This sounds like fun

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
My nephew sent me a text for Father's Day, then mentioned this tidbit:

PS Socal has lost its mind... standard ops going into SNA now is to fly in from east over inner marker @ 6k then turn right downwind and basically spiral in. Real fun when you're landing on 7k feet with a 600 ft margin!

Hand fly, stick it within 1500 feet of touchdown zone or mandatory go around. auto brakes medium, max reverse. fun approach

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NKS2906/history/20230618/1805Z/KLAS/KSNA

My nephew sent me a text for Father's Day, then mentioned this tidbit:

PS Socal has lost its mind... standard ops going into SNA now is to fly in from east over inner marker @ 6k then turn right downwind and basically spiral in. Real fun when you're landing on 7k feet with a 600 ft margin!

Hand fly, stick it within 1500 feet of touchdown zone or mandatory go around. auto brakes medium, max reverse. fun approach

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NKS2906/history/20230618/1805Z/KLAS/KSNA
He ends it with “fun approach.” So I figure he should thank them instead of calling them PS.

He ends it with “fun approach.” So I figure he should thank them instead of calling them PS.

PS is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase postscriptum, meaning "written after." It was attached to the end of his text. "Fun approach" is sarcasm.

PS is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase postscriptum, meaning "written after." It was attached to the end of his text. "Fun approach" is sarcasm.
Oh. I was thinking it was some kind of ‘element of poo poo’ reference. And I was thinking that he was kinda maybe ‘humble bragging’ about how he could ‘fly the plane’ instead of just pushing buttons. But yeah, they may be pushing the boundaries of the ‘crowbar one arrival’ there. I’m still at a loss of words about ‘the inner marker’ though. Not that I don’t know what they are.

Well you do have something like a 10 mile final. Is the concern that you don't have time to line up?

Looks like a HILOPT flown poorly. Isn't that the OM?

Is touchdown accuracy of 1500’ really a problem for a professional pilot?

Heck, in my little bird I’m usually turning off the runway by 1500’.

Not for him. He's been a captain for almost twenty years and has a medium three digit seniority number. He was just telling me the limitations of the approach. Don't confuse minor sarcasm for lack of talent.

Back