This looks like a fun toy. Giant RC Tri-plane

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Jump to the 1:20 mark.
A big slow, draggy, maneuverable plane.

That's the only RC video where I'm glad to see he didn't smash it into the ground. He flies it so well.

I had a small one of these and a Se5a biplane.

291808_2261433908649_695503731_n.jpg

The biplane was an absolute blast to fly, able to fly slow but obscenely overpowered. The triplane however... we had problems keeping it coordinated. The wings just wouldn't stay lined up in respect to each other and it made for some pretty rough flying. Once you rolled it on it's side, it was turning already - a LOT more use of the rudder than anything else I flew. I had to fly it a lot faster and all the way to the ground each time (ton of drag and higher stall). Biplane wasn't that way at all.

Very close coupled aircraft. The ailerons being on the top wings instead of the top and bottom like the biplane made for some interesting roll effects as well. Great looking but a handful to fly. That guy makes it look easy. :yes: very skilled

If he spent that much time and money to build that RC Fokker he should have just build a full scale...

very cool.

(btw - what the heck is the point of the gawdawful background muzak?)

I've successfully crashed every RC plane I've tried to fly. I like that one though, because it had a little RC pilot with a white scarf.

It's a beautiful plane. It's been at Joe Nall @ Triple Tree that last couple of years.

There appears to be a whole culture dedicated to building giant scale RC planes. That Fokker is nice but there is some pretty interesting stuff out there.

Now that made me smile. Nice flying.

I've successfully crashed every RC plane I've tried to fly. I like that one though, because it had a little RC pilot with a white scarf.

Haha me too I compare it to bullriding 8sec of fun followed by a world of pocket book pain.

No kidding. If you are going to build it that big, just get in and fly it. That looks at least 3/4 scale.

Ever try and fly one of those things? I've heard they're a handful. At least when I crashed the RC stuff no one was hurt.

I am another that just doesn't get the nearly full size RC stuff. Don't get me wrong - I love to see these vids, but once you're at or exceeded cost to fly full size from inside... why not?

I started with a tether line Corsair that I got from selling garden seeds off the back of a comic book years back (so far back that a google search for it lists it as "Vintage!")

$_1.JPG

After a number of crashes, a few flights and more crashes, I became an 10 year old A&P ... or maybe an aircraft salvage mechanic?

Anyone can learn to fly a RC airplane these days without help. Many come assembled and ready to fly with self recovery panic mode to prevent crashes.

I am another that just doesn't get the nearly full size RC stuff. Don't get me wrong - I love to see these vids, but once you're at or exceeded cost to fly full size from inside... why not?

I started with a tether line Corsair that I got from selling garden seeds off the back of a comic book years back (so far back that a google search for it lists it as "Vintage!")

$_1.JPG

After a number of crashes, a few flights and more crashes, I became an 10 year old A&P ... or maybe an aircraft salvage mechanic?

That Cox Corsair was my first control line plane! I saved up and bought it from the JC Penny's catalog. Unfortunately my dad crashed it on it's first flight and the control arm to the elevator broke. Plastic model glue would never hold it so the plane never flew again. :(

Corsair is still my favorite warbird.

John

Maybe he ALSO flies full scale planes.
Or used to and lost his medical. :dunno:

I fly both. Not mutually exclusive.

I'm pretty sure I saw that Fokker Triplane fly - or its double. How many can there be?
This was in September, 2013 at the great R/C meet "Warbirds Over The Rockies" near Greeley, Colorado. Well worth it for aviation fans.

If I recall, this triplane has a 450cc motorcycle engine. For sure, it would comfortably fit a ten-year old.

I do agree - for this much effort, seems like you could build a full-scale plane.

Attachments

• DSC_5682-001.JPG
    DSC_5682-001.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_5240.JPG
    DSC_5240.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_5257.JPG
    DSC_5257.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_5187.JPG
    DSC_5187.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
looks more like Switzerland than the midwest.....sounds like it too. Might be Germany too. Sounds more like Deutsch than Schweizerdeutsch though.....

Frank

Last edited:
I'd like to see that BD5 model flying.

Back