Third class medical duration?

swingwing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Swingwing
Reading througth FAR Part 61.23 the duration of the third class medical for a pilot under 40 is 60 months. When did this change?

Hmm,,,. around 7-23-08 I think,... if I saved this PDF correctly with the date in the file-name.

The published FAR books are just getting it in if you are buying one from Sporty's or something. I bought a 2010 version of the AIM/FAR, but it was published in late fall of 09, and it didn't have it listed in there yet.

Attachments

• 080723medical.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 264
Thanks Rob.

The 2010 FAR/Aim I just purchased had this update.

Now my question is, what applies to my medical that was issued in 2007, the current reg. or the reg. at the time the medical was issued? The time limit specified on the back of my certificate says "24 or 36 calender month, as set forth in 61.23"

Well,.. way I understand it, it went into effect in 2008. So my medical I had in January of 08 is now current till 2013. It is the 60th month after the date of exam on the medical certificate.

As long as your medical exam was completed before your 40th birthday, you follow the new extended criteria. People were going to get their medicals before their 40th birthday even if they had a year left on their current one, so it would be valid for the 5 years per the reg.

Also, the changes were retroactive. For example:

Medical issued 4 years before the change to an airman who was 39 years old (or 29 for that matter, just before 40th birthday).

Airman let medical expire under the old 3 year rule (36 months was the old, not 40). Then when this new reg came into force, poof, the medical magically "unexpired" and was valid for another year.

That's because the medicals don't have an expiry date per se (unless you have an SI that is...otherwise, I defy you to find an expiry date on your medical). They have an exam date, and the regulations specify how long you can look back to find an exam date to be valid.

For any medical issued prior to your 40th birthday

1st class- valid for 1 year, then reverts to 3rd for 4 more.
2nd class-valid for 1 year, then reverts to 3rd for 4 more.
3rd class-valid for 5 years. There are some airmen who will just pass their 45th birday when they need another exam. FOR EXAMPLE, an exam done five days before your birthday at the beginning of the month, will last beyond your birthday to the end of the month AFTER your birthday 5 years + some days later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back