this guy's (thumbs up) solo videos!

As the world's best pilot, let me just say congrats on your solo...it's a fantastic life achievement.

The 'ride the wheelie' thing is a fun one in a 150/152 and you have plenty of runway since that thing will pull the nose off of the ground pretty easily. When I was a student my instructor observed that I was making great landings except once my mains touched down I would just 'give up' and release backpressure letting the nosewheel fall to the ground, instead of holding it off and gently setting it down. Riding the wheelie will help you with this, soft field takeoffs/landings and rudder control as you won't have any nosewheel steering.

I'd get a little practice with your instructor if you have not done soft/short field landings yet as i've seen a lot of damaged tail tie downs on 152's from students dragging the tail down the runway

Last edited:
I "wheelie" my R182 regularly, well every takeoff and landing. On takeoff I gently bring in back pressure until the nose wheel pressure is released. It helps keep the fragile Cessna shimney dampener in check. Just because you're "wheeling" it down the runway on take off or landing doesn't mean you're doing it so severely that the tail drags. I did it a bunch in a Warrior too, it's almost more difficult not to drag the tail in a lighter airplane because the controls are lighter.

Honestly though, you just flew an airplane, by yourself for the first time and landed on a 38' runway. You have a lot to be proud of. Congratulations.

I prefer the smaller runways because they required more attention and skill.

Great!! Come on out to KPFC:

Runway 14/32

Dimensions: 1875 x 30 ft. / 572 x 9 m
Runway edge markings: RWY 14/32 NSTD BSC MARKINGS, MARKINGS NSTD SIZE/PLACEMENT AND RWY EDGE MARKINGS
RUNWAY 14 RUNWAY 32
Gradient: 0.1% 0.1%
Traffic pattern: left left
Displaced threshold: 300 ft. no
Markings: NSTD, in good condition NSTD, in good condition
Obstructions: 36 ft. tree, 464 ft. from runway, 7:1 slope to clear
CABLED FNC & HWY 2' FM RY END; BLDGS, ANT, LUMBER PILES, POLES & MISC EQUIP TO +30' FM 50' TO +200' FM RY END. 35 ft. trees, 1090 ft. from runway, 25:1 slope to clear

Great!! Come on out to KPFC:

Looked up that airport on AirNav..HAHAHA..I love the Remarks!!!

E94 SAWRS
- RY MAY BE UNDER WATER DURING WINTER HIGH TIDES.
- OWNER ADZS CTC WITH DEPT OF AVIATION 503-378-4880 PRIOR TO USE.
- SOFT & MARSHY OFF PAVED AREAS.
- RAMP IN POOR CONDITION
- OCCASIONAL DRIFTWOOD ON RWY DUE TO FLOODING
- DOWNWIND LNDGS NOT RCMDD AND MAY NOT BE PSBL.
- MANY CLOSE IN OBSTNS ON BOTH SIDES OF RY. EXPECT LOW LEVEL TURBULENCE DURG CROSSWIND CONDS.
- ASSORTED TREES AND 40 FT POWERLINE AT 500 FT NORTH OF RY.

John,

Now i'm anxious to go to a nice wide runway airport and see what happens solo! Hah

6001x150 at one of the airports I'm considering training out of.

When we swung the 172 on to the runway, I literally said out loud "wow, that's a big-@@@ runway." My instructor just laughed. The runway was literally the only thing you could see out any window.

OP: Nice landings! I will be lucky if mine to look that good when it's my turn. :)

I'd gotten used to flying off the 75' wide runway at KMLE, which is plenty big. On my student X/C I landed at KGRI... runway 17/35 is 7002 x 150. It really does mess with you. I dropped it from a couple of feet up, because all the grass disappears from your peripheral vision and you are convinced you HAVE to be on the ground by now.

Hey, its this guy that solo'd yesterday! (sorry, its cheesy but it makes me laugh)...Just got my videos back from my CFI and posted to YouTube...Hopefully I can get some worthy critism other then just YOU SUCK! I felt I needed to flare more..I came in a bit high, and as a result of trying to go down I gained unwanted airspeed resulting in the float...but I know what I did wrong and know what I need to work on....

First - http://youtu.be/-vjIVW9RqaM

Second - http://youtu.be/xbFsUPgAwb4

Third - http://youtu.be/jT_jEP6qnMs (Blurry though until end)
Good job, you did not hit on car on short final! That's something these days. :D:D:D

Back