvairs. You pays your money and you takes your choice, as they say. Since it takes a while to build, you can do a lot of research before deciding. Some would never use an auto engine conversion while others swear by them.

Cheers

Last edited:
I recently did the rudder workshop at the Zenith factory and was very impressed with the Company and the 650 B that I flew on a demo flight.

If you make a small investment of $375 plus travel to Mexico MO, it is a great way to get your feet wet on airplane building. They run the workshop once a month and you can choose the airplane rudder to build.

As far as engines, lots of choices from Continentas to Corvairs. You pays your money and you takes your choice, as they say. Since it takes a while to build, you can do a lot of research before deciding. Some would never use an auto engine conversion while others swear by them.

Cheers
Is it all really as easy as they make it out to be? I'm pretty good with my hand and mechanically inclined, but I don't have much equipment, and can't spend thousands of dollars on tools and such.

That's what I've been wanting to do. I might see if my dad wants to fly up there and do the workshop with me for my graduation gift, instead of going pheasant hunting.

Can you choose which plane you fly for the demo? I'd definitely want to fly the one I'm gonna build. Also, is it free with the workshop?

As for the engine, I'm nowhere near even thinking about it. Considering it will probably take me 3-4 years to build the plane, engine choices and firewall-forward kits will probably be much different than now.

Also, have you (or anyone an here) looked much into panel options? The only things I see at airshows and demos are expensive glass set-ups, like Dynon. I don't want to spend thousands on a panel. Since it's not really an XC plane, I don't seen the need for IFR capability. I was just figuring very basic instruments, with an iPad (or similar) mount. Regardless, I'm far from there as well, so I'm not too worried about it yet either.

Tools, very basic. You've got to measure stuff, draw straight lines, cut aluminum, drill holes, pull rivets, paint or spray on corrosion protection.

The biggest project before I got started was making the work table. It needs to be about 4 feet wide and maybe 12 feet long and flat and level.

I didn't buy anything until I actually needed it and then I bought it locally.

Is it all really as easy as they make it out to be? I'm pretty good with my hand and mechanically inclined,.............

Once you take the Zenith builders workshop two things will happen...

1- You will gain enough confidence to move forward and build the entire airplane... It is pretty easy once you get your mind wrapped around the idea YOU CAN DO IT...

2- You will be flying your kit plane sooner then just about any other kit out there.

The Zenith Factory support is beyond exceptional... They are GREAT.:yes:

Tool list is minimal and affordable. Like the other guy said,,, build a 4X12" flat work bench and follow the instructions and the only thing left is the BIG smile on your face the day you do your first flight.:):)

Is it all really as easy as they make it out to be? I'm pretty good with my hand and mechanically inclined, but I don't have much equipment, and can't spend thousands of dollars on tools and such.

You can use simple hand tools but buying a compressor if you don't have one and using pneumatic tools like at the workshop convinced me to go that way. Small part of the total investment and well worth it.

Can you choose which plane you fly for the demo? I'd definitely want to fly the one I'm gonna build. Also, is it free with the workshop?

You fly in the one you are building the rudder for except I don't think they have a 801. No additional charge.

Also, have you (or anyone an here) looked much into panel options? The only things I see at airshows and demos are expensive glass set-ups, like Dynon. I don't want to spend thousands on a panel.

Steam gauge versions are available but the choice is infinite. Since you built it, if you want to upgrade later, you just do it.

$375 is the cost of the kit if you build it at home so all of the factory stuff is "free" except for your travel expenses.

Cheers

The Zenith is a great first time build and I agree with Ben that the 750 is the best bang for the buck. The UL230 engine looks great and so far is proving to be very reliable. The most difficult part of the build for a first timer is the firewall forward installation. Zenith has a complete FF kit for both the Rotax and UL that takes all the guesswork out of it. Don't chose an engine because it is cheap. You will find that a good auto conversion will end up costing as much as the Rotax or UL and take you more hours to adapt it to the airframe than building the rest of the airplane. Nothing wrong with going basic on the panel and I would encourage it. But if you want more than basic engine instruments then a Dynon 180 is the way to go and they are coming on the used market now. Go for it as there is nothing like flying an airplane that you built yourself. Don

Back