This is my opportunity...

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
With one year left of college, I'm having to really start thinking about what I want to do with my life. After talking with my dad and ensuring him that I have a serious interest in pursuing the military aviation route, he tells me that he has a connection with an Air Force guy who I could speak with. When he tells me this, I am honestly just assuming it is some retired Air Force pilot that he has come across. Turns out... this "connection" is a retired 4-star general, former Chief of Staff of the Air Force, and former Commander of Air Combat Command. I don't think connections get much better than that. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the process of getting an OTS bid. Is there anything in particular that I should say or should not say when I meet with this guy? My GPA is around a 3.0 but I am a private pilot a former college athlete. I realize the AFOQT scores are important but is there anything else I can do to make myself more attractive to the powers that be? Thanks.

Act like an adult, be polite, respectfully and honest. Talk about your passions, work ethic and why you want to be an aviation officer.

My sin was being 1/4" too tall sitting height, according or a chunky female airman during a flight physical at Offutt AFB hospital in 1982.

I think you'll do fine. Perhaps brush up on your math for the Officer's exam.

Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

My sin was being 1/4" too tall sitting height, according or a chunky female airman during a flight physical at Offutt AFB hospital in 1982.

I think you'll do fine. Perhaps brush up on your math for the Officer's exam.

Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

This doesn't make me feel good. I am just under 6'4" but have never even considered my sitting height.

This doesn't make me feel good. I am just under 6'4" but have never even considered my sitting height.

Just checked it. I'm a dolphin's chest hair under 40 inches sitting down. It will all depend on how accurate my measurement is, I guess. I may have to request to do the measurement naked to shave off the quarter of a millimeter that the clothing material will add.

Don't worry. I've been told by a USAF Lt. Col. That if I had gone in 3 years earlier or 3 years later, either it wouldn't have mattered, ot I could have received a waiver. Back then the advanced trainer, even if you wanted to fly heavies, which I did, was the T-38. And you had to fit in the ejection seat.

I was told by someone who has ejected you lose a little height from the "experience".
That is common. It is also possible (but not common) to be unfit to ride a seat again and find oneself relegated to non-ejection aircraft. But after 2000 hours in ejection system aircraft, if I had it to do over, I wouldn't trade the experience for the reduction of risk.

Back