This is your captain speaking..

VTC_WS6

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
VTC_WS6
I did it!! :thumbsup:

Had my checkride today for the PPL, went very well considering how nervous I was. Definatley fortunate my DPE was a smooth easy-going type, said all the right things to put my at east and 'just fly'.

Thankfully I'm off next weekend so it'll be pleanty of flying on order Saturday and Sunday, see you guys and gals in the air :ihih:

I did it!! :thumbsup:

Had my checkride today for the PPL, went very well considering how nervous I was. Definatley fortunate my DPE was a smooth easy-going type, said all the right things to put my at east and 'just fly'.

Thankfully I'm off next weekend so it'll be pleanty of flying on order Saturday and Sunday, see you guys and gals in the air :ihih:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How about a debrief?

Good job - commit aviation frequently!

Best news, Dave.

Give us a "blow by blow" - what you liked, what you didn't, and (of course) what's up next.

Good job! The Naples area seems like it would be a beautiful place to sightsee.

Best news, Dave.

Give us a "blow by blow" - what you liked, what you didn't, and (of course) what's up next.

I presume you're talking about the checkride itself? If so, quite honestly there was little not to like, the DPE as I mentioned was a very smooth & soft talking fellow from the UK (I can't lie, it did help that I kept picturing flying with Austin Powers lol) with a great attitude and what I belive is a great approach to the whole deal. Right off the bat he let me know that, despite what many pilots build up in their minds, he's not looking for perfection, mistakes WILL happen, but it's how I recognize and recover from these deviations that measure how 'compitent' a pilot I am, and that's the stressor.

The oral was fairly quick, maybe a total of 15mins, mostly on my 2 XC trips and on the sectional itself with airspace questions, elevations questions etc.. I did get tripped up on what the minimum equip. list is as per the AIM, but he finally asked me "well, where would you go to find this info?", of course I said "well the FAR/AIM will lay it out for me" to which he responded "well there you go, find it", and sure enough within a minute I found the right section and moved on.

The flight itself was pretty quick, or at least it seemed so to me. KAPF was bustling in the am when we were ready to go, so I had some extra time to just clear my mind and triple check everything I've done. Took off with a soft-field departure, nailed it.. moved right into some basic manuvers after leveling off a bit away from the traffic around Naples. No problems at all with the manuvers, VOR tracking, foggle time etc.., so off to a smaller local strip at Marco Island (KMKY) we went. My one genuine 'screw-up' was calling out the wrong way when I setup in the pattern. I decided to use the 35 approach but for whatever reason, I announced "..entering 45 to the downwind for runway 1-7" on CTAF. Thankfully there was nobody esle in the pattern, and I caught myself just as I aligned myself downwind, so I clarified the announcement immediatley and I could see a smirk on his face, glad I caught there error as much as I was no doubt. He did ask for a T&G, but with the crosswind making me dance all over the place, I didn't get the airplane down as short as I would've liked, with my CFI it would've been an easy T&G, but I didin't want to take any chances so I called it a full stop and we back taxied to the departure end.

Had a minor scarry moment when he asked me to go ahead and setup for a departure back to APF, my initial thought was that it was too soon to be completley satisfied with my landings so I think I just busted the ride.. but I decided to keep going with it as if all was well, did my requested shortfield take off, setup for a short field into APF, pulled a go-around when I realized I wasn't going to make the mark he asked for (1000' marks), so I firewalled the power, setup a another approach, still far from perfect (short fields are easily my biggest short comming) but I got it down in space, taxied to the ramp and was greeted by the DPE with a "...well Captain, congratulations...". :D

Right off the bat he let me know that, despite what many pilots build up in their minds, he's not looking for perfection, mistakes WILL happen, but it's how I recognize and recover from these deviations that measure how 'compitent' a pilot I am...

"Mastery of the airplane" and "outcome of the manuever never seriously in doubt" are the words in the PTS. It's FAR more important to demonstrate that you can self-correct properly than to fly perfectly.

Congratulations from the other side of the pond! :)

Last edited:
Congratulations! It's nice to read about your good checkride experience.

The more checkride stories I read, the more I think my DPE was a pain. My oral exam was three hours long, the flying part was two hours, and that awful examiner made sure that my life was miserable. I never want to see that person again.

Congratulations! It's nice to read about your good checkride experience.

The more checkride stories I read, the more I think my DPE was a pain. My oral exam was three hours long, the flying part was two hours, and that awful examiner made sure that my life was miserable. I never want to see that person again.
Yeah, that's not the kind of story I like reading! :hairraise: IME, 15 minutes for the oral is a bit short; an hour seems about the norm for the private. Three hours is over the top, unless he needed to really delve into something for some reason, which seems unlikely.

congratulations! Good on you, Dave. It's a great feeling.

Thanks folks, I'm still very much on a high from the whole experience lol!

The oral seems short, he may have let you off a little easy there, but nevertheless -- you did it!

Congratulations! Now be real careful and build up some experience! You've got your "license to learn", so learn something or challenge yourself on every flight.

Simple stuff... "Can I block in within 5 minutes of my flight plan? 3 minutes? 1?! Can I hold altitude, heading, and airspeed to 1/2 of the PTS standards? 1/4? Etc. Etc. Etc."

Never stop trying harder.

Meanwhile, enjoy!!! It's an immensely rare accomplishment for humans to be able to fly. Feel blessed you have the opportunity and the required skills!

Man I still gotta get around to taking my ride for the PPL. ;)

Back