This is a new one

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
My friend at work came up to me the other day and said:

"My daughter and I were riding past the little airport and I saw 2 planes coming in for landing. I told my daughter...'I bet someone is soloing. See the 2nd plane behind the 1st. I bet that is the instructor.'"

I didn't know if I should laugh or what not.

So then I told him about my long solo x/c this weekend. He said..."You instructor was behind you the whole time right?" No...that is why the call it solo.

I wonder where people get off saying "Oh you soloed. So your instructor was right there but you were at the controls right?" UH NO!!!!! That is why it is called a solo...you are solo. Just you & the plane.
rolleyes.gif

HPNFlyGirl said:
I wonder where people get off saying "Oh you soloed. So your instructor was right there but you were at the controls right?" UH NO!!!!! That is why it is called a solo...you are solo. Just you & the plane.

Brook. You're going to hear a lot of ridiculous stuff from the average, non-pilot person. They just don't know and its foreign to them to think mere mortals can fly an airplane. Here are some I've heard:

1. Q. You flew here? In a plane??? A. Yes
2. Q. Did Bonnie come with you? A. No, she ran outside the plane as I flew.
3. Q. When you move to Denver, what are you going to do with the plane? A. Its a plane, it flies.
4. Q. Did you have to tell anybody you were coming? A. No, did you have to tell anybody you were coming when you drove here?
5. Q. You have radar to see other planes, right? A. No, we use our eyes first and sometimes ATC also.
6. Q. Isn't flying dangerous? A. Yes it is, what's your point?

I tend to be somewhat more sarcastic...

1. Q. You flew here? In a plane??? A. Yes --Me--> No. We flew in a bus.
3. Q. When you move to Denver, what are you going to do with the plane? A. Its a plane, it flies. --Me--> Sail it there.
5. Q. You have radar to see other planes, right? A. No, we use our eyes first and sometimes ATC also. --Me--> and if we forget to file a flight plan we crash and die.
6. Q. Isn't flying dangerous? A. Yes it is, what's your point? --Me--> Safer than any road you're on!
;)

Greebo said:

Ha! Obviuosly. The best question I got before we moved after the string of plane related stuff was actually unrelated to flying.

Q. Your moving? A. Yes.
Q. What about the dog??? A. We're going to shoot him and bury him in the backyard.

:)

If I am near the internet, I like to go to dictionary.com and read the definition of solo.

It doesn't help.

When I first got my license, friends would invariably ask if I took my kids up. When I said sure, all the time, I'd always get, "Your wife let you fly with the kids?!"

As if the thought of me perishing in a diving ball of flames is OK, but somehow it's offensive to think the kids might be with me. :rolleyes:

That is a new one for me too, Brook. I tend to take the sarcastic approach, too, anymore. The last flight I had at PHI I was working a different rig, so all new roughnecks and invariably, one of them has to ask 'uh, are you our pilot?' This was not a new question so I had a whole host of responses, but this day I tried a new one.

"yeah, and at least if we get lost I'm not afraid to pull over and ask for directions"

Couldn't have been better timing, dispatch called us enroute to the beach to do a 'swing by' at another platform and pickup one more guy. Roughnecks in the back didn't know what was going on so when we landed I got on the intercom and told them we'd be on our way just as soon as I asked which way the beach was.

It was a nice quiet flight home.

'uh, are you our pilot?'

"no, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Select last night"

Laurie said:
"yeah, and at least if we get lost I'm not afraid to pull over and ask for directions"

Hey! I resemble that remark! Don't need to ask directions, I've got a GPS. ;)

Think your pretty smart, eh Laurie? :)

The stupid stuff can be kind of funny. Can't blame folks just because they are un edjumakated in our ways. What really irks me is when my wife's friends say to her. You LET him fly? or I can't believe you LET him fly. It kinda ticks her off too. One day I want her to answer " Well he let me eat at the table with the rest of the family so I figured I had to LET him fly"

Re: 'uh, are you our pilot?'

Gerhardt said:
"no, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Select last night"

Holiday Inn Express, Dude. And yeah, I've used that one too, but it was getting old. :goofy:

Anthony said:
Hey! I resemble that remark! Don't need to ask directions, I've got a GPS. ;)

Think your pretty smart, eh Laurie? :)

Well, yeah. :goofy:

Greebo said:

1. Q. You flew here? In a plane??? A. Yes --Me--> No. We flew in a bus.

To which they say: "Oh, on the airline?"

HPNFlyGirl said:
"My daughter and I were riding past the little airport and I saw 2 planes coming in for landing. I told my daughter...'I bet someone is soloing. See the 2nd plane behind the 1st. I bet that is the instructor.'"
Maybe he's an A-10 pilot -- that's how the Hogs do flight training.

It was after my solo that my non-flying friends -- those who know my physical limitations -- would say, calmly and seriously, "How is it that the FAA can allow a half-blind / half deaf guy to fly that plane, unsupervised?

"Oh, I was supervised. He was on the ground and had his radio to talk to me if I ran into trouble." The blank stares were worth a bundle.

HR

Laurie said:
That is a new one for me too, Brook. I tend to take the sarcastic approach, too, anymore. The last flight I had at PHI I was working a different rig, so all new roughnecks and invariably, one of them has to ask 'uh, are you our pilot?' This was not a new question so I had a whole host of responses, but this day I tried a new one.

Laurie..you're my new idol. (as if flying helicopters wasn't reason enough!) :D

Many years ago I used to get similar, and equally stupid remarks when I was the first on scene on a call as an officer. More than once I was asked if I was the disptacher. "Uh yeah, they send us to find the place so we can tell the officers how to get here." Sheeesh. :yes:

HPNFlyGirl said:
My friend at work came up to me the other day and said:

I didn't know if I should laugh or what not.

So then I told him about my long solo x/c this weekend. He said..."You instructor was behind you the whole time right?" No...that is why the call it solo.

rolleyes.gif
Had pretty much the same misunderstanding, with a customer of mine the other day. For some reason, non-pilots think that soloing means that the instructor finally lets you have the controls to yourself, for the first time.:rofl:
Try to cut them some slack, the press has done a good job of making the sheep afraid of those little planes, hell the big ones too for that matter!

My favorite is always "Have you ever crashed?" I just give em a "Heck Ya! Come on for a ride and we'll do one!"

Henning said:
My favorite is always "Have you ever crashed?" I just give em a "Heck Ya! Come on for a ride and we'll do one!"

Soooo Henning...how many times HAVE you crashed? :rofl:

HPNFlyGirl said:
Soooo Henning...how many times HAVE you crashed? :rofl:

3, 4 if you count the 150, since I only damaged the wings, I don't really count it.

I've once been asked about flying:

"how do you know where you're going?" "doesn't it all look the same from up there?"

.... Well to be honest, the midwest does all look the same from the air...

Laurie said:
Couldn't have been better timing, dispatch called us enroute to the beach to do a 'swing by' at another platform and pickup one more guy. Roughnecks in the back didn't know what was going on so when we landed I got on the intercom and told them we'd be on our way just as soon as I asked which way the beach was.

This... THIS is a Truly Golden Moment!

Fortunately, you rarely find redneck chauvinists working rigs.

(snort.. guffaw....)

Greebo said:

6. Q. Isn't flying dangerous? A. Yes it is, what's your point? --Me--> Safer than any road you're on!

Me:

Q: Isn't flying dangerous? A. Flying is safe. Crashing is dangerous.

These are the same people who believe Air Traffic Controllers are the ones on the tarmac with the flashlights or orange sticks helping to park aircraft.

RogerT said:
Smart? Well .. somewhere I have a pic of her jumping out of
an airplane. You be the judge.

;-)

I didn't 'jump' really, I kinda fell after being pushed. And you saw that plane, I was glad I had a parachute!!

CardinalTom said:
These are the same people who believe Air Traffic Controllers are the ones on the tarmac with the flashlights or orange sticks helping to park aircraft.
No, that's Ground Control!

Back