Thomaston's Best-known Pilot is Gone

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Lengthy: http://knox.villagesoup.com/p/william-e-daggett/1179959

Bill hadn't flown for years but now he's sporting forever wings and shall be missed by many. A long-time co-worker in the cement industry with my father, Bill gave Dad his only general aviation flight in Bill's beloved float plane.
Both his sons are pilots/owners; at least one grandson is a pilot. The latter is a story in itself.

That grandson had been flying with Grampy since "knee-high to a grasshopper." Over the years, the boy picked up a lot of "help" and understanding. After Bill had completed the area tour with my father, they talked.

"Ken, if you really want to have your heart in your throat, think about saying to your nine year old grandson who's about to solo your pride and joy float plane, ""Now boy, I want to see some turns, figure eights, takeoffs and landings,"" and then stand there on the shore of the lake and watch him do it." True story!

Of course, eventually the kid had to take standardized flight instruction. The story came that the flight instructor is said to have commented to friends, "Either I'm the world's greatest instructor or I have a complete whiz kid for for a student pilot." He was totally unaware of the circumstances. Needless to say that, when the kid became of Private Pilot age eligibility he passed on the initial flight test. RIP, Bill.

HR

Starting that young has huge advantages. There is a business that sells the fighter pilot experience where you dog fight (with your staff pilot) against a bandit flown by another customer. They use laser guns, etc.
The daughter of one of the owners was in the age range of 6 or 7 or so when I saw the video of her dog fighting. She had been around the planes since she was born, often riding/flying in the "bandit" ship with her dad. She would fly the dog fight against a staff pilots. Rarely were they able to get a shot on her. She would keep them centered in her canopy as they went around until they made a mistake and then it was, sayonara sucker.

Think about skate boards. how many of us adults can do what some ten year old kid does nonchalantly on a board?
Now, I know I am smarter than a fifth grader because I refuse to even attempt to jump the curb on a skateboard. My momma din't raise no fool (mumble,mumble)

Back