Thoughts on Grand Haven, MI?

aranpura

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ash
Folks, a few of you might remember our plans for a week-long New England tour. Well, a line of thunderstorms and hectic schedules have made us postpone that trip until the fall, so we're going to do something smaller and closer this week.

We're based at Toledo Metcalf (KTDZ), and we're hoping to go someplace beautiful to camp for a few days, ideally near a little beach. Friends have suggested Empire, MI and Grand Haven, MI, both on the lakeshore. Of the two, Grand Haven looks like it will be more fun.

It looks like we can camp in Hoffmaster State Park on the lakeshore. The closest field is Muskegon County Airport, a medium-sized place with rental cars and fuel. But there's a nice looking grass strip called Flying-A-Ranch (39Z) in Fruitport, just a bit farther away, that might be more suitable.

I know a couple of you are familiar with the area, so I hoped you might have some thoughts on where to fly in to, where to camp, and what to visit.

Thanks!

-Ash.

Don't have any experince with Grand Haven, But I have camped at the campground next to the airport in Empire. It was more then 10 years ago and I don't have fond memorys as it rained all weekend. It was a nice campground but I not sure if it had showers. It would be quite a hike to the lake and I doubt they would have rental cars.

Empire is a nice quaint town and the lake is beautiful there. There is tons to do if you have a car as the Sleeping bear lake shore is beautiful.

What are you looking for? Backwoods camping with a lake or improved campng (with flush toliets and showers) and other stuff to see and do.

For the latter, Did you consider Traverse City? There is a state part almost in down town with the beach on the bay right across the road the nearest airport would be Cherry Capital.

I would suggest Ludington over Grand Haven.

Grand Haven is a wonderful area. There are three spots along that area of the lake shore that are well worth checking out. Saugatuck, Holland and Grand Haven are all very tourism oriented.

In Holland there is KHLM that isn't too far from camping. They won't have rental on site, but there are plenty in the area that will happily deliver. Holland is also about midway between Grand Haven and Saugatuck.

Grand Haven and Holland are open most of the time. Going to Saugatuck is a bit different though. Many of the downtown shops are closed on Monday/Tuesday (?) if I remember correctly.

I would suggest Ludington over Grand Haven.
Me too. There's a really nice state park on Hamlin lake with hiking trails to Lake Michigan and lots of sand dunes. Empire has the Sleeping Bear dunes but that's about it. Perhaps the best option would be to visit all three.

A friend of mine lives across the street from Sleeping Bear dunes. I can get more info from him if you're interested.

@Missa, I wish we could say we're planning on light, backcountry camping. We have an 18 month old, and I'm slowly weaning my partner off resource-intensive car camping. For now, we still need access to toilets and showers. Traverse City sounds like a great plan, we'll go up there and rent bicycles.

@Ed and iGismo, Luddington looks like a beautifully situated spot. We'll definitely add it to our itinerary.

@kevin, thanks for pointing out Holland and Saugatuck! With limited time, we may just stick to Grand Haven and keep heading north from there.

It looks like great flying weather, and I'm looking forward to the trip. Thanks again for all the advice!

-Ash.

Last edited:
Wolf run state park is a short walk from Noble county (I10). It has a really nice little campground about 30 feet from the runway. About 130 nm from you.

Do yourself a favor and call any campground you're wanting to stay at before you leave, and make reservations. You may be surprised at how little availability you'll find on a holiday weekend in Michigan. You may get lucky because you're tenting it. I would be very surprised if there are any lots available in the state campground in TC. If you rent a car, there is a nice campround just west of TC on 31 that will likely have tent spots. Be sure you look at notams on airport closure at TC this weekend. The Blue Angels are there so the airport will be closed while they are flyiing. If you end up going to TC plan to be there to watch the fireworks on the beach. You'll get close up views of the burners on an F15 after dark before the fireworks start. I think this weekend is the start of Cherry Festival in TC so there will lots going on in town. You'll enjoy it.

Don't forget about Mackinac Island and Beaver Island. I think there is a state park right across the street from Weilke airport on Beaver Island. You are almost guaranteed to have a local stop and pick you up for a ride into town from Weilke.

Oh and if you don't care if it's a river: best campground in Michigan IMO: Peterson Bridge in the Manistee nataion forrest. It's along the pine river and had a bathroom with flush tolitests but no showers (who needs a shower when your right next to the river) Cadilac is probally the closest airport (55 west out of town to 37 south can't over the bridge on the left) http://www.michigan.org/maps/default.aspx?proxy=g10418&name=Peterson+Bridge+Campground&dAddress=M-37&dCity=Wellston&dState=MI&dCountry=US&dZi=49689&dLat=44.15557&dLongi=-85.79984&command=p

Thanks for the additional suggestions, I'm keeping a file of them for when we go up next. We ended up going to Luddington (KLDW), had a really good 3 days, but some caveats for pilots. I'll post a PIREP separately. Noble County is on our list, and we were going to go up to Traverse City this morning but family obligations made us reschedule. This weekend it's down to Dayton instead!

-Ash.

Back