This looks cool.

Um, to me out looks like there something missing... No link, no picture?

Interesting, I'd wonder about drag, UV, jet soot, etc too

I bet you would fly even faster in icing conditions with this stuff o_O

Even if it worked and was cheap as dirt to produce and made ice adhesion impossible and would eliminate all icing deaths, the FAA wouldn't let you have it until it was run through their archaic STC testing process. That would ensure that it was cost prohibitive and no one used it. The FAA is the enemy of its own stated goals sometimes.

/cynicism

I wonder how this would impact drag.

Not sure. I would imagine is
Even if it worked and was cheap as dirt to produce and made ice adhesion impossible and would eliminate all icing deaths, the FAA wouldn't let you have it until it was run through their archaic STC testing process. That would ensure that it was cost prohibitive and no one used it. The FAA is the enemy of its own stated goals sometimes.

/cynicism

Sadly, true. Think of how expensive de-icing gizmos for FIKI airplanes are, and how potentially cheap, inexpensive, and easily applied to existing aircraft this could be, but for the potential regulatory/certification nightmare. The narrator mentions that they think the first commercial use will be in about a year and will be frozen food shipping containers that seem to me to have to be cheap by necessity.

Back