This will get one star and I don't care:

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I am going flying Thursday morning by myself out of FDK. That means currency flying. I hope there are clouds, but even if there aren't, I will file. I have a four-hour block, and I think I can probably log 2 hours or a bit more. Here's your chance to tell me what to do best practice my VFR and IFR skills.

More helpful bits and pieces for your decision-making process:

* I am IFR current and proficient.

* I haven't done slow flight and stalls for some time, but I'm not sure I want to do the first stall alone.

* I'm comfortable with landings in the C172 and C182 in surface winds up to about 25 knots and crosswinds up to about 15 knots. (I've done a lot more, but I don't like it. If it is windier than that Thursday, I will cancel.)

* Whenever I fly, I do at least two landings. Whenver I fly alone, I do at least five landings, and sometimes as much as ten--practicing as many types as possible.

Thanks much!

You said it yourself, it's a currency flight. Why not get a safety pilot to go with you? I know you are IFR current but you know what they say about practice.....

wangmyers said:
* I haven't done slow flight and stalls for some time, but I'm not sure I want to do the first stall alone. /quote]

Ben, I think you answered your own question. Go do some slow flight, stalls
etc. Or you could practice you nav skills and take a x-country to
Cape May, NJ to pick up this havent flown for a while pilot!!!!

KD

Richard said:
You said it yourself, it's a currency flight. Why not get a safety pilot to go with you? I know you are IFR current but you know what they say about practice.....
Thanks, Richard! I don't really know anyone well enough at FDK yet to trust them as a safety pilot. I'm hoping for clouds, though.

cherokeeflyboy said:
wangmyers said:
* I haven't done slow flight and stalls for some time, but I'm not sure I want to do the first stall alone. /quote]

Ben, I think you answered your own question. Go do some slow flight, stalls
etc. Or you could practice you nav skills and take a x-country to
Cape May, NJ to pick up this havent flown for a while pilot!!!!

KD
I would love to do that, but I don't think there's enough time. Did you go to the LNS fly-in? Hope to meet you some time!

wangmyers said:
* I haven't done slow flight and stalls for some time, but I'm not sure I want to do the first stall alone.

Slow flight is good for you. None of that 60kts in a CE172 nonsense. I'm talking Vs/Vso + 2mph kind of thing. You should be feeling the wings trying to stall on you the whole time. Don't let it accelerate, don't let it stall, don't let the altimeter needle move, keep the ball in it's cage, do it all by feel. Straight, turns (360 and stay in your own wake), climbs, descents and mix them up. When you do stalls, don't let it speed up much during the recovery. 20 minutes of that and your altimeter doesn't wander anymore and you can grease your landings.

As long as you're not risking getting shot down or banging into something stationary, turn the magical navigation boxes off and get down to where the scenery is more life size then find your way to a predetermined checkpoint via 2-3 intermediate checkpoints that are out of sight of each other. Don't follow roads/rivers/RR/etc.

I always pull 2-3 things from the PTS and do those to tighter standards until I have them comfortably mastered.

Proficiency flying is fun.

fgcason said:
Proficiency flying is fun.
Roger That. Have fun Ben. Take all advice given above if possible and I look forward to the flight report

I think I will try to do some slow flight and stalls, then.

Ya know, with a little warning (like a week), I might even take a Thursday off to safety pilot for you if you like .... I could even bring headsets. ;-)

wangmyers said:
Thanks, Richard! I don't really know anyone well enough at FDK yet to trust them as a safety pilot. I'm hoping for clouds, though.

mgkdrgn said:
Ya know, with a little warning (like a week), I might even take a Thursday off to safety pilot for you if you like .... I could even bring headsets. ;-)
Thanks, Brett. I guess I just assumed you would be at work! I hope my CFII gets his plane soon. I prefer to fly out of BWI simply because it is closer. It would be more convenient for you, too, if you were to do the safety pilot thing for me.

Thanks!

Incidentally, it looks like I might get some cloud time!

Don't much matter, FDK ain't that far, we could ride up together.

wangmyers said:
Thanks, Brett. I guess I just assumed you would be at work! I hope my CFII gets his plane soon. I prefer to fly out of BWI simply because it is closer. It would be more convenient for you, too, if you were to do the safety pilot thing for me.

Thanks!

Incidentally, it looks like I might get some cloud time!

Great--I'll remember that for the future!

Back