This right seat stuff isn't so hard.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Taxied on the center lines, instructor was surprised I could do it from the right seat. Take off, not an issue. Steep turns to the left - rock solid. To the right - so so - this Arrow is a bit more nose heavy than my Cherokee, but the 3rd or fourth one was almost perfect - his words, not mine. Did a power off stall, no issues there, either. We talked about power and prop management, and he gave my his way. And my response was, I just remember to keep the blue lever in front of the black lever, and that's what I will teach my students. His comment was something along the lines of "Wow, I never thought about it being that simple."

Then I "won" my first "argument" in the plane. Come in for the first approach, and I said (just my preference) that I like to have 2 notches of flaps in when abeam my touchdown point, mostly because, well, just because. He makes the comment that we can't make it to the runway if the engine quits at this point.

Rut-roh, don't make that claim if you can't back it up! So I tell him the plane is his and I am pulling the power, let's see how it comes out. Even had to bank it / slip it to not go too far down the runway.

After that he said he's not going to question me on how I do things unless he thinks we're going to die.

CFI in training: 1
CFI in left seat: 0
:)

I performed another two take offs and landings, on centerline, and we called it a day. Other than getting used to the nose being a tad heavier and losing the steep turns I forsee no issues in flying from the right seat.

It's going to be a scary day for aviation when I get to tack those three letters behind my name. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Last edited:
Yep. The hardest parts of flying a Cherokee from the right seat is reaching the fuel selector and, at least in the older 180's, the toe brakes leave a lot to be desired but the handle works just fine for that.

Just always remember that first lesson and let It be a life lesson in instructing.

Dont ever become the CFI that was riding in your left seat, we have too many of them, turned out by the CFI mills, that really dont have a clue and even worse dont really care. They stick around long enough to build a few hours and turn out a few students who also do not have a clue.

Well, I have no plans to use this to build hours as I have no desire to fly 135 or 121, and at this time no urge to fly 91 corporate either. So, I will be there because I want to be there, not because I have to be there.

N2212R said:
Well, I have no plans to use this to build hours as I have no desire to fly 135 or 121, and at this time no urge to fly 91 corporate either. So, I will be there because I want to be there, not because I have to be there.

Good job Ed, I have been wondering how the CFI thing was going. Just wait til you get that first PP student in the left seat, it is real eye opening. I now have 40 hours of dual given logged since I got mine, and I am having a blast with it. I am sure you wil make a great instructor!! Get-er-done!!
Don

Ed,

Nice work.

It's almost too bad that you didn't have some of the more common issues many pilots tend to face in the right seat transition. If nothing else, the need to reteach yourself sometimes gives you a head start on picking up techniques that will help you teach others.

On the other hand, the fact that you did it so well suggests that you may have picked up some of those techniques already. The key is in being able to explain them - after all, the CFI is about teaching, not flying.

midlifeflyer said:
the CFI is about teaching, not flying.

Oh, I know that will be the case, luckily I already have some instruction experience in martial arts and golf. The big key that I always found is to find something that the student can relate too. I always asked what other interests they have so they have a reference point.

Back