This Book Stinks !!!

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Since my wife and I are both voracious readers we frequently buy a load of used books.

We recently picked up a load at the local Habitat for Humanities. Upon trying to read what looked like a pretty good book we were overwhelmed with tobacco stink.

I mean this book stunk.:yikes: Even our hands stink after touching it.

Does anyone have an idea of how to "de-stink" this book??

Good read or not--it's going in the land fill if I can't deodorize it.:frown3:

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1
www.indianhillsairpark.com

Vinegar is acidic, and will remove tobacco smell. Can't say it will do the pages any good though...

Maybe put it in a zip loc bag full of baking soda for a few days?

Or have a skunk squirt it and hope the two smells cancel each other.

Start smoking. Solves many problems (including this one).

I've gotten smoke smell out of guitar cases by leaving them in the sun (and using Febreze).

So, what's the book about? Effects of second hand smoke? :D

Place three fabric softener sheets in an airtight bag along with the book and allow it to sit for 48 hours. The book should smell fresh and clean when you pull it out.

I'm here to tell you, fabric softener sheets in bulk are lethal! Was in a pick up truck one day with a farmer who had a box of fabric softener sheets spilled all over the inside of the cab...and was it strong! He informed me that he has them in the truck because he uses them to put on on tree bark and other plants to keep the deer away...and I believe it when he says it works! LOL

Since that day I use fabric softeners sheets for air freshener in boxes I keep in storage...helps keep the stuff smelling like fabric softener sheets. :yesnod:

I am using my suegros old humidor (solid handmade teak. Beautiful thing) to stash my little pocket watch collection. Been having fits getting the smell out of it. I get it out for a week, and it comes back with a vengeance.

Well it's now sealed up in a gallon zip lock baggie with a ton of fabric softener sheets interleaved between the pages. I'll take it out in a week or so and leave it out in our Arizona sun for a while. While it's getting a sun tan I'll squirt it with some Fabrize.

I'll report back with results.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1
www.indianhillsairpark.com

How did your de-stinking experiment go? Sunshine is generally the best. (But not Oregon sunshine, I tried that... got wrinkly wet pages that never straighten out right.)

Just curious. My usual solution is the dryer sheets, or dried aromatic herbs (sage, rosemary, etc.) between pages, baking soda, and a few days in the freezer with pages fanned open (and a dish of baking soda or activated charcoal so the freezer doesn't end up stinky.)

Back