This will be real good for GA (not)

ladyaviator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Linda
While watching the news this morning, they advertised the evening show" The Unit" about a terrorist plane carrying nerve gas. It looked like a J-3 Cub. Boy, won`t that help peoples opinions? Where do they get this stuff?
:vomit:

From the movies. Remember Goldfinger?

The idea isn't new. It is the mood of the sheeple that has changed. And yes, it won't help GA a bit.

-Skip

Yes, ***** Galore's flying circus. Ha, sheeple! Yes, we are afraid of our own shadows not. Well the sheeple are anyway. Its not fashionalbe to live in fear of everything, especially things in which we have no control over. :rolleyes:

OK, what all was wrong with it?

1. J3 doing 100knots.
2. J3 with auto pilot capable of preprogrammed course.
3. 028 depicted as northwest on sectional.

BTW, The Unit is one of my favorite shows. This one was the first one I had serious problems with technically.

Well, depending on what happens, this might be a good thing for GA. If they show the realistic truth in that the plane crashes, the gas is unreleased and the pilot is killed, then yeehaw.

I enjoy "The Unit" as well - haven't seen this episode yet, but "my TiVo gets me" ;-)

I did a small search for the and email for producer David Mamet, but the closest I got was his blog at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-mamet/ - I don't know if there's a way to contact him there and express our views ...

1. J3 doing 100knots.

BTW, The Unit is one of my favorite shows. This one was the first one I had serious problems with technically.
Ditto to a favorite show. I love it. I've not seen this episode yet but it's on the DVR waiting its chance.

I have to admit, I'm not happy with them using a Cub as a terrorist threat. When the kid flew a Skyhawk into the building in Tampa, some folks whacked out at the idea of little airplanes being a threat. But then, I think the premise of this show is above the understanding of most of the idiots who would cry foul.

"Bob (the pilot) asking Mac, the non-pilot, 'What do airplanes do when they stall?" and "Autopilots can't recover from a stall, right? It takes a pilot to do that?"

If you're best idea is "flop on top" you must have thought right past the more obvious option, in my opinion, and that's settle down on top of the wings and keep settling ... I don't think the cub could keep both planes airborne ...

I did appreciate the restraint obviously applied to the theatrical dramatization opportunity when a small puff of dust and a thin plume of smoke was all the J-3 produced when it went down.

Sorry, this episode was pretty weak, IMHO. The two previous weeks, however, really engaged me ...

Last edited:

1. J3 doing 100knots.

Is this the first one where you knew something about it?

I learned that it's the same with news reports. Whenever I know something about what actually happened, it's "Close...Almost.." or sometimes, "Wrongo!"

The West Wing had Air Force One landing on runway 39.

And remember that 24 had the terrists taxiing at high speed with a nuke in an Archer/Arrow/Cherokee

Last edited:
"If you're best idea is "flop on top" you must have thought right past the more obvious option, in my opinion, and that's settle down on top of the wings and keep settling ... I don't think the cub could keep both planes airborne ...

I was thinking a Maule on floats would be a good plane to use to do just that. It would get you up from the other guys prop and give you more surface area to work with. Then I got thinking that a J3's autopilot probably shouldn't have been able to overcome the input from a dead guy's leg leaning on the stick either. :dunno: :rolleyes:

Barb

hey those J3 autopilots are pretty robust!

I'm finally watching this. Gosh, this entirely possible! :hairraise:

Did anyone happen to notice the aileron input during "spin recovery"? That would work... right?

I still have my doubts about installing an AP on a Cub. :)

:goofy:

Yeah I ended catching the end of the episode the other day, and thought exactly the same thing about the spin recovery. Pulling back on the yoke whilst turning would seem to be pretty counter productive. Also wasn't there something about NOT spinning Cherokees? Was that only on Hershey bar PA-28s?

Pete

do you have the name of the episode that this happens in? I don't DVR that program, but I'd like to watch it online.

do you have the name of the episode that this happens in? I don't DVR that program, but I'd like to watch it online.
I haven't deleted it from my DVR yet. I might be able to move it to via Yahoo. Or, try it from here.

I haven't deleted it from my DVR yet. I might be able to move it to via Yahoo. Or, try it from here.

I was looking at the CBS website yesterday, but wasn't sure which episode it was and I didn't feel like sitting through them all only to find out the one with the J3 wasn't up yet :(

Is it one of the 3 they have available for watching online?

I was looking at the CBS website yesterday, but wasn't sure which episode it was and I didn't feel like sitting through them all only to find out the one with the J3 wasn't up yet :(

Is it one of the 3 they have available for watching online?

It's the episode titled "Always Kiss them Goodbye"

Yeah I ended catching the end of the episode the other day, and thought exactly the same thing about the spin recovery. Pulling back on the yoke whilst turning would seem to be pretty counter productive. Also wasn't there something about NOT spinning Cherokees? Was that only on Hershey bar PA-28s?

IIRC, intentional spins are OK on the Hershey bars, but not on the tapered wing PA28's. Which, of course, means that none of our club birds are spinnable. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vontresc

IIRC, intentional spins are OK on the Hershey bars, but not on the tapered wing PA28's. Which, of course, means that none of our club birds are spinnable. :(

Hmmm looks like an Archer to me. Shall we call the FSDO on them?:D

Pete
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=8346H&cmndfind.x=18&cmndfind.y=8

If you would like to rent that Archer N8346H, it is available at the Van Nuys Airport, for $105 wet. :goofy:

Back